Menu

MCT Language Arts

l&r'smom

Has anyone made it past the 'honeymoon phase' with MCT Language Arts.  It looks beautiful, but is it effective?  My girls(7&9) have made it through FLL2, and the eldest has made it  through WWE2. So I am trying to decide where to go next with grammar for both and writing for the eldest.  They are a little bored with FLL and WWE, but MCT seems a bit pricey.  My eldest enjoyed the samples online and wants to give it a try, but I am hesitant.  Is this enough practice in grammar and the writing in Sentence Island seems weak.  So what I am wanting is advice from someone who is not in love with the newness of this curriculum.  Anyone use it long enough for the shiny new curriculum love to wear off?????

MCT's grammar instruction is incredibly effective. Trinqueta's done Island and Town and I'm impressed at how well she can analyze a sentence. It's come in very handy in Latin. To be honest, I've learned a lot from those curricula too. However, not every curriculum matches every style of homeschooler. T and I both really hated FLL, so if you love them, we might not have similar tastes. If you're not sure about it, start with Grammar Island and try to find it used. If you love it you can buy the rest, if you hate it sell it again.

ETA: I went to Amazon to see how much GI was used, but they don't have any. So instead of GI, I'd get Sentence Island (there were lots of copies for about $20 shipped) and start there. It repeats the grammar instruction of GI and adds to it so this would work fine as an introduction to MCT LA for a student that's already been exposed to grammar instruction.