Menu

Can we talk curly haired kids?

Mama Geek

So dd has curly blond hair that when combed out and wet comes a fair amount lower than her shoulders. When it dries it curls up and looks just above shoulder length.  It is still pretty thin.  I have scheduled Christmas pictures for her in a pretty formal Christmas dress next week.  I have always had pretty straight hair and the last few years dd's hair looked pretty good just combing it but it was much shorter and is now a little more unruly.  I would rather do something different than pig tails even though that looks adorable on her.  

Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, pictures, how to's that they can share.  I am not likely to get braids to look right so I would prefer something else.

As a curly haired grown woman, I would advise that you stop combing it out unless you're using a wide toothed comb and the hair has conditioner in it (wet - during bath time). Some of my earliest memories are of one of my parents with a comb or brush and a hair dryer. Ugh. I usually just use my fingers in the shower with conditioner in. Then rinse it off and use a smoothing or light hold product. It behaves nicely now. No hair dryers either! I'm in VT and it gets cold here and I don't use one. Ever. 

Curly hair is by it's very nature, more unruly than straight hair. :-) I would do maybe a barrette or two and let it be unruly. I'll try to find some pictures later, but I'm just finishing getting dinner on the table.

I almost always comb it with a fairly wide tooth comb when it is wet.  I have a trusty squirt bottle that dd gets a kick out of when I want her combed without giving her a bath.  I do put conditioner in it sometimes and I will look for a light conditioner to us whenever we wash her hair.

Pink has super curly hair. It's about halfway down her back now, but I've been treating it like this for about a year...when I started it was around shoulder length. Basically I do the curly girl method on it.

I wash her hair using no-poo - nothing with sulfates or anything like that. I only wash at the scalp, not the ends. Then I rinse it well and pile on the conditioner - I use tresemme naturals on it. I work it through and comb my fingers through all the tangles. I don't rinse it fully, just toss a couple handfuls of water over it and let it drip out as needed.

After bath I squeeze the extra water out with a t shirt and scrunch it with some john Frieda gel.

If she has a bath at night, it looks great in the morning - well defined curls, etc.

on mornings when she hasn't had a bath the night before, I spray a mixture of Paul Mitchell leave in conditioner with water on it and run my fingers through it.

I never comb it unless it's been a couple days since her bath and it seems like it needs it - maybe once a week or so.

Her hair always looks great.

Eta: here is a picture of her hair the way it usually looks from the back. It was taken this spring. http://togethersolitude.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/img_3666.jpg

Pink has super curly hair. It's about halfway down her back now, but I've been treating it like this for about a year...when I started it was around shoulder length. Basically I do the curly girl method on it.

I wash her hair using no-poo - nothing with sulfates or anything like that. I only wash at the scalp, not the ends. Then I rinse it well and pile on the conditioner - I use tresemme naturals on it. I work it through and comb my fingers through all the tangles. I don't rinse it fully, just toss a couple handfuls of water over it and let it drip out as needed.

After bath I squeeze the extra water out with a t shirt and scrunch it with some john Frieda gel.

If she has a bath at night, it looks great in the morning - well defined curls, etc.

on mornings when she hasn't had a bath the night before, I spray a mixture of Paul Mitchell leave in conditioner with water on it and run my fingers through it.

I never comb it unless it's been a couple days since her bath and it seems like it needs it - maybe once a week or so.

Eta: here is a picture of her hair the way it usually looks from the back. It was taken this spring. http://togethersolitude.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/img_3666.jpg

Her hair is SOOOOO pretty!  And, it looks exactly like my daughter's.  But, my dd is 7 and her hair is down to her bottom.  I love it when she wears her hair down.  But, it gets in her way and she does NOT want me to cut it.  So, most often, wash and condition just like Kara does and braid it wet.  She can wear it for a couple days that way.  I've learned to do very fancy french braids!!  

Really cute!  Thank you,