Menu

how much do you spend on stocking stuffers per kid?

kfeusse

Our stockings are very normal sizes and I usually shoot for 5-6 items per person.  So far, for the older boys, I have headlamp flashlights (on sale in 3 pk at costco), multi-tools from cabelas (also on sale), character bandaids (a yearly favorite, not just for the multitool), candy, and maybe one other small toy.  My 3 yr old will get the flashlight, bandaids, candy, and toys.  The baby will probably get those puffy snacky things he loves.  Sometimes I put socks in, because I think socks in a stocking is ironic somehow.  Total cost is usually about $15 per person.  And I do wrap them.  

We have huge stockings too.. the secret is something bulky in the bottom - beach towel, cushion, pillow pet, etc.  This year it's lap desk.  I like stockings - the kids get more in there than they do "real" presents cos it's all the things I thought they'd like through the year :-)

Another wrapping fool here. What else do you do with the leftover, odd sized bits of wrapping paper?

You save all the little pieces, too? :thumbup: My dh thinks I'm nuts because I do that. But I can't just wad it up and throw it away if I can still wrap something in it, right?  

I wrap pretty much all stocking stuffers. At our house the kids open stockings first before dad gets up. Then after they're done we take dh his stocking in bed. It's more fun if the kids have to take the time to unwrap each item.

:iagree:

Having to unwrap all the little presents stretches out the gift-giving time. :)

Usually we spend less than $10 per child on stocking stuffers.  Their Christmas stockings aren't big.  This year I am tempted to leave small presents for 12 days of Christmas (Christmas to Epiphany) instead.

What else do you do with the leftover, odd sized bits of wrapping paper?

I use the leftovers to make gift wrap bows.  My boys use the leftovers for collage for their Art.

As a kid our stocking presents were never wrapped but my mother in law wraps them and i think it is so much more fun that way! IN fact, I thought it was so fun that I got totally carries away and started a new tradition that I now will never be able to stop. Our kids have small stockings and one year there were too many stocking stuffers to fit, so I wrapped each kids presents in a certain wrapping paper and hid them all over. Now they love that and each year we have the stocking stuffer scavenger hunt. It is really fun and I keep an eye out for fun, useful things for months!

Speaking of wrapping paper, shall we start taking bets on when some poor soul will start the annual "do you wrap your Christmas gifts" thread, and people lose all semblance of holiday spirit and start arguing about it?

I already started the potluck thread, in which it turned out that I am one of only 3 people on the planet who has never attended a potluck, so I'm not touching the wrapping paper issue with a 10 foot pole. I'm kind of hoping no one will ask about it this year.

This made me think of this lady's post from last year that I liked:

http://modernmrsdarcy.com/2011/12/the-minimalists-guide-to-stocking-stuffers/

I think I spend about $35 per kid but since much of it is practical I don't mind as much. I don't want a bunch of junk that's going to be thrown away. This year my 8 and 7 year old girls will each get a book and a small craft kit, plus fancy hair bands, a littlest pet shop or lego minifig, a pack of cute thank you notes, a nice water bottle, an itunes gift card, and a few different interesting packs of snacks (dried mangos are favorites here, for example). My little boys will get similar things tuned to their ages. I used to give underwear and toothbrushes but can't get away with that anymore!!!

Never wrapped anything in a stocking.  Santa wraps nothing at our house. 

I do love to do stocking.  A few years ago I decided to do one for my mom & stepdad.  Christmas morning they are watching dc get into their Santa stuff when my youngest notices these other stockings with grandparents nicknames on them.  He gives them to the grandparents.  My mom looked like a happy child (big smiles) as she dumped hers out (just like the kids did) and went though each thing.  My stepdad was grinning too as he pulled each item out looking at it.

Used to spend more than I wanted on stuff that was really just "junk" (and therefore cheap). And then I realized - I was better off getting real stuff - more money but stuff we would likely buy anyway. So stocking stuffers became bandaids (go through tons here), erasers (in different colors for each kid, so they won't argue over them), new mittens/gloves/socks. Now, I've added swim goggles and caps (in cool colors/designs) because we go through several a year. DS13 will get his own Kindle charger so he quits borrowing (and mislaying) mine.

Now, I spend far more than before, but for things I would have bought anyway. In fact, any stocking-size purchases made from Oct-Dec are just set aside for the stockings. And they are still thrilled.

I don't have a stocking budget. I only buy candy specifically for the stockings. Every year the kids always get gifts that are too small to go under the tree so I stick them in their stockings. They also get underwear lol. My kids love getting underwear because they are still in the character stage. Both my boys are begging for Skylander undies this year since I don't normally buy them cause they are more expensive then regular undies. Once they pass the character stage though I won't be buying them anymore...its weird doing that for your teenager lol.

My DS2 will be getting a toothbrush in his stocking this year. Last night he asked me to add an item to his Santa list.so I grabbed a pen and his list and he told me to write " a toothbrush that buzzes and is red and has the numbers 4-6 on it ". LOL (the numbers refer to the age range on the packet.)

Man, I hate wrapping anything. I'm horrible at it and it looks like a two year old did it... My husband wraps all the presents except the ones I give to him, so you can easily tell which ones are the ones I wrapped. His have exact corners and perfect tape and bows... To be honest, I use gift bags as much as possible.

Gift bags are my friends, too. They make wrapping much faster, and are perfect for things like DVDs and video games, because a bunch of gift bags with pretty tissue paper looks a lot more impressive than a stack of gift wrapped video game cases, which take up absolutely no room under the tree.

If I'm paying 60 bucks a game, I want them to look good under the tree!!!

(BTW, how is your dd feeling now? :grouphug:)

Wow, some of these stocking budgets are blowing my mind. To me, stockings are for chocolate coins, oranges (clementines), and a few small things. Our boys will have two Cars "guys" each, a light up squishy toy for the bathtub, and one of those novelty pipsqueak markers with characters that Target had around back to school...possibly also a toothbrush... It does sort of go with the sweets. ;).

Counting the chocolates, I'd say the stockings add up to $20 or so. My husband will have some fancy chocolates and possibly some nuts and such. And as for me... Well. There's the rub. No one does my stocking. :(

Wow, some of these stocking budgets are blowing my mind. To me, stockings are for chocolate coins, oranges (clementines), and a few small things. Our boys will have two Cars "guys" each, a light up squishy toy for the bathtub, and one of those novelty pipsqueak markers with characters that Target had around back to school...possibly also a toothbrush... It does sort of go with the sweets. ;).

Counting the chocolates, I'd say the stockings add up to $20 or so. My husband will have some fancy chocolates and possibly some nuts and such. And as for me... Well. There's the rub. No one does my stocking. :(

If no one does your stocking, I think you should do it yourself. Start by swiping the fancy chocolates you bought for your husband and work your way up from there. If you need ideas, remember that even big diamonds are still pretty small, and you can fit a lot of jewelry in even a small stocking.

When they were little they just wanted to open a lot of stuff.  So I would fill their stockings with all kinds of things, packs of gum, little lego things, socks, etc.....

Now that they are older they aren't nearly as amused by lots of trinkets and filler things.  I still get them some, but not as many.

This is the story of my life:  Christmas, birthday, Mother's Day.

I got over it -- gifts are just NOT my DH's love language.

I just buy for myself now (and I'm quite generous, if I do say so.  :p)

You guys are cracking me up... 100 dollars for the stuff in the stocking???  That is my entire budget for one child.  Grin, the best thing about the stockings is that they were all handmade:  my daughter's by my grandmother ( for my mom), mine by my mom when I was a baby and the boys by their aunt.  I love hanging them up, but not much goes in them.

That's so cool -- it's so nice to have sentimental things around at Christmas.

We have small stockings, well medium size maybe. I can't fit a lot of stuff in them. For example, every year I get my son a few Matchbox/Hot Wheel cars but I leave them in the stocking. They are always on the top sticking out because they barely fit, width wise. This year my favorite little things are a stress ball that represents a zombie virus for my son, a Bajoran type earring for my youngest daughter, and a crazy cat lady action figure for my oldest daughter. I guess I spend $30 - $40 per stocking, except for my DH. He and I put one candy, usually a king size chocolate bar, in each other's stocking. I would never be able to think of anything else for him, nor him for me. Stockings were definitely easier before they were teens.

Man, I hate wrapping anything.  I'm horrible at it and it looks like a two year old did it...  My husband wraps all the presents except the ones I give to him, so you can easily tell which ones are the ones I wrapped.  His have exact corners and perfect tape and bows...    To be honest, I use gift bags as much as possible.

Lol you guys are opposite of me and hubby here. He would leave it in the plastic bag from the store if I wouldn't get upset. I get upset simply because it makes under the tree not look neat and pretty. Yep, I'm one of those folks :) I wrap everything. Every single thing....gum, toothbrush, oranges, apples, etc everything

for us, its evolved over the years. 

there were years when there would have been almost nothing had we not given necessities as gifts.  these things have become a tradition. 

i remember as a child my dad making a tooth brush garland for the tree each year.  then he got a promotion and one year we all waited for the garland to appear and it didn't.  we finally asked him to do it!

we still give one another things we would have spent money on anyway.  every Christmas morning, dh finds a basket of different coffee beans beside the coffee maker in the kitchn, because he makes coffee each morning.  each year, he also gets a case of wine, and a Very Large Jar of pretzels.  

for stockings, everyone gets a book, and a "santa" gift.  as they have gotten older, these have become clothing, often something red to wear later in the day.

dh and i go to trader joes and buy fun food things that they will like (think specialty mustards, olives stuffed with garlic cloves, etc, etc).  and chocolate oranges.  and chocolate coins.  and a candy cane.  once they hit middle school, they get invited to help with the stuffing.  last year, one dd made christmas shaped soaps, and another made fudge. 

and like another poster, my stocking is often empy or almost empty.... i decided i'd rather that than buy my own stuff.

however, two years ago my stocking was completely empty.... except for a set of car keys.  everyone was so excited!

(it must be said however that we had needed a new car for two YEARS before that, and had held it together with duct tape and prayer.  we had been car shopping, chosen our favourite car for when the other one wouldn't go any farther, etc, etc.  so this is a grand example of a necessity that became a joyous gift.)

i love christmas.

ann

I've never "budgeted" for a stocking, but I'd guess it's around $30.  The standards:  an orange in the toe; candy; weird/fun food (jerky, blueberry soda); a magazine (one of the traditions in my family). 

When I first started doing DS's stocking, I got so annoyed at all the plastic-packaged candy (like M&Ms in a plastic box with a snowman head on top) - now I prefer those because they take up more space and DS gets only half a truckload of candy instead of the full load!

DH and I both buy stocking stuff, and it is always overflowing.

Oh, and how could I forget the newest tradition?  The year DS really came to terms with Santa, I softened the blow by gathering all of the loose change in the house and putting it in the stocking.  Holy moly, that first year it was over $100!  :ohmy:   Now I try to spend it down a bit during the fall, but it still adds up to quite a bit of money!

So, I guess if I include that last one, the "how much do you spend" question just got a MUCH larger answer.  :D

I just buy for myself now (and I'm quite generous, if I do say so.   :p)

Yeah, not my husband's either... :) 

I had what I thought was a brilliant idea a few years back to do stocking exchanges with friends, only to find out that their husbands totally do stockings for them. I had assumed it was a universal problem. THAT really depressed me.

WELL... depending on how big he gets this year I guess I could stuff #3 in the stocking. :) He's technically a Thanksgiving present, but... 

And along with that a set of keys. We just bought a new (to us) 2006 Odyssey two weeks ago. Similarly, we are selling my iPhone 4 and buying a friend's 5, which is not only two models newer but has more storage than mine. Other than the brand-new baby none of it is "new" and none of it will be unwrapped at Christmas, but I'm still blessed. To quote Dave Ramsey, I'm "better than I deserve."

I'll buy myself a new Otterbox Defender (aka Mom's iPhone's armor) for the 5 and put THAT in my stocking. :)

:)

We put an apple and an orange and a big handful of nuts in the bottom of each, plus some kind of candy and of course some candy canes.  Then I don't buy junk.  I buy stuff that will get used.  I do socks, gloves, hats, undies, that type of thing.  Not cheap, but things they need.  We may get hairbrushes or chapstick or pens and pencils or a journal, whatever they need.   Last year I bought a big package of Crayola paints, the small jars, because we were low.  I put half in one kid's and half in the other.  Then I did the same thing with a big pack of glitter glue.  These are just things we use in homeschool and they use in their own journaling and art.  But we were low :)  Ponytail holders, nail clippers, body spray, or kid's hair detangler or liquid soap in a fancier brand than I would usually buy or in a Christmas scent have been in there before...

That usually fills it up, and we don't spend $1 here and there on stuff they don't need.  I might spend a $1 here and there, but it will be for regular stuff we need.

We have small stockings, well medium size maybe. I can't fit a lot of stuff in them. For example, every year I get my son a few Matchbox/Hot Wheel cars but I leave them in the stocking. They are always on the top sticking out because they barely fit, width wise. This year my favorite little things are a stress ball that represents a zombie virus for my son, a Bajoran type earring for my youngest daughter, and a crazy cat lady action figure for my oldest daughter. I guess I spend $30 - $40 per stocking, except for my DH. He and I put one candy, usually a king size chocolate bar, in each other's stocking. I would never be able to think of anything else for him, nor him for me. Stockings were definitely easier before they were teens.

Ahem. :glare:

I believe you are speaking of the "Official WTM Catwoman Action Figure."

I hope you pre-ordered the Day One edition, which comes with a bonus Bored-Looking Avatar Cat poster.

Your dd is going to love it.***

:D :D :D :D

*** No returns, no refunds, and all sales are final. ;)

We have huge stockings too.. the secret is something bulky in the bottom - beach towel, cushion, pillow pet, etc. This year it's lap desk. I like stockings - the kids get more in there than they do "real" presents cos it's all the things I thought they'd like through the year :-)

That sounds like the biggest stocking in the world!! lol.

A pillow pet can fit in the bottom and there is room for more!!!!

That is a giant's sock!!!!! lol

For those that have low stocking budgets, do you also do Santa presents?  

I totaled it up and this year we will be in the middle of our usual range - around $150 per kid.  $45 of that is a special piece of jewelry (necklace) for each, $10 is a tin of thinking putty, $20 is a nintendo ds game, $10 is an 8 pack of underwear, and $20 is a package of replacement heads for their electric toothbrushes.  The rest is fancy candy, nail polish, a few little toys ($4-5 lego sets, littlest pet shop figures), etc.

I am done for this year (except wrapping it all).

We try to keep it down, but I probably spend $15 or so per stocking, maybe even more with out realizing.  Common items:

favorite candies

tape

printed duct tape

chapstick

fun socks

things from the $1 bin at Target

hair ties

little notebooks

pens or mechanical pencils

batteries

coupons for special things (get out of math free card for one day, go out for an ice cream cone with dad, choose the family movie, request dessert one evening, etc--special privileges that don't really cost much that they can redeem later)  They love these.

stickers

any fun little gadgets or candy in dispensers that I wouldn't usually buy

Stockings come from "Santa" and usually include one "under the stocking gift" (that wouldn't fit).  Once our children have reached an age where they realize that Santa is mythical then they start being involved in stocking stuffing after their younger siblings have gone to bed.  At this age they often start contributing something to all stockings as well.  DH and I do stockings for all of our children and for each other.  My MIL will often slip me a few stocking stuffers for DH (or pass some for me to him) and in turn I have sometimes slipped little things for her to FIL or vice versa.  My mom does this as well.  Because stockings are a bit of a communal effort how much we spend on each kid does vary as I will get less or more depending on what else others contribute.  In general I would say we spend somewhere between $100-200 per child.  Practical things (like new toothbrushes, bath and body works stuff, flash drives, etc) are usually included so some of what we spend is really just a little bit of finance shifting. 

I just buy for myself now (and I'm quite generous, if I do say so.   :p)

I totally understand.  Dh doesn't fill my stocking or buy me gifts.  At Christmas he says "buy something and give it to me.  The kids and I will wrap it and you can act surprised."  The kids like me to be surprised!!

I do all the Christmas shopping, wrapping and stockings.  At 1st I just put a little bit of candy in dh and my stockings but filled the kids.  Then I started adding a little more to dh's and was hoping he would catch on and add more to mine, he didn't.  So I just started adding a few more things to mine.  Adult stockings aren't full and nothing expensive.

I totally understand.  Dh doesn't fill my stocking or buy me gifts.  At Christmas he says "buy something and give it to me.  The kids and I will wrap it and you can act surprised."  The kids like me to be surprised!!

I do all the Christmas shopping, wrapping and stockings.  At 1st I just put a little bit of candy in dh and my stockings but filled the kids.  Then I started adding a little more to dh's and was hoping he would catch on and add more to mine, he didn't.  So I just started adding a few more things to mine.  Adult stockings aren't full and nothing expensive.

My husband is very good with gifts.  I suppose MIL trained him well.  He will take our daughters shopping and help them buy gifts for my birthday or Christmas.  The last few years for Mother's Day they have gotten something for our garden as a group gift (like a special bench, or new rose bushes etc) which they have taken me out to see after they are planted/installed with daddy all proud and happy. 

I remember my dad as very good with gifts but from stories I realize my mom had a real hand in that.  Our stocking tradition is from my mom's family and apparently my dad missed that memo their first wedded Christmas.  He had gotten her gifts for under the tree but had nothing for her stocking and was a bit shocked when he found her assembling hers.  He had to sneak out to some gas station that was still open on Christmas Eve and buy some candy and few other really silly things.  My mom loved that he tried (and he did much better in subsequent years).  My DH's family has a similar approach to stockings so he was not caught by surprise. 

He had gotten her gifts for under the tree but had nothing for her stocking and was a bit shocked when he found her assembling hers.  He had to sneak out to some gas station that was still open on Christmas Eve and buy some candy and few other really silly things.  My mom loved that he tried (and he did much better in subsequent years).  My DH's family has a similar approach to stockings so he was not caught by surprise.

Am I the only one who's guessing that there was at least one cardboard pine tree air freshener in that stocking? And maybe a couple of nice, artfully giftwrapped road maps that said EXXON on them... ;)

I stuffed my own stocking last year. I got a great necklace with charms represent my kids and grandkids, a cool pink multi tool, a car charger for my apple devices, some dark chocolate, and a few other things. Loved it!

If no one does your stocking, I think you should do it yourself. Start by swiping the fancy chocolates you bought for your husband and work your way up from there. If you need ideas, remember that even big diamonds are still pretty small, and you can fit a lot of jewelry in even a small stocking.

I stuffed my own stocking last year. I got a great necklace with charms represent my kids and grandkids, a cool pink multi tool, a car charger for my apple devices, some dark chocolate, and a few other things. Loved it!

I'm thinking of doing one for myself this year, too.

I plan to cut straight to the chase and fill it with cash.

I'm just a sentimental fool. :)