Menu

Help with car choice!

Shelly in IL

Check out the Subaru Forester or Outback/Legacy Wagon

With our two kids & two dogs we find the Outback cramped.  If everyone is in the car we have almost no room for packing anything, besides ourselves and the dogs.  We prefer my Dh's Nissan Pathfinder.  Unless it has been redesigned, our Subaru dealer told us the Forester has less interior room than the Outback.  It is higher off the ground, which fools people--that's according to the dealer we bought from a few years ago.

ETA:  I think I messed that up and there is more headroom, not higher off the ground, still less actual interior space.  My memory isn't so good.

With our two kids & two dogs we find the Outback cramped.  If everyone is in the car we have almost no room for packing anything, besides ourselves and the dogs.  We prefer my Dh's Nissan Pathfinder.  Unless it has been redesigned, our Subaru dealer told us the Forester has less interior room than the Outback.  It is higher off the ground, which fools people--that's according to the dealer we bought from a few years ago.

ETA:  I think I messed that up and there is more headroom, not higher off the ground, still less actual interior space.  My memory isn't so good.

You are right.  The Forester has more headroom, is a bit narrower (good for narrow parking lots)  and gets better gas mileage.  I would guess the interior is more like a small/midsize sedan but for 2 adults/2 average size kids, it would seat 4 comfortably.  Assuming the dogs are in the back with a gate or crate to secure them they would travel fine.  A box added for storage up top keeps it out of the way and free from doggie damage. 

The Outback is wider and more of a mid/large sedan size inside.  It is still like an average car for parking but doesn't manuver in and out of tiny spots as easy as the Forester (I live in a city and am on school campuses A LOT so this was a factor for me when I was ruling out other SUV style cars).    I went from an Accord to the Outback and find it similar to park.  Since is it wider, the doggies will have more room.  If they are small crated dogs, you could most likely still put a suit case or two in with the crates.  The back area is pretty big ;0)

The fuel milage difference is about what you would expect going between a small/midsize to a mid/large size sedan.  

I love my Subaru Outback -- roomy, easy to drive & park, good in snow. The Outback was redesigned a few years ago to make it more SUV-like. My dealer says that is what people wanted. Ugh! The older ones are more like big station wagons -- a little off the ground, but not so high or big in front that you can't park easily. Have you thought of getting one of those roof clamshells, I think they are called, for extra gear?

we love our mazda 5.... a lot!  ours seats six.  the back two setas fold down in a second to make a great place for dogs and/or luggage.  the middle two seats also fold down, but its a bit more time consuming, and i almost always have kids with me anyway.  mileage is good, handling is good....

hth,

ann