Menu

AOPS from algebra to calculus

DS has 3 chapter left in AOPS alegra , so I am looking into what should come next. I will not have him work on AOPS geometry since I don't think that will work for him. And he did Singapore math NEM 1-2 and we will work on nem3 next summer, i think that covers most geometry. so my feeling is to go with AOPS algebra intermediate. My question is.. Normally, after algebra 2, pre-cal is the next. And I keep hearing AOPS algebra is algebra 1 and algebra 2. So, should AOPS pre cal after AOPS alegra? What exactly is algebra intermediate? Is that part of pre-cal? Or that is part of algebra. I am not trying to skip any book. The boy is young, I just want to understand the logic of the sequencing

The second half of the AoPS Intro to Algebra text contains material that is usually taught in algebra 2.

The AoPS Intermediate Algebra text contains algebra 2 material and material that is usually taught in a precalculus course. The book contains an extensive treatment of polynomials, plus other topics. It can NOT be skipped.

The AoPS precalculus text contains the trigonometry part of a typical precalculus course (only much more in depth) and material that is usually not  taught in high school to that degree, like vectors and matrices in 3d.

You can view the tables of contents of all books on the website:

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Store/index.php?

For a kid planning to be a Vet or medical Dr. Do you think AOPS pre cal, calculus over kill?

I do not see why that would be "overkill".  Any premed student will be required to take calculus at the university. Prior calc in high school is beneficial. If the student works well with the AoPS method, I do not see why the goal of being a doctor should mean that he should get a less rigorous math education than he is capable of.

On a practical note: admission to vet and med school is insanely competetive. I can't see why a thorough mastery of math would be overkill. The student may even find that a math rich undergraduate degree may give an advantage. One of our students is getting a double major in physics and chemistry, plus minors in French and philosophy before applying to med school; he will certainly stand out among the thousands of biology majors.

AoPS uses Intermediate Algebra for their Algebra 3 class. It comes between the algebra book he is finishing and the precalc class.

If you are sticking with AoPS, do not skip the Intermediate Algebra book. If you are leaving AoPS altogether, he could probably do great in any other precalc book, assuming he has the geometry he needs.

He definitely needs a geometry foundation for all later AoPS courses, including algebra 3 and precalc (according to my daughter who took them all and is currently in AoPS calc).

Fwiw, my son loved AoPS geometry more than any other book or course, ever.

If time permits, I suggest adding in some of the rabbit trail books before algebra 3 or precalc. Lots of great stuff in there!

Any intellect needs to be a good problem solver. AoPS teaches problem solving, perseverance, creativity, and mental flexibility. IMHO, those skills are even more powerful and important than the math itself. So, yes, I think as much AoPS as other child has time and interest for is advisable for any serious student.

. One of our students is getting a double major in physics and chemistry, plus minors in French and philosophy before applying to med school; he will certainly stand out among the thousands of biology majors.

That is a very good point. He will still have to pick a major before med school. I can see him pick physics as major. His eyes light up when he reads physics related topic. And That certainly will be math intensive.

I guess I kinda trying to find a easy way out. As I read through intermediate algebra, I start to feel I actually need to work on it... Not to mention DS starts to correct my mistake when I told him he did something wrong with his algebra.. It just start getting into topics that I didn't use for a while... Sigh...

AoPS uses Intermediate Algebra for their Algebra 3 class. It comes between the algebra book he is finishing and the precalc class.

If you are sticking with AoPS, do not skip the Intermediate Algebra book. If you are leaving AoPS altogether, he could probably do great in any other precalc book, assuming he has the geometry he needs.

He definitely needs a geometry foundation for all later AoPS courses, including algebra 3 and precalc (according to my daughter who took them all and is currently in AoPS calc).

Fwiw, my son loved AoPS geometry more than any other book or course, ever.

If time permits, I suggest adding in some of the rabbit trail books before algebra 3 or precalc. Lots of great stuff in there!

Any intellect needs to be a good problem solver. AoPS teaches problem solving, perseverance, creativity, and mental flexibility. IMHO, those skills are even more powerful and important than the math itself. So, yes, I think as much AoPS as other child has time and interest for is advisable for any serious student.

I do already own intermediate algebra and from what I saw, I think NEM 1-2 covers enough to have him go through it. I might still use AOPS geometry later between intermediate algebra and preCal. But at this point, I just think it will be frustrating for him. He still need a bit more work on showing works I think.. To be able to do proof. I do not think we will do number theory... I hated it when I was younger but we will do statistic but I plan after calculus simply because that is how my school district progress.

I am not planning skip intermediate algebra at all(since I already bought the book). It is just very confusing what covered in AOPS book vs typical sequence. My country (Taiwan) does not separate calculus, algebra... It is just math.