Menu

pokemon cards -- if you can ask your sons :-)

mlktwins

My boys have recently become interested in Pokémon and Pokémon cards.  They don't have very many cards (as in about 60 each) at the moment.  I found someone selling 2500 cards for $100.  I don't know the specifics of what types of cards are included.  If your boys are interested in Pokémon, would you be willing to ask them what types of questions I should ask the seller or if they think it would be worth it to get 2500 cards for that price and take a risk?

Thanks so much!

Ask how many duplicates there are. Ask if there are any foil cards included. There are several other questions you can ask, but I might be able to tell you whether or not they're worth buying without those details -- check the seller's other items and past sales. If he is always selling big lots of cards, he's pulling the good ones out of the full decks he buys and selling off the common cards for a low price.

I forgot to mention that when I was buying lots of cards on eBay, my very best purchases were from moms who were auctioning off their kids' collections because they no longer played with them, and from college guys who were selling off their old cards and toys so they could save up to buy something else.

Okay, here is what my DAUGHTER (she's the one into Pokemon) says:

2500/$100 is a good deal. If you buy them in a store, then you typically pay $5-6 for 10 cards. I wouldn't expect to get any rare or special cards at that price. You might ask how many duplicates there are because you don't want a bunch of the same card. You should also ask if Energy cards are included, if your kids plan on playing the game versus just collecting the cards. You should also ask what generation the cards are from, depending upon what kind of cards your kids want.

If you can see the cards before buying (as opposed to buying a lot on ebay or something), then you can check the rarity. There is a small symbol of the bottom right corner of the card. It will have a number (like 30/100) right next to it is a circle, diamond or a star. Circles mark common cards, diamonds mark uncommon cards, stars mark rare cards. Holofoil cards are more special. Number one in a series (like 1/99) is more rare.

They are on Craigslist and are local to me.  The picture shows them rubber-banded in stacks of 100 it looks like.  In addition to the 2500, there are 100 Japanese Pokemon cards included.  I have twins that will be splitting the cards so duplicates might be somewhat ok :-). 

My boys see some energy cards in the picture.

They are on Craigslist and are local to me. The picture shows them rubber-banded in stacks of 100 it looks like. In addition to the 2500, there are 100 Japanese Pokemon cards included. I have twins that will be splitting the cards so duplicates might be somewhat ok :-).

Does it look like they are brand new, or as if they have been played with? Does the seller have other card lots for sale, or does it look like it's just a person selling his or her personal collection?

If it's a personal collection, it's well worth the money if the seller hasn't pulled out the more collectible cards.

I think it's a good deal. A lot of the cards I see are from the earlier generations.Those holographic cards (Kangaskhanand Raichu) are nice, worth a buck or three a piece unless one has an error (in which case it's worth a lot more).

From the cards I see you could probably make a decent deck to play cards with. I see energy and trainer cards, so as long as the evolutions in the deck have the prior Pokemon as well, you can play a game with those cards no problem.

I was just looking at my collection the other day... I miss being a kid. ;)

See below for the response to whether there are duplicates, the age of the cards and how many legendary/rare cards there are.  They had posted in the ad they were in very good condition.

"There are a few duplicates in the lot. Don't quite know how old the cards are. There is a few legendary/rare cards."

I think I'll just do it.  The boys will have a blast going through all those cards.  We haven't done it yet, but there is a local homeschooling Pokémon card game day once a month at a library near me.  I will have to look into that more.

We haven't done it yet, but there is a local homeschooling Pokémon card game day once a month at a library near me.  I will have to look into that more.

At one point (close to 15 years ago), we were oddballs in the homeschooling community because we allowed our boys to do Pokemon. 

I wonder if my guys have ever considered making some money by selling off their old cards.

I did this a few years ago for my boys for Christmas. $100 for a few thousand cards. They were just getting into them so they loved going through them. Once they knew a little more about the cards, they started wanting more of the newer generations, holo cards etc. I still think it was a good deal for starting out. If you have it, pay the $100. If you don't someone else will since chrisas is coming up. Figure that if it were on eBay you'd have to pay a ton for shipping so at least it's local. Good luck and have fun!

Jodie

I think I'll just do it.  The boys will have a blast going through all those cards.  We haven't done it yet, but there is a local homeschooling Pokémon card game day once a month at a library near me.  I will have to look into that more.

Not all cards can be used to play at group games.  My son had a ton of cards from the dollar store and is unable to use them when he goes to play.  I know they are a different generation but the most obvious difference is in the HP numbers - the dollar store cards have ones in the 10,000's while the current generation they are usually under 150.

We have a weekly game at a comic book store plus my son (and dh) play online.