Menu

chocolate apples (not oranges!), Dutch tradition, anyone?

athomeontheprairie

chocolate oranges were mentioned in the Christmas post. it gave me the idea of asking here. I've asked in so many places, maybe you all know!

my mother's great aunt told the story how and why Dutch children are given a apple on Christmas. this was a huge tradition in my family. right up until about 6 years ago when Terry's put drostes apples out of business.

2 questions:

is anyone on here of Dutch heritage, and familiar with this tradition? I would love to have a reference for the story. all my family has is the oral tradition, I can't find the story documented anywhere... and my mom really likes to elaborate on things ( sometimes I question if any of my childhood was real or if it was all fiction? ! but she swears this was true, as far as Legends go that is)

Second, if you still give chocolate apples where are you finding them? all we can find here are the oranges...

I'm Dutch and I have never heard of chocolate apples as presents on Christmas day.

Traditionally there are no presents for Christmas, Dutch children get presents from Sinterklaas on December 5th.

However, this is changing, now more and more people are celebrating Christmas in a secular way and are giving presents to each other.

Oliebollen are eaten on New Years Eve.

My dad's Dutch, and we got chocolate apples on Christmas Eve or in our shoes that we shared as a family.  I will ask him the story behind it.  We usually got  chocolate letters, the first initial of our name like a "J" for "Jan", but when they weren't available we got chocolate apples. 

Oliebollen as mentioned before was for New Year's Eve, which has morphed into gluten free beignets and hot chocolate for my kids on New Year's now.

"SinterKlaas" would also throw hard little cookies (usually pepernoten) against the wall, which made a big noise and distracted the kids who were scrambling for them.  A loud knock would come to the back door and there would be a bag of presents for the children. 

My dad's Dutch, and we got chocolate apples on Christmas Eve or in our shoes that we shared as a family. I will ask him the story behind it. We usually got chocolate letters, the first initial of our name like a "J" for "Jan", but when they weren't available we got chocolate apples.

I am so glad we're not the only ones! though since our apples came from Droste, I know we can't be! anyone else heard of this? was a big deal when I was growing up (still is!) my moms great aunt came here from Holland and gave chocolate apples to all the kids. Interesting that no one else does this. anyone have any suggestions as where else I can ask?

Interesting. I grew up in Holland.....Michigan that is.....which is VERY VERY Dutch. In fact the V section of the phone book is the largest :-) Everyone is a Vander, Van, Vande, something.

I have never heard of the chocolate apples. They have Dutch Village. You could google that and see if their chocolate store has them.

So, some kind of chocolate shaped like an apple (like a chocolate orange), not an apple dipped in chocolate or something?

Are they apple-sized (like the oranges are), or smaller?

Hey, wait, is this what you mean?  Ooo... also comes in dark!

Now that I think of it, we always have those in stockings. Dunno if it's a Dutch thing, though, I don't remember having them till we moved to the US.

Can you find here what you need?

http://www.hollandsbest.com/chocolate/droste_chocolade.php

Most of it, I've never seen...

Pastilles!

I love Droste.

So, some kind of chocolate shaped like an apple (like a chocolate orange), not an apple dipped in chocolate or something?

Are they apple-sized (like the oranges are), or smaller?

Hey, wait, is this what you mean? Ooo... also comes in dark!

Yes! Like this. I have no idea what this says though :-) my family moved to Michigan, also. I guess I sort of assumed this was a well-known thing. Obviously not.

I'll see if I can order those here, and I'll look into the Dutch village. Thanks!