Menu

Former Homeschooler

Guest drakensdottir

Guest drakensdottir

I am not married, and I have no children.

However, I was homeschooled all the way up until college.

I joined because I saw a thread (on Tapestry of Grace, actually) that had some questions that I felt I could have answered, at least, from the perspective of student. I feel that former students could offer a lot of input to homeschooling parents - we're the ones who you're affecting after all. ;)

I've done a wide variety of curriculum, including:

Calvert

Tapestry of Grace

Covenant (despised it and convinced my mother to let me switch to the next grade of Calvert in lieu of finishing 5th)

Abeka

BJU

Sonlight

The Potter's School

Saxon

Math-U-See

Jacobs

TeenPact

Shirley Grammar

Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing

Barry Stebbing

The Learnables

Rosetta Stone

Hey, Andrew (Greek)

Oxford Latin

Wheelocks Latin

Memoria Press

Apologia

Alphaphonics (both used it myself, and used it to help teach younger siblings)

I tend to be one of those students with very strong feelings about what we used. I also took fairly well to self-driven study.

I have been through almost every shade of Protestant whilst homeschooling, as well as Eastern Orthodox (and I did ToG when I was Orthodox). I am no longer Christian, but, that has nothing to do with my homeschooling background.

However, I never did portfolio review or standardized testing - we were a NAPS.

I firmly believe that I had an excellent education, but, I also have friends who feel their homeschool education was lacking. I want to do anything I can to help ensure that homeschool students do get an education that is right for them, by offering the perspective of a student, especially when parents haven't been homeschooled themselves. :-)

Other than that, I'm a geek, a certified massage therapist, and a costumer. (Yes, I made it to the real world with a real job! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest thesixfam

That is quite the list. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the different math curriculums and why they did or did not work for you.

Thanks.