Menu

Wobble chairs (x-post from chat board)

Element

Does anyone have a Kore or Hokki wobble chair? Dd prefers to sit on a large ball, but it's really difficult for her to *stay* on an object that is so much fun to bounce against the wall, floor, her, and her brother. :glare:  I wondered if anyone here has had luck with either of these products (or something similar) for a child (or yourself!)

I'm not sure about either of the products you mentioned but my oldest son sits on a balance disk. I've considered a ball but I think it would just be asking for trouble with him.

Is it hard or soft? Is it something you put on top of a chair? I checked them out on Amazon, but I still don't really understand them. :)

They make bases for the balance balls that make them less mobile. http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Balance-Ball-Chair-Black/dp/B0007VB4NE

Though that doesn't stop one from removing the ball and throwing it around the room, I suppose, and the wheels might be at least as much of a problem.

Thanks, but unfortunately, I think you're right.  She has been on a ball for a couple of years and it has not gotten to be less of a distraction over time. I fear having her on a removable ball and a wheeled thing? Would send me over the edge. I'm pretty sure there would be even less sitting and more fidgeting. :D

Element, you asked if it is something that sits on top of a chair?

But that made me think of the idea of a 'balance chair'?

Which I'm now thinking of trying to build?

Basically it would use an office chair.  The normal type with wheels, and the chair sits on top of a single vertical metal tube.

Where the chair is fixed to a plate at the top of the metal tube.

But this plate between the chair and tube, could be replaced.  With a free moving ball at the top of tube.

With the chair attached to the ball on the top of the tube.

So that the chair swings around on the ball, as it isn't fixed in place.

Which means that one would have to maintain it in position.

The arc that it can swing could be limited to a safe arc.

This would have the same effect as sitting on a balance ball, or a disc on top of a ball.

It just reduces the size of the ball, to perhaps 3 or 4 inches?

Though it could also use what it is called a 'Universal Joint'?

Given that office chairs are bolted to the top of the vertical support metal tube.

This 'Universal Joint' could simply be fitted between the chair and tube on any office chair?

Crucially sitting on this, would involve the same secondary attention focus, and proprioceptive/ motor control.

It would also remove all of the problems with a large ball ?

A further thing, is that it would be more discrete.  Where sitting on a balance ball, is visible to everyone.

So I'll have to go and make one and try it out?