Menu

Supplementing Life of Fred?

pantone

So. I have heard from several people now that "Life of Fred is a great program, but there is simply NOT enough repetition and drills for kids to really nail down the concepts he covers." I want to remedy that. 

Been through Apples to Mineshaft, restarting Fractions in December. 

I've kinda-sorta mucked around in Khan Academy, but I'm not sure it's all that helpful. Any other ideas people have had success with? 

We use it as a supplement only. I have very mixed feelings about Fred but LegoMan LOVES it and devours each book often reading through one in a day. Fred is useful for relating math to real life and for promoting the wonder of math (Fred daydreams about math for example). But I wouldn't use it as a primary curriculum. Granted I hear that from Fractions onward it can be a primary curriculum but I still have a hard time imagining using it that way with LegoMan at least.

I used LOF as a supplement to Singapore until my kids reach Algebra. Then I switch to LOF as the main curriculum with Khan as the supplement. Now the LOF has extra problems for Beginning Algebra there is more practice available.

At the same time I have got to know Khan really well. I am signed on as my daughter's coach and when I see she is struggling a bit with a concept in LOF I go and assign those on Khan (there is a feature where you can suggest what they do next).

As Khan is a supplement, I encourage her to do it by turning the points she gets into rewards - for us, it is a dollar amount she can use towards makeup :). You could obviously offer different things to suit your own children. It could be an outing, extra computer time or anything. Works like a charm. Her math has improved so much (and she was good at it already) and she loves the challenge of getting another concept to turn dark blue in Khan. She is determined to finish all the levels asap!  (I did explain she might find Calculus a little beyond her ...)

My 5th grader and I read through the whole LoF series this summer and are now in Kidneys.    As he got up closer to grade level I didn't think the practice was enough so I bought Math Mammoth Light Blue and we are using that.  This seems to be working very well.  I started a little behind grade level to make sure he was comfortable with the program and that there would not be gaps.  The combination of the two programs is working well for us and I hope we can focus on Life of Fred alone when he gets up to the middle/high school levels.