Menu

XP: Spelling for LD kid

jmarchman

Hi all,

Realizing I should have probably posted here first:

My son has just completed a lot of testing to pin down what is getting in his way of learning.  Yesterday, I took in all of my curricula and showed it to the psychologist (who specializes in learning) so that she could help me see which parts fit his specific needs and which didn't.

We are currently using All About Spelling (which I think is an awesome program), but it teaches in the exact opposite way of what he needs, according to the psychologist, and it was hard news for me.  So, I am on the search for what *will* fit him.  (This is not a slam on AAS, please don't post defending its merits.)

He can't understand phonemes/phonograms.  But he also has a hard time straight out memorizing anything.

We tried Sequential Spelling several years ago without success.

What other options are out there?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Can you post in more detail what the findings were?  Without that, it may be hard for people to help you.  Also, what were the qualifications and experience of the evaluator?

What she says. ;-)   Not knowing anything at all otherwise though, given your child knows the phonemes, etc., what about a Self Correction Method that is shown by research to be effective for kiddos, especially for those who spell phonemically?