Menu

what is wrong with me??? (not medical)

ProudGrandma

I bought a Vitamix after hearing so many of you all say you use it daily...or even more than once a day...and I was so excited...but something is wrong.  I never think to use it...or incorparate recipes that use it into my menus...and I fear I have yet again, bought another appliance (expensive at that) and now I will hardly ever use it.  There must be something wrong with me...the way we eat...or something...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me some real ways to use this wonderful machine.  (oh we have made smoothies many times, I used it when I was canning tomatoes to make sauce...I have used it make ice cream several times...but that is about it...I think....

thanks for your help!!!!!

I don't have a Vitamix, so I can't give you any pointers on that.

But I've purchased appliances, gadgets, etc. that everyone raves about and then found myself not using them.  If something doesn't fit your lifestyle or way of doing things, then it actually creates more work for you to try to incorporate it.  Unless you have a pressing reason to use it and make those changes to your routine (e.g. you want to make changes to address a health problem, so you're motivated), it's probably not going to happen.  Of course, foodies or people who just love kitchen gadgets probably have motivation enough, because that's their thing.  It's the rest of us that need something bigger to drive us to change our habits. 

So....there's absolutely nothing wrong with you.  But you have to find your "big hairy reason" to use the Vitamix regularly.   :p

I just bought a blendtec. I bought it specifically fIor smoothies. Im also using it to make soups, dressings, batters and quick chopping. obviously I could do all those other things a different way, but I'm lazy and I love the quickness of using the blender.

I'm excited to hear what some of those long time users will say....

There are days that I do not use my vitamix so I do not think there is anything wrong with you.  If you did not use a blender frequently before you bought the vitamix you will not magically change your life.  With some thought you will start to incorporate it more.

I primarily use it for smoothies.  I make salsa with it frequently (alas, tomato season is over).  It is handy for shredding potatoes for hashbrowns and latkes.  I make coconut milk a few times a week.  I make almond butter when my dh asks for some.  I have also used it to make hummus.  I made soup once.  It was very smooth  but my stick blender works for that.

I use my Vitamix for green smoothies.  It is part of my "healthy habits list".  If you go to my tackle thread you will see "green smoothie" down towards the bottom of my list.  It reminds me to use it every day.  I don't think to use it for other things because at this point I'm not making other things that would utilize it.  I'm not a big sauce person in my cooking.  But if I were, I would try to remind myself to use it until it became a habit.  

I just bought one a couple of weeks ago.  We bought mostly for green smoothies so I make smoothies for myself and DH every other day.

We were juicing and DH was very happy with the results but I was unhappy with the cleaning and the waste.

I don't have a lot of suggestions---- think back to when you bought it and what you "said" you were gonna do.  If it was to make green smoothies-- buy a lot of vegetables and you will be forced to make things or they will go to waste. 

I use my Vitamix for green smoothies.  It is part of my "healthy habits list".  If you go to my tackle thread you will see "green smoothie" down towards the bottom of my list.  It reminds me to use it every day.  I don't think to use it for other things because at this point I'm not making other things that would utilize it.  I'm not a big sauce person in my cooking.  But if I were, I would try to remind myself to use it until it became a habit.  

Could you give me some of your recipes?

I have been trying to use the same ones I used for juicing and so far they don't make the change well. 

I need them to be as low carb and high protein as I can get.

I have been doing green juice with some protein powder.  (kale, spinach, cucumber, celery, apples, lemon and ginger)

I would also like to try and incorporate coconut oil-- do you think it would blend or just be gross (with cold stuff)

I made my bullet proof coffee this morning and I was thinking of trying to make "warm" smoothies-- any ideas?

Where do you have it?  I have found that I need to have it on the counter so I see it.  My Vitamix gets used almost daily between the whole family for mostly smoothies right now.  I use it for quick chopping as a pp suggested.  Have you looked through the recipe book?  In the summer, I use some of the marinade recipes for grilling.  I make the soups at lunchtime (my favorite is one of the potato soup recipes - the one with chicken, spinach, & rosemary).  We were making smoothies before we got the Vitamix and burning out regular blenders, so it's met its purpose.

eta:  There is a Yahoo group for Vitamix users.  If you'd like, I can find the link for you.  I go on there when I need inspired.

I know some people make soups with it, but it seems easier to me to use a stick blender.  Although for some things I imagine you could get an even smoother texture with the Vitamix. 

I think the distinction between using a stick blender and a vitamix is that the vitamix can heat the soup. You don't need a pot.

I like the tortilla soup they make in them at the demos. 

I think the distinction between using a stick blender and a vitamix is that the vitamix can heat the soup. You don't need a pot.

I like the tortilla soup they make in them at the demos. 

Yes, you make your soup in the Vitamix.  The tortilla soup at a demo is what sold me - "a healthy dinner in 10 minutes after coming home late from a practice".

I usually make one of the three recipes below for breakfast and eat it with a hardboiled egg. Preemie baby has a sensitivity to egg right now, and I'm nursing, so I'm skipping my hardboiled egg and doing a handful of nuts mid-morning instead.

a cup of spinach

half a cup of frozen blueberries

a cup of almond milk or cow milk

a splash of vanilla

a tablespoon of flaxseed

a handful of icecubes

a cup of spinach

a banana

a tablespoon of peanutbutter

a cup of almond milk

a handful of icecubes

a cup of spinach

half a banana

a cup of frozen strawberries

a tablespoon of flaxseed

a splash of vanilla

a cup of almond milk

a handful of icecubes

I use our mostly just for smoothies. I have made soup it in but I don't like how foamy it gets. And this time of year, we aren't doing a ton of smoothies. But we make up for it in the spring/summer!

I have a problem with the froth/foam as well. :( I wish there was a way around it as soups sure are easy to make with it (if you can get past the seven minutes of having a jet engine in your kitchen!)

I am so glad to hear that I am not the only person who has trouble with the frothy soups.  I figured if I ever tried it again, I would blend it until it was smooth and then throw it in a pot..but then why is that any different than using my immersion blender, right??  hmmm.....guess, I need to still look for some more ideas.  thanks.

I just want to add that today I used my vitamix to puree carrots and spinach.  I then tossed that puree into the meat sauce I was making for the lasagna I made for dinner.  Neither of my children know the veggies are in there and they both declared this my best one yet.  You would think I would not have to sneak extra veggies into my teens food but alas I do.  If they see it go in, my dd especially, they insist they can taste it.