Menu

I saw a mouse do a hand-brake turn

Laura Corin

10pm in the kitchen. From the corner of my eye I saw a mouse running at top speed along the floor, parallel with the cabinets.  It tried to make a 90 degree turn to dash through where there's a base-board missing (the kitchen is about to be renovated).  At that speed and on the slippery surface, it lost control of its back end, which keep on going in the original direction while its front paws scrabbled to get purchase, before it finally managed to slip away.

It's not long for this world - I re-set the traps - but it has had quite a ride.

L

:laugh:   Better than brazenly trotting out to perform a little tap-dance while whistling a tune as you watch, dumbfounded, which is what the mice around here seem to do when they take up residence. Luckily (knock on wood), it's been a few years since our last dealings with the little boogers.

Happy hunting. :)

Our mouse adventure started this summer when the cat brought a live mouse INSDIE my house and then let it go. Took us 3 days to capture it and "rehome" it out in the great outdoors. Once it was caught it was quite cute. It was one of those cute field mice, not your typical house mouse.

Thankfully we do have a barn cat that gets the message that mice should be killed, not brought in the house.

Our latest mouse that a cat brought in to play with currently lives in a fish aquarium in our living room. He is so cute, I'll never look at mice the same again. When the cats smack at the glass, he will stand up on his hind legs and smack right back, lol.  :)

a few years ago we were in a town home and one night while watching tv movement caught my attention.  A mouse had come in from the back door area, up the stairs, crossed the wood floors into the kitchen to get to the pantry.  UGH.  We got traps and killed several before we got it all tight enough to have no more mice.  My first experience and I really don't like them!!!  

The kids had a mouse cornered in our house and I think it had eaten poison or had brain damage of some sort.  It sat looking at everyone for the longest time. Then it tried to jump straight up and did a back flip.  The behavior was odd and I shoved it in a bucket and dumped it in the garden.  Again, it sat there looking at us and then, finally, it started making laps around a hosta.  I'm fairly certain a predator got it the moment we went inside.

We caught our mouse guest in the trap last night. I'm a little sad about it. Harold (that's his name) lived in my mom's house, and when she moved in a couple weeks ago, he hitched a ride in her fridge! Poor thing was hiding behind the stove, terrified of the cats. He was dead in a trap this morning. I wish we could have caught him alive and released him, but there just wasn't a good way to do it.

I haven't told the kids yet. We read Mouse and the Motorcycle a couple months ago, followed by Charlotte's Web. I think a mouse death in the house would be pretty heartbreaking to them right now.

We caught our mouse guest in the trap last night. I'm a little sad about it. Harold (that's his name) lived in my mom's house, and when she moved in a couple weeks ago, he hitched a ride in her fridge! Poor thing was hiding behind the stove, terrified of the cats. He was dead in a trap this morning. I wish we could have caught him alive and released him, but there just wasn't a good way to do it.

I haven't told the kids yet. We read Mouse and the Motorcycle a couple months ago, followed by Charlotte's Web. I think a mouse death in the house would be pretty heartbreaking to them right now.

Aww. Ours is named Marty. My girls are always rescuing things from the cats.

back when we only had 5 cats, one night we went into the family room to see all 5 of them in a circle with a mouse in the middle just sitting up looking at them.  Dh rescued the mouse and put it outside.  I went and got 3 more cats, no more mice since.

Another time one of my cats was chasing a mouse outside. THe mouse stopped, faced the cat, stood up on his hind feet and screeched at the cat.  Cat headed for the hills.

p.s. the only mouse I like is Mickey

Another time one of my cats was chasing a mouse outside. THe mouse stopped, faced the cat, stood up on his hind feet and screeched at the cat.  Cat headed for the hills.

Haha! That is what our little mouse was doing to my cat in the bathroom that morning. My dd said he doesn't seem to have much self-preservation instinct. I figure any little thing with that much spunk deserves to live. :-)

We have 11 cats, by the way. Only one of them actually kills anything he catches, and he does so immediately. No rescuing anything from him.

Wheaten terriers are known for their mouse-catching skills.  This is good, considering we live in the country in an old stone house that is a beacon for mice.  I am super afraid of mice, so I thought wow, this is the dog breed for me!

I never got the memo that stated that after killing a mouse, your Wheaten will chase you with it in his mouth, and later, attempt to lick your face with dead mouse germs all over his tongue.

My dog doesn't always get what he wants.  I don't let him lick me because I don't like it.  Luckily, he doesn't make the connection between his catching a mouse and me brushing his teeth.  Also, luckily he doesn't eat the mice. That would just be gross beyond imagining.

Wheaten terriers are known for their mouse-catching skills.  This is good, considering we live in the country in an old stone house that is a beacon for mice.  I am super afraid of mice, so I thought wow, this is the dog breed for me!

I never got the memo that stated that after killing a mouse, your Wheaten will chase you with it in his mouth, and later, attempt to lick your face with dead mouse germs all over his tongue.

My dog doesn't always get what he wants.  I don't let him lick me because I don't like it.  Luckily, he doesn't make the connection between his catching a mouse and me brushing his teeth.  Also, luckily he doesn't eat the mice. That would just be gross beyond imagining.

My idiotic labradoodle sometimes catches mice and voles.  Then she sits with her mouth closed, whimpering for us to rescue her from this thing in her mouth.  Idiot dog.

L

My parents have a cat that always leaves her kills by the back door. Mice, birds, lizards, snakes - several times a day she leaves her dead things for her wonderful owners. A few years ago, on Father's Day, I called and woke Dad to wish him a good day. The sweet Kitty brought dad his present, a sweet field mouse- while he was in bed. And it wasn't dead. I have never heard my dad yell and move so fast. LOL. Of course, I keep my door firmly closed when I visit their house.