Menu

Need gift ideas for my almost 11 yo dd

tammyw

My 10 year-old dd loved the small loom I got her last year, and enjoys cross-stitch kits and knitting supplies. She still uses the oil pastels and sewing supplies she got last year. This year she is getting a rock tumbler that she wanted for making jewelry. She also likes legos, books, bath and beauty stuff, and clothes.

Not knowing where you live or what is offered at local studios I say, what about a workshop or intensive with a professional? Maybe even if you have to travel further than normal for it.

She actually takes these fabulous weekly art lessons! Right next door to her ballet studio :) This is the problem - she doesn't need much!!

She actually takes these fabulous weekly art lessons! Right next door to her ballet studio :) This is the problem - she doesn't need much!!

Right, but doesn't the studio ever host guest umm masters (??) in their trade? DS speed skates and I have taken him to weekend workshops where he works with Olympic medalists and their coaches. It is a huge deal for him and he has a blast. Is there anything like that for ballet? DS isn't going to the Olympics but he still loves working with and learning from the best in his sport.

My dd11 is getting (from us and other relatives) the game Colorku, a Rainbow Loom to share with her sis, a fleece robe, a booklight, a fiddle music book or CD, an olive oil lantern, colonial garb (she loves both history and drama), maybe a crossstitch kit and probably sewing lessons, since she's into period dress.  Maybe a few more stocking stuffers as yet TBD.  I think of this age as such an amazing time both to develop their individual interests and to challenge them intellectually.  

Since she's into art, maybe the workbook that goes with Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, a yummy art history reference book, or some really lovely art supplies?  Gift cards are always a thrill for my girls, too--maybe to an art store?  Or a dance or clothing store?  Or a museum/science center gift shop?  Or a restaurant where she could treat a friend or two while a parent sits at another table?  I'm always surprised what my girls pick out when they have free rein with a gift card.

I have my eye on this book for dd11:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0131833006/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1RVQ85F6NZ123&coliid=IK0VE5KJS5HS7

I'm just loving this age.  It's my first time with an 11 year old and they are so much fun.  :)

Amy

Are there any plays/musicals coming to town that she might enjoy? A ballet performance?

An art caddy to keep supplies

Higher end supplies and papers

A light box for tracing

Maybe one of Keri Smith's books

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-Can-Art-SUMI-E-Painting/dp/B0030HN0ZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385411667&sr=8-1&keywords=eye+can there are a few kits made by Eye Can Art

printed duct tape