Menu

Boadies Helping Boardies Year 2

Parrothead

Last year there was an interest in assisting those in need during the holiday season so Boardies Helping Boardies was born.  Those with the means to help someone else during the Christmas/Holiday season gave to those who needed the help.  There was a pretty wide range of donations, from gift cards for food and gas to store bought gifts to homemade gifts, to gently used gifts.  We had such a tremendous response that I was pretty much able to match up 2 donating families with each family in need.

I'm starting a bit earlier this year to allow for more time.

I think the only rule was that if a person had a need said person had to have been a member more than 3 months. That would prevent lots of people from joining during the season asking for handouts. So unless there  is a great outcry from the members I'm going to stick with the 3 month criteria, unless someone is willing to vouch for a newbie in need.

So here is how it works.  If you and your family have a need for the Christmas/Holiday season PM me with the need.  This can be anything holiday related.  If your family is desperately scraping together gas money to get to grandma's for Christmas where you will have food and gifts, then ask for help with gas.  Don't ask for gas if you have everything you need at your fingertips and want to go visit just because it is Christmas.  If you can't afford to feed your family a special meal, ask for help with food.  Don't as if you are just feeling lazy and want a Honey-Baked ham for Christmas dinner. If you need help putting a gift under the tree or in a stocking for Christmas then ask for help.  If your kid wants an iPhone5s and you've already spend the Christmas budget on six other electronics for him, consider being a boardie who helps someone out this season.

PM me your need.  If you are asking for something specific like clothing I'll need ages/sizes.   I'll post what is being asked for anonymously in this thread. Generally an answer comes within a few hours.  I'll then put the giver in touch with the person who needs help. 

If you are a boardie willing to share what you have with someone in less than ideal circumstances, please PM me with what you are willing to give.  If you want to give a gift card please indicate how much and from what store(s). For example, if you can give $50 in Amazon cards let me know if that can be divided into two gifts of $25 or if you want to keep it at the entire amount.  If you have had a very good year and can help a large family please indicate that.  If you prefer to shop yourself and will have what you've purchased shipped, please let me know in the PM.

I'd like to thank everyone who has already PMed me about this year.  I have your messages and will be getting back to you as soon as I am able to match you up with someone in need.

And an advanced thank you to those who will generously share this season. I couldn't do Boardies Helping Boardies without you. Thank you.

Bumping.  I can help with a small gift card or gift.  I want to pay it forward and hopefully I can do that in the bigger way next year.  I'm helping make Christmas for 2 local families, too, so unfortunately, I don't have a lot extra, but there is some!

Wait.  I'm going to add this--I posted it to another board I am on a week or two ago:

I just wanted to tell everyone a story about our Christmas last year and encourage you to try and help someone else if you can. We don't have a lot of extra this year either, but I am seeing opportunities everywhere where we can help others!

Last year, I nearly died from an aortic aneurysm and was in the hospital (in Peoria, then ambulanced up to ICU in Chicago awaiting a heart transplant) for almost a month. Then, was off work for 3 more months recovering at home (doctors are still trying to explain why my heart started beating again on it's own and I didn't end up needing the transplant). My dh drove 4 hours back and forth to Chicago for weeks to be with me and also had much lost time from work. I never saw the final hospital bill, but was told that it approached the $1 million mark. Thank God for insurance! We still had a lot to pay, but it was just a drop in the bucket. Anyway, as Christmas approached, we really had nothing to spend on the kids. I posted on fb about my 15yo wanting a weight machine and a member of our church got ahold of us and gave us a nautilus for him that had been in their garage for years. How awesome!
But I still didn't have anything for dd12 and ds7 (the little guy is easy to please and would have been happy with books). I saw on a board I frequent that people were organizing others to help those in need for Christmas and told the lady who heads it up that I just needed a gift for my dd, because there is no way I could get her an equal gift to the one her brother received for free. Well, these ladies matched me with two other families, one of which hooked up with her small group from church, and they sent Cassie everything she needed to redecorate her entire room!! Everyone did just a little and it added up to a WHOLE lot of love and kindness that our family received.  Cassie was so thrilled, I can't even put words to it.  They even had extra money that they put on a gas card and sent gifts for the boys, even though I had stated I just needed something for my dd. It was an amazing example of God's love.

And I just love those of you who are blessing others this year (you know who you are)! Thank you!!

So, that is my story of how "Boardies helping Boardies" changed our Christmas last year.  I meant to get out thank you notes and pictures to those here who helped, but I ran into technological difficulties and then just kept procastinating.  I hope you all know who you are!!  I will never forget you!

I received this in a PM.  If anyone is interested or knows of someone in need of these items please PM me. 

We can help with several new and gently used coats and snow pants.  The snow pants are smaller sizes 2t- 6  the coats run the gammit.  If someone is needing the new coats, let me know, they are size 14 girls.  I have both boy and girl used coats from size 2 -14.  I can also get new hats and gloves to go with.

I can still participate from way over on this side of the world, right? It's cost prohibitive to ship things from here. :( I've never tried it before, but I think I can buy an amazon gift card online and send it to someone if I knew who to send it to. Would that work?

I'm sure it would work.  I buy amazon ecards for my brother.  All need is his email address.  Although he is in a different state, not a different country.

Well, I guess all we need are some people in need! 

Seems like maybe 2013 was better for a lot of people.  But I have had a handful of requests for help.  I've matched one person up with a helper and I have possibly another.  There are two waiting for just the right person to offer to help.  I'm sure that will happen.  I have a lot of helpers waiting, and it is early yet.

I would just like to say that this board and the ever so amazing board members made my children's Christmas last year. There absolutely would not have been presents under that tree without the generosity of those families. Our family is forever grateful to them. I had hoped to be on the "pay it forward" train this year, but alas, this is not the year for that. :) Maybe after college? We are forever grateful for those of you that helped last year. We may be in the same boat that we were last year, but THIS year we are learning to give to others without having to use money. You don't have to have money to give to others. Shoveling snow? Making christmas cookies for neighbors? Visiting a lonely friend? Those are all things that can be done without money. So, if you are in the same boat that I am this year... don't be discouraged. Remember that there is always a way to give.

It was really, really, really hard for me to accept help last year, because I had been so used to being the one to give to others. I guess there must have been some pride wrapped up in that I hadn't realized was there. It taught us something, though, and I think we're better off for it.

Thank you boardies helping boardies!!!

I can still participate from way over on this side of the world, right? It's cost prohibitive to ship things from here. :( I've never tried it before, but I think I can buy an amazon gift card online and send it to someone if I knew who to send it to. Would that work?

Sure.

I just hope that those who offer help actually follow through.  I was emailed by admin twice last year for my address, and I shared it with them.  I was told there were requests to help, and nothing ever came of it.  Don't get me wrong...I was ok with not receiving anything, but it did burn me on sharing my address.  I didn't like the fact that a couple people out there had it for absolutely no reason.  

*ETA--I guess it wasn't admin...but I do know I gave my address to the OP to share with other members who said they wanted to do something.

I just hope that those who offer help actually follow through.  I was emailed by admin twice last year for my address, and I shared it with them.  I was told there were requests to help, and nothing ever came of it.  Don't get me wrong...I was ok with not receiving anything, but it did burn me on sharing my address.  I didn't like the fact that a couple people out there had it for absolutely no reason.  

*ETA--I guess it wasn't admin...but I do know I gave my address to the OP to share with other members who said they wanted to do something.

I'm so sorry.  I had no idea the person I "assigned" to help didn't follow through. 

Just letting everyone know I've not forgotten this.  Things are a little crazy at home for me right now, but I promise I will get keep up with things.  Just not on a daily basis. So if you've PMed me and it has been a while, don't panic.  I'll check in at least twice a week for the first two weeks of December.  As we get closer to Christmas I'll check in more often.

I have received the following.  If you can use these boots please PM me.

I've got a pair of White Stag brown women's boots size 8, fake suede, mid calf, slightly slouchy style, like new (never worn outside), 1 1/2 inch heel, rounded toe, If anyone can use them.

Hi boardies

If you've PMed me to help I have you tentatively matched up with a boardie in need. I'm waiting to hear back with email addresses.  As soon as those start coming in I'll forward that info to you.

If anyone has indicated that you can help and your circumstances have changed, please please let me know.  I feel so bad for Tbog's situation last year. 

I have two requests for specific types of help. I have one family who needs to get to grandma's so they can have presents under the tree. It is a 1200 mile round trip.  I have matched up all tentatively matched up all those offering gift cards to everyone else.  So if anyone (or a bunch of anyones) is willing to send $10 in a card to this family so they can pay or gas, please PM me and I'll send you an address.  If I can find 14 generous people willing to send the $10 in a card to this mom, they should be covered for gas money.

Another request is for a book. But a very specific book.  We all know this mom and her family's hardships over the last 5 years or so. The mom is requesting a verse or quote of inspiration.  If you have a particularly lovely quote or a bible verse that lifts you in times of trouble, please PM me, using the word "Quote" in the subject line, the quote or verse. And anything humorous.  I think this mom could use some humor too. 

I will put the quotes into a Word document over the next few weeks and the week before Christmas I'll have them printed (my contribution to BHB this year) and sent to the mom who requested it. 

Thank you all again for your generosity. 

Peace,

Chuck

I want to tell everyone who didn't know about the board help I received in 2009.  We had moved to FL, dh was making about $15K a year, and we had NOTHING for Christmas.  A post went up for people to specifically help my family, and people came through in a big way.  It made a horrible year end a little better.  I received enough that I was able to share it with another family that I knew that was in dire straits as well.

I'd be more than happy to "pay it forward."

UPDATE:

Looks like we have helped 12 families this season.  The mom who needed gas money to get home should be getting $145 to help out.  And the mom who wanted socks needs to get back with me about a size.  There is a knitter willing to knit a pair for her.  I could still use some inspiring quotes if anyone has any they are willing to share.

Thanks once again to all the generous boardies helping to make someone's holiday season special.

Peace,

Hi all,

If you were a volunteer, please check your PM box for the info for the person you can help.  If your situation has changed and you can no longer participate, please, please send me a PM. 

If you are waiting for a gift from from someone please be patient.  I know this is a stressful time of the year.  Not everyone checks in every day at the forum. I'm not in a position to do so every day any more either. 

Thank you.

Hi everyone.

I'm getting great PMs from people expressing their thanks for all the help you've given this year. To all the boardies who wished to remain anonymous, please know you've been profusely thanks many times over. 

I won't hound anyone individually.  I know life happens and the best of intentions can go bad on a moment's notice.  There was one person who volunteered a certain amount, but her family was facing a sudden medical emergency and could only give a portion of the original.  That said, if you've volunteered to help and something has happened and you can no longer help, please let me know so I can try to find someone else to help the family in need.

Families in need, please understand this is a voluntary thing. I can no more make someone give a donation than I can cough up gold bricks.  I've matched everyone who has asked for help (with the exception of two very new requests) with someone who said they can help. In most cases I've been able to match two volunteers to every one request for need just in case one of those who said they could help has a change of heart.   That is all I can do. 

Everyone else who reads this thread - I've had to late requests.  One from a mom with 3 kids and one mom with a large family (6+ kids).  If there is anyone who felt the need to give assistance later in the month to help out late comers, now is the time. 

Thank you all. 

Bumping one more time. 

It looks like everyone who requested help this year will be or has received something.  I'm waiting to hear back from one boardie who is asking her group (I'm assuming this is a church group) to help out one of the late-comers. As far as I can tell that is the only person waiting for help.  If you've requested help and haven't received anything, please PM me.  I can try to rectify it, but I can't promise.

Thank  you all for your generosity and patience.  All totaled there were 24 boardies helping 16 in need, and another 8 who sent just a wee bit of cash in a Christmas card to the mom who needs to get home for Christmas.

Once again I'm overwhelmed by the generosity and kindness of this fantastic group of people.

Peace