Menu

Reverent Agnostic "Christmas" book suggestions?

jmarchman

Hi all,

I am looking for "Christmas"/Solstice read-aloud suggestions for ages 5-11.  Anything that emphasizes giving of self rather than receiving, and Light/Hope/Spirit shining in Darkness, social justice, multicultural.  There are so many holiday stories that it is hard to weed through them all to find these themes.  I'm really trying to avoid the nativity stories and the commercial Rudolph/Santa/Frosty ones as well.  Any suggestions? 

TIA!!

Jennifer

Charles Dicken's Christmas Carol???

Of course Scroge is just that, a scroge. But he learns to give of himself and help to over come social injustice.  I see light that shines in darkness when one learns to think of others instead of himself. Hope, for the needy, by those who care, during a time when poor was considered cast off. Not sure if this is what you are looking for. I'm unashamedly Christian so I may not be understanding your request.

Yes, you have the idea, Susie!  I'm not anti-Christian at all, and I'm sure there are many good Christian books that fit the bill.  What I am *not* wanting is the salvation path version of Christianity (Jesus in the manger stories) or commercial stories.

Christmas Carol is a good one, but I am holding off a few more years on that one.  My kiddos aren't ready for the language style of it.  I'm looking more for picture books, I think.

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey - picture book - definitely Christian, and the character is carving a nativity, but it's not a "Jesus saves!" sort of book - very touching and sweet about a man who has become a sort of misanthrope and the boy who helps him reconnect - my spiritual but atheist dh loves it too.

The Twenty-Four Days Before Christmas by Madeleine L'Engle - very short chapter book with pictures - also Christian, there's a church pageant plot, and the big surprise at the end is slightly early birth of the mother's baby, clearly mirroring the Christmas story - the narrator has to put aside her own pride and wants to appreciate the Christmas they get, not the one she envisioned.

Great Joy by Kate DiCamillo - picture book - also clearly Christian, with another pageant plot, but very short and focused on the main character helping a homeless man.

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever - not too long chapter book - clearly Christian, but the focus is on the wild kids and how they get the Christmas spirit and the Christmas story better than the privileged families who are more concerned about decorum and manners than the real Christmas spirit.

I'm trying to think of some really not Christian ones, but they're all very little kid things or very commercial things or aren't really about the values you mentioned.

Oh, I thought of a couple more - Patricia Polacco has some Christmas titles - The Christmas Tapestry has a cross-cultural element because there's a Jewish woman who shares her story and An Orange for Frankie is a sweet story about giving.  And she has a couple of others that I've haven't read, but I'm sure they're in the vein of what the OP is looking for since Polacco writes longer picture books that can be appreciated by older kids with nuanced lessons and often includes multicultural themes.