Menu

Calling all current or former residents of FLORIDA, ARIZONA, OR TEXAS.

Heather in Neverland

We will most likely be moving back to the states two years from now. It actually takes A LOT of planning for "re-entry" into American life and so we are beginning the process. We do not feel tied to any state in particular though our families are in Michigan (we don't plan to ever live there again). But I will need to transfer my education certificates which can take a while and we both need to look for jobs, etc. so we need to get started.

We do want to live somewhere with warm weather most if not all year round.

Where my dh, ds, and dd can play tennis all year round.

With really good options for church.

Also good Christian schools.

Hopefully near Spanish speaking cultures since that is my second language and oldest ds is getting much more fluent as well. We want diversity in our lives.

So we have chosen Florida, Texas, and Arizona as our strongest possibilities.

If you live or have lived in any of those three states, can you tell me which city you lived in and why you love(d) living there? Thanks!!

We loved living in Tucson.  I really liked the school district we were in so I did not have a need to check out the Christian schools although I know people who had kids in them and seemed to liked them well enough.

I hated south Florida and would not ever move back there again but that's just my humble opinion.  I am sure others have had better living experiences there than I did.

I've heard only good things about Texas from friends who have lived there.

Houston sounds perfect.

Pros

-Warm (but humid) weather (don't move here if you can't stand humidity though)

-Lots of diversity with people of all nationalities and shopping/restaurant areas for most

-Wide variety of ethnic and specialty grocery stores

-Lots of Spanish speaking residents

-Excellent medical facilities

-Lovely people

-Friendly people

-Low cost of living

-Great cultural opportunities (museums, theater, art, history, etc)

-Independent minded people - very conservative town overall

-No state income tax

Cons

-Have to pick carefully where you live compared to where you work and worship as traffic can be bad

-almost too many options for things to do at any given time

-Humidity does get tiring but if you visit anywhere else you will think it is way too dry even when the people there are complaining about humidity

-most houses here are built with fireplaces (?? no idea why - it really is wasted space)

-HOAs for almost every neighborhood

-High property taxes (well okay that is for all of Texas!)

South Florida is awful.  Overcrowded, horrible traffic, horrible weather, can't play in the backyard because of fire ants, can't play at the beach because of tar and jelly fish.  Non-stop parking lot in the 20 mile width of land between the ocean and the everglades.  Most of the homeschool groups require SOF, which wouldn't bother you I suppose. 

Not sure I can recommend Florida. I live here, but high cost of living, and too much traffic here in Central Florida. The coast in nice in some places....

We enjoy Central Florida for the low cost of living, lol.  

Florida is so sunny it puts me in a good mood pretty consistently.

Are you looking to work at a private school back in the states? There are many private schools in the Dallas area that meet a variety of needs: an international school, $15k+/year tuition schools, and small and large Christian schools. There are also several university-model schools here. If you need more info on these, feel free to PM me.

Can you elaborate on "good church options" and "good Christian schools?"

I am in the Southeast... and have lived in Texas. Didn't like Texas (sorry Texans). It was a violent weather place, severe temperature swings, hail the size of softballs, and ragweed. Oh the ragweed. Not to mention flat and a severe lack of vegetation.

My top pick so far (before hearing your elaboration on above) would be Jacksonville, FL (south side, St. Johns County), maybe even St. Augustine.

I think the desert SW and its severe lack of humidity and dustiness will leave you wanting. And that's hard for me to say.... I'm originally from the west.

Susan C-

Good point.

If you have bad allergies, TX tends to have a year-round system of something bugging someone with its weather system churning up stuff.  Plus traffic is really horrible for both the DFW and Houston suburbs.  You need to plan where to live and work with that in mind.  I work only 18 miles away and it takes me 40-45 minutes to get to work.  And yep, the view (compared to beautiful island life) is UGLY, flat, and brown.  Kind of depressing from a Prairie POV.

In the Abilene TX area there are a lot of great churches, Beltway Park Baptist does a lot of international missions and has adoption ministries and support.

http://beltway.org/

I talked to a good teacher who has taught at and had her kids at both these schools, one traditional, one classical, she likes both for different things.

http://www.providenceclassical.net/

http://www.abilenechristian.com/

Tennis year round, this is the best tennis teacher we have had in 3 different states and several teachers at each location:

http://www.caseychapa.usptapro.com/default.aspx/MenuItemID/351/MenuGroup/ProHome06.htm

I have had the opportunity to brush up on my Spanish in Abilene, no lack of Spanish speakers, and they are happy to help and humor poor grammar.

It is not a booming metropolis by any means, but you can get to Ft. Worth in under 3 hours.

We loved living in Tucson.  I really liked the school district we were in so I did not have a need to check out the Christian schools although I know people who had kids in them and seemed to liked them well enough.

I hated south Florida and would not ever move back there again but that's just my humble opinion.  I am sure others have had better living experiences there than I did.

I've heard only good things about Texas from friends who have lived there.

I hated S FL, too, and couldn't wait to get out.  It is NOT a good place for raising kids and it is ridiculously expensive. 

It is also a great big sucking hole.  I mean that both literally and metaphorically.

You are correct to plan your "reentry" well in advance of your move to the USA. Many years ago, before I emigrated from the USA, I read that the "culture shock", for Americans moving back to the USA, is far worse than the "culture shock" they encountered, when they emigrated from the USA.

I lived in North Central Texas for 28 years and would vote for you giving very strong consideration to the Lone Star state.  I lived in Dallas and suburbs near it, and in a small city, 66 miles North of Dallas. There are many reasons why so many people move to Texas and why 3 or 4 of every 10  jobs created in the past 10 years in the USA have been created in Texas.  Study all possibilities and much good luck to you and your family, with your eventual choice of a new home town and home state!

I lived in San Antonio way before I had kids, New Braunfels is a fun town, there are a lot of Spanish speakers in the greater San Antonio area. It is much more humid there than Abilene, Abiline is more like AZ humidity wise.

Don Potter really likes his school in Odessa, TX, but prices there have gone up a lot with the oil and gas boom, there are areas of Texas where housing has not caught up with the boom.

We will most likely be moving back to the states two years from now. It actually takes A LOT of planning for "re-entry" into American life and so we are beginning the process. We do not feel tied to any state in particular though our families are in Michigan (we don't plan to ever live there again). But I will need to transfer my education certificates which can take a while and we both need to look for jobs, etc. so we need to get started.

We do want to live somewhere with warm weather most if not all year round.  TX - check

Where my dh, ds, and dd can play tennis all year round.  TX - check

With really good options for church.  I can't remember what your denomination/preference is, but generally TX - check

Also good Christian schools.  See above, but TX - check

Hopefully near Spanish speaking cultures since that is my second language and oldest ds is getting much more fluent as well. We want diversity in our lives.  TX - check

So we have chosen Florida, Texas, and Arizona as our strongest possibilities.

If you live or have lived in any of those three states, can you tell me which city you lived in and why you love(d) living there? Thanks!!

I don't know how easy or hard it is to transfer the education certificates.  TX's economy didn't suffer the effects of other states during the recession and is quite strong in most places.  There is no state income tax, but property taxes can be high depending on where you live.  COL is low and wages are generally good (again depending on your job). 

I live in the central TX area which meets all of your stated criteria. 

We loved Dallas. The skies were amazing and there was lots of sun. We did very occasionally get snow, but it was gone in a couple of hours. The thunderstorms were amazing--but I always felt safe. 

We have lots of private school and church connections there. 

I lived for 3 years as a teen/young adult in the Ft. Lauderdale area and hated it. I wouldn't want to raise kids there. People are people wherever you go--make friends by being one, blahblahblah, but FL is...well, what Audrey said. S FL, at least.

Arizona is too dry and arid (landscape) for me, but ymmv. I've seen some nice areas online there. 

Another vote for Austin/SanAntonio area of Texas.  I live inbetween near Wimberley.

1) It is NOT flat and brown-- it is has hills and lots of green year round (we still have roses/wildflowers blooming and a bit of fall color for fun).

2) Lots of choices in Churches and private schools

3) Not as humid as Houston

4) Not as hot as Dallas/pan handle-- Not as cool in winter either (winter lasts only a few occasional DAYS here!)  Local tennis club plays year round!

5) It was easy to move my teaching certificate--you may have to retest though-- check the TEA website (this board has forever changed the word 'tea' for me-- can't type it without smirking!).

There are many nice areas in AZ. I am in the Phoenix area. The summer here is beyond hot. The fall is beyond hot. The winter can be cool or cold. Spring is nice. It is not for me. I need some rain and clouds. You might like it though it ticks most of your boxes. Prescott, Az is in the high desert, much nicer summer climate, but it does snow. Flagstaff would probably be out. They get a lot of snow in the winter. 

I think Texas might be the best choice out of the three.

No offense to Texans, but I have a very unfavorable opinion of Texas.  I have never had a good experience with anyone I have met IRL from Texas, and usually have had very bad experiences.  They have all been big jerks.  Not to mention that every politician I have been aware of from Texas is a crazy extremist person.  Based on my experiences and perceptions of Texas, I honestly wish it would just secede. 

I'd vote for Arizona or NM, if I were going for perpetually warm.

We enjoy Central Florida for the low cost of living, lol.

Florida is so sunny it puts me in a good mood pretty consistently.

I have to agree. We're in Central FL and really enjoy the low cost of living where we're at. We are away from congestion and major traffic. We love it here.

West Michigan would fit all of your needs......except the warm year round part. We had temps in the high 60s today.......chance of snow tomorrow and one area had 12 inches of snow last week already that melted the next day. You could play tennis year round---if you played inside 8 months of the year :-)

I've lived in all three. I think I would recommend Arizona first and Florida last. Can't elaborate right now because dinner's almost ready but I'll come back. Also, if you'd be interested in renting our house furnished short or long term, let me know. Rich has been in Chicago full time since 2010. We split our time, but I'd love an excuse to spend some extra time out there. PM me if you want to explore the possibilities.

No offense to Texans, but I have a very unfavorable opinion of Texas. I have never had a good experience with anyone I have met IRL from Texas, and usually have had very bad experiences. They have all been big jerks. Not to mention that every politician I have been aware of from Texas is a crazy extremist person. Based on my experiences and perceptions of Texas, I honestly wish it would just secede.

Have you actually lived in TX? 'No offense, but you all suck' is a pretty broad brush.

No offense to Texans, but I have a very unfavorable opinion of Texas.  I have never had a good experience with anyone I have met IRL from Texas, and usually have had very bad experiences.  They have all been big jerks.  Not to mention that every politician I have been aware of from Texas is a crazy extremist person.  Based on my experiences and perceptions of Texas, I honestly wish it would just secede. 

Ouch.

Have you actually lived in TX? 'No offense, but you all suck' is a pretty broad brush.

I'm not saying, "you all suck."  I'm saying that I've met and had bad experiences with enough sucky people from Texas that it doesn't matter how many of you nice people live there; I wouldn't move to Texas if it were the last place on Earth.

I grew up in St. Augustine and Cocoa, FL. I loved St. Augustine and didn't really like Cocoa. Cocoa is just "meh". It's an okay place to go visit since it's near the beach and Orlando but I have NO desire to move back. NONE. I agree with what's been said about South Florida as well. My sister lived near Palm Beach for years and I couldn't stand that area. It's way too crowded and expensive!

I'm not saying, "you all suck."  I'm saying that I've met and had bad experiences with enough sucky people from Texas that it doesn't matter how many of you nice people live there; I wouldn't move to Texas if it were the last place on Earth.

Well, *that* makes everything all right then.

:001_huh:

Wow. Just...wow...

...says the California transplant who has lived in Texas for nine year and has met many wonderful people, and who wonders how it is possible for one person to make such a blanket statement with a straight face...

Wow. Just...wow...

...says the California transplant who has lived in Texas for nine year and has met many wonderful people, and who wonders how it is possible for one person to make such a blanket statement with a straight face...

Well, it would certainly be a consideration for me if I were choosing from those three states...

... says the person who has visited California many times and had lovely experiences with many people from that state.

Not sure I can recommend Florida. I live here, but high cost of living, and too much traffic here in Central Florida. The coast in nice in some places....[/quote

I'm just amazed that central fl would be thought of as high COL. I would give my right arm for FL housing and food costs.

I have to pipe up and defend Florida. We *LOVE* NE Florida.

The weather here is warm most of the year, and tennis is played year round. (It was 85 today!) The people are friendly, it's a conservative area with lots of churches. Housing is affordable and the cost of living is low.

It's easy to home school here.  The local county schools allow home schoolers to participate in sports, gifted programs, etc., and "reporting" requirements are minimal. There are lots of home school classes, too.

There are excellent private schools and even some pretty darn good magnet and charter schools, if you want brick and mortar school options.

South Florida is *not* typical Florida, IMO, and Central Florida has more traffic than I could deal with. Our area's "traffic" is nothing, when compared to other cities of a similar size (1 million+). Our area is *very* different from central and south Florida.

FWIW, I've also lived in Texas (Dallas) -- though it was admittedly a long time ago. I found the people to be nice, but they looked on me as an "outsider," so I had a hard time fitting in.  I found it really hard to meet people, despite making a very sincere effort to be friendly and open. No one in my college classes seemed very interested in meeting new friends. :/

We moved back to FL after graduate school, and I never want to live anywhere else. :)

Lisa

I would actually love to live in South Florida again.  I love it there.  I love the cultures, the food, the proximity to the ocean, the diversity...basically everything about it.

I would also live on the west coast of Florida again any day of the week.  The Tampa area.  Same reasons as South Florida. 

Another vote for Texas!!! The thing to remember about TX is that it is huge! It's like having 5 different states within itself. I love the Hill Country, I own a home in the Piney woods, and my family is in the DFW Metro-plex. There are so many choices with varied weather patterns and scenery. It's a good thing you have two years to research. TASA is great website that lists almost all of the open jobs in public education. You would need to be okay with the fact that Texans love their state, and they won't let you forget it! I also think Gainsville, FL is really pretty, but I've never lived there. AZ is too arid for me, but I have friends in Phoenix that really like it. Good luck!

I lived in Tucson for three years with dh before kids and loved it! I was from the east coast and had not really wanted to move, so loving it so much surprised me. Enjoyed the lovely year round warm weather and knowing what to wear each day. Thrilled with the extreme lack of bugs! Golfed regularly. Gorgeous views of the Catalina's. Affordable. But for some reason, I could never picture raising kids there. Perhaps I was too used to the east coast cities and all. Just seemed to be lacking something. Moved to dc, had three kids. Great for homeschooling, but pace of life and cost too much. Moved to Tampa for dHs job. Again, not overly thrilled at moving, but here a year and loving it. Super friendly people. Lots to do with the kids; different from the doc stuff but enriching all the same. We fit in better down here; more down to earth. Weather is so much better than I thought and bugs not as bad as I imagined. We are outside a lot. Only 5 miles from the beach. Active church.

No offense to Texans, but I have a very unfavorable opinion of Texas. I have never had a good experience with anyone I have met IRL from Texas, and usually have had very bad experiences. They have all been big jerks. Not to mention that every politician I have been aware of from Texas is a crazy extremist person. Based on my experiences and perceptions of Texas, I honestly wish it would just secede.

Funny, I think of New Hampshire as the Texas of New England. Live free or die.

Can you elaborate on "good church options" and "good Christian schools?"

I am in the Southeast... and have lived in Texas. Didn't like Texas (sorry Texans). It was a violent weather place, severe temperature swings, hail the size of softballs, and ragweed. Oh the ragweed. Not to mention flat and a severe lack of vegetation.

My top pick so far (before hearing your elaboration on above) would be Jacksonville, FL (south side, St. Johns County), maybe even St. Augustine.

I think the desert SW and its severe lack of humidity and dustiness will leave you wanting. And that's hard for me to say.... I'm originally from the west.

We are reformed and would want a strong, healthy reformed/presbyterian/reformed baptist church. A good christian school means a school that is not christian in name only and teaches from a biblical worldview and takes the spiritual growth of their students seriously.

Jacksonville sounds nice!

In the Abilene TX area there are a lot of great churches, Beltway Park Baptist does a lot of international missions and has adoption ministries and support.

http://beltway.org/

I talked to a good teacher who has taught at and had her kids at both these schools, one traditional, one classical, she likes both for different things.

http://www.providenceclassical.net/

http://www.abilenechristian.com/

Tennis year round, this is the best tennis teacher we have had in 3 different states and several teachers at each location:

http://www.caseychapa.usptapro.com/default.aspx/MenuItemID/351/MenuGroup/ProHome06.htm

I have had the opportunity to brush up on my Spanish in Abilene, no lack of Spanish speakers, and they are happy to help and humor poor grammar.

It is not a booming metropolis by any means, but you can get to Ft. Worth in under 3 hours.

thanks for all of this great info!

I have looked at Abilene briefly. My oldest is interested in Abilene Christian College.