Menu

Is this a good deal? And what are "candid shots" exactly?

AimeeM

On Monday dd's school has pictures. They're bringing in a photographer and each child gets 10 shots - they can have the pics taken with a couple of exotic cars being brought in, by the school pond, with the school dog, etc - whatever they want. They described them as "candid shots".

We pay a $30 sitting fee, then the photos are e-mailed to us and we can print what we want from them (I think we may have to pay per picture we choose to keep? Not sure).

It sounds pretty neat. I know my friend was telling me that at her dd's public school, e-mail isn't an option (you can buy a CD, I think), but it's only the one pose, and the packages start at around $30-$40 for a couple 8x10's, a 5x7, and a few wallets.

So this sounds like a good deal to me. I especially like that the children aren't going to be "posed" - is that all "candid" means? Unposed?

Since this will be done outdoors, what is the best way to dress her for the best shots? Plain colored? Any colors we should avoid? She has copper red hair, grey eyes, fair skin, and freckles :) Her "style" is pretty eclectic - she's likes brightly colored snug pants (think hot yellow or purple, lol), fitted tops, wacky converses with mismatched neon socks. She wants to wear her new white shirt with gold butterflies on it, but I'm afraid she'll wash out in the pics with her fair skin, especially if it's sunny out?

This is the first time we've done school pics in a very long time; when we last did them, it was in a Catholic school with a uniform, so I'm sincerely sorry if my questions about dress seem absurd, lol.

I am a hobbyist photographer. This means I have a moderate amount of equipment and I take pictures of my friends for free or for very small amounts of money. So, this is just what I've learned in the past 3 years as I've been having fun with my camera.

As far as what she'll wear: if you can convince her too, go with plain colors. She can wear colors, but try to stay away from designs on the shirt. In pictures, you really want the focus to be on the person's face and not their outfit. So, solid colored pants and a solid shirt. She ought to wear whatever color she looks best in near her face.

Fit is important, too, however. If the white shirt with the butterflies fits her best, you may want to go with that. You don't want her in something baggy and distracting or too tight and distracting. Whatever clothes best offset her face. For pictures like this, people will all be wanting to look at her face, so that's what you want to make look the best.

I don't know what these particular photographers mean by "candid." I wouldn't think that they'll just have the kids slouch around the car looking awkward. They'll probably give them direction on where to stand and where to place their hands and such. But they won't be formal looking shots in a studio. Some kids might naturally "pose", but if there's a kid who doesn't know what to do with themselves, they'll help him/her. You can always call the photographer and ask.

Candid probably just means photojournalistic, she'll interact with the props as they snap the pics, they might ask her a few questions to get her to look at the camera or say something silly to make her smile, but they won't pose her with her hands crossed on a hay bale.

Wardrobe, layering is always good.  When I am dressing my kids, I look at Gap and crewcuts adds and try to find similar pieces.  I noticed this year they were doing hoodies over polos over tees, usually it's sweaters.  I wouldn't go with anything too funky or far out.  I like Matilda Jane for girls, but that is a very particular look.  It photographs very well, however, no matter what pieces you choose.  I would think red hair would look good with browns and greens, but I'm not sure about that.

Well, I just looked at MJ's holiday line, it's um, bright, but the turquoise would probably look really awesome with red hair.  This is more what I was thinking of and what I like to put Piper in: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matilda-Jane-girls-shirt-and-pants-set-size-2-/221313655757.  You can get their stuff really reasonably priced on ebay.  

Gap is solid for photos, that's what I use for my boys.  I just look at their current outfits on the website and pull the stuff I already have and then supplement from the store if I have to.  Or more likely, supplement from Once Upon a Child :). http://www.gap.com/browse/subDivision.do?cid=6256&mlink=5058,7326116,HP_Main_2_G&clink=7326116 here are some Gap outfits, all easy to put together, classic colors, not busy.