Menu

Looking at Kindles...what do I need/want?

I've only looked online so far.  I do plan to go to Best Buy so I can actually play with them before I buy one.  We currently have an iPad with the Kindle app, but I want something smaller and lighter.  Our iPad has an Otterbox on it so it is quite bulky and heavy.  

Would the Paperwhite be enough?  Do I really need the Fire?  I want to be able to download books without hooking up to the computer, but I think the wi-fi should be sufficient.  

Any thoughts from Kindle owners or shoppers?

If you have an iPad I don't see any reason you'd need a Fire unless you want another tablet.  For reading the Paperwhite is more than adequate--a lot lighter than the iPad and very easy on the eyes.  I have the $69 Kindle, which uses wifi only.  No problem downloading books.

I have a kindle touch. The kids and I prefer it to read on. It doesn't hurt your eyes, you can read outside, etc. Even though I have a tablet with the kindle app, I won't be leaving my kindle behind. I'm actually about to buy the paper white to add to our collection. I don't think you need the fire if it is just for reading. I say leave the app play for your tablet.

It really depends what you're planning on doing with it. If you want to use it as a tablet, then you might want the fire. If you're only using it for reading, I'd go with the paperwhite.

We use an iPad for most things, but have a kindle from before we had the iPad, that we still use for reading because it's easier on your eyes than a tablet screen is. Especially if you're reading for a long time.

I have an iPad but do prefer reading on my Kindle, I didn't think I needed a Fire though.  I have the Paperwhite and I really like it!  It's the wi-fi only (my previous Kindle was 3G but I've been fine with just the wifi this time), and I really like the backlight, I can read while I'm nursing the baby to sleep but it's still easy on my eyes.