Menu

Should I ask for credit for next month's co-op classes

Bear23

I pay over $100 a month for a co-op. The teacher has cancelled classes that leads up to a month of classes.  There is no substitute.  I think we ought to have a credit for next month or something to make up for all the missed classes.  Plus half the time we drove out there only to be told it was cancelled. 

Thanks for reading.  Even though we are not 100% liking this co-op our child does enjoy it and the teacher is a good teacher..  Just wish it didn't cost so much.

The teacher should be offering make-up classes or financial compensation. She shouldn't just assume you are happy to pay for classes that never happen. The only exception I can see is if she defines a month as 4 weeks, and the classes that were skipped would actually be a 5th week in that month.

Is there a written policy?  

When I taught local paid classes through a group, the students paid a membership/building fee to the co-op manager, and then the families paid the teachers and we handled that as we saw fit.  My policy was that they paid per semester up front with refunds after the first class being only if I had to stop teaching or for very difficult circumstances in the student's family.  I always contacted the families immediately if I had to miss and made up the few times that I missed, 1-for-1.  So if they paid for 12 classes, they got 12 classes. I was also supposed to contact the co-op manager if I had to cancel, and part of the agreement was that I would always let them know that I had to cancel and that they reserved the right to not ask me back if I cancelled too many times.

So I'd look first at the co-op policies, and then contact the teacher.  They may not know that he/she is cancelling so much.  And there may be a policy that is not being followed.

Where else would you pay in advance for services that you never received?   No where, I would think.   I'd be upset...one cancelled class, okay....several that equal out to one month of pay for service not given...I'd be discussing that with her.  Personally I would finding something else my child enjoyed.  When I put time and money into something, it becomes a professional relationship, and the teacher cancelling numerous classes, and not giving notice...that's not professional and I'd not be giving my time and money to her anymore.