Menu

Killgallon Sentence Composing -- do your kids write out all the exercises?

Tardis Girl

I just started reading through the exercises and was planning to start this pretty much right away. I'm wondering if those of you who love/use this book have your kids write out every exercise, or do you just have them talk through them when it's an exercise that lends itself to that?

I guess more to the point, do you think that much of the VALUE of the exercise relies on the actual "putting pen to paper" to help really solidify the skills and actual point of the lesson? 

We aren't very far into this, but so far, I'm picking and choosing. Some we discuss together, some he writes out. I think there's value to writing out many of the exercises, but mine is a bit pencil-averse, so I'd rather focus, for now, on working with the words and how they fit together well, if that makes sense.

At first we did it orally. I didn't think it was sticking, so I switched to having her write out the sentences.  I'm much happier with this.  It's good practice, and it makes the models "stick" better.  

We're using Grammar for Middle School, btw.  It is a much better book than Sentence composing for middle school, much more straightforward exercises.  They are definitely redundant content, but GfMS is much better in that it uses the grammatical terms.  

We do it orally, but we discuss a lot and don't follow the book precisely. When he comes up with one he particularly likes, he records it in a notebook. Usually in a session, he orally composes lots of sentences and writes down 1-3 of them. (We do the same thing with the copia exercises in WWS. We try to spend 10-20 minutes on this kind of sentence work -- Killgallon, WWS copia, or exercises of my own -- most days.) He's accumulating quite a nice collection of sentences in his notebook that might inspire a story in the future.