Menu

how much do you spend on stocking stuffers per kid?

kfeusse

It seems like I spend so much each year on the "little things"....at a dollar or two each, that adds up fast.  And it doesn't help that Grandma made really nice....but HUGE....stocking for the kids...

so, if you have any great, cheap, stocking FILLERs....I am all ears.  I am going to put a can of Pringles in each stocking this year....that takes up space....but there is still room for other things....UGH!

I don't know how much I spend. It all depends on whether there's some sort of tiny little gadget in there that's super-pricey, but that I'm afraid will get lost if I put it under the tree with the larger packages.

When my ds was younger, I used to get things like Lego minifigs, bouncy balls, yo-yos, cheap little animal figures, and Thomas the Tank engine trains, and then add some candy. (I wish I would have thought of your Pringles idea!) Now that he's older, the stocking costs a lot more to fill, because I put in things like games for the 3DS and the PS Vita. I still add candy and anything cute and cheap that I can find, though!

If your kids are young, you can buy those big bags of plastic farm, zoo, or jungle animals, or the little army men figures, and split those up into the stockings. You could also do cute erasers or fun pencils. You might get ideas from the Oriental Trading Company catalog, if it's still around.

And don't forget Pez. There must be Pez. :D

This year, in their stockings, they'll get:  a lil' bag of Legos Friends, a bag of chocolate coins (tradition), a plastic candy cane filled with Skittles, 1-2 other small candies, 1-2 small plastic horses (surprisingly nice-looking, from the $1 store).  Maybe a book or dvd.   A peg-doll necklace that I'm making for them.

More than I care to admit! When they were younger it was easy to find fun and inexpensive stuff. Now that they are older it is more difficult.

I still look for inexpensive novalties. Fun little things, but it costs more for this age.

I would like to say I spend around $25 per person but it may be more. I put up stockings for my in laws who lice with us and dh and I also have a stocking.

It can really vary widely, but it is always more than I think it will or should be. Stocking stuffers can add up pretty quickly.

:iagree:

Some years, I get a little overzealous and buy too much stuff, so it takes me forever to pack the stocking just right, so I can fit everything in.

My dh thinks I should just put the extra stuff under the tree, but I keep explaining to him that the "real" gifts go under the tree and the stocking stuffers go inside the stocking.

Men are so clueless. :D

Mine always overflow, too, and they get a Wmart bag.  lol  Games for game systems and other big ticket (to me, anyway) items were always a separate gift.

Boxes of raisins, socks and underwear were always in our stockings when I was a kid.

Here are some idea lists:

http://peppermintcreative.com/blog/2011/12/60-stocking-stuffers-for-men/

http://grocerycartchallenge.blogspot.com

Warm socks, hats, gloves, and fleece blankets take up a fair amount of space!

This year we will be giving the stockings to them on St. Nicholas Day.  Each kid will get an chocolate orange, a Christmas ornament, sketch pad and a Folkmanis finger puppet.  DD will get a headband and ds will get one other thing probably.  Total is about $15 each. Some years they just get some candy, and an ornament.

My kids always get a few necessities in their stockings.  They get things like socks, underwear, stretch gloves, fun toothbrush, hair accessories, deodarant, hats, batteries, and nail clippers. Many of those are things I would need to buy anyway, even for the teens.  The rest of the stocking is filled with Pez, small candies, stickers, bubble bath or small toys.

Stockings are low key here. I put in oranges, candy canes, other candy stuff - like PEZ and kisses, etc. I add trinkets, new toothbrush, lotions for my daughter, silly putty for my son, stickers, dollar store item stuff.

I forgot about the toothbrush. There's always a toothbrush.

My ds actually likes the toothbrush and makes a point of reminding me not to forget it. :)

This year we will be giving the stockings to them on St. Nicholas Day. Each kid will get an chocolate orange, a Christmas ornament, sketch pad and a Folkmanis finger puppet. DD will get a headband and ds will get one other thing probably. Total is about $15 each. Some years they just get some candy, and an ornament.

I love chocolate oranges!

Where do you get the Folkmanis finger puppets? I loved those things, but I didn't know they still made them.

We spend way too much on stockings.  I love stockings.  They might be my favorite part of Christmas morning.  I tend to overbuy, and they are overflowing.  

This year, to take up space (as if that will be necessary), everyone is getting a water bottle.  We are out and about a lot, and I try to replace these fairly often anyway.  DH gets a new travel mug.  Art supplies figure heavily in our stockings, too.  Other than a fun toothbrush, I never include necessity type items - I don't know why, they just don't feel right for us.  DH is opposed to giving necessities as gifts on holidays - and I've picked up on that.

We spend way too much on stockings. I love stockings. They might be my favorite part of Christmas morning. I tend to overbuy, and they are overflowing.

This year, to take up space (as if that will be necessary), everyone is getting a water bottle. We are out and about a lot, and I try to replace these fairly often anyway. DH gets a new travel mug. Art supplies figure heavily in our stockings, too. Other than a fun toothbrush, I never include necessity type items - I don't know why, they just don't feel right for us. DH is opposed to giving necessities as gifts on holidays - and I've picked up on that.

If you run low on space in the stockings, you can stuff things into the water bottles. (Ask me how I know this...)

We don't give necessities as gifts, either. I sometimes threaten my ds when he's being annoying that if he doesn't watch out, this will be his very first "All Socks and Underwear Christmas-a-Palooza." He is not amused.

Honestly?  $100-$200.  Santa only fills stockings in our house (I wanted credit for the most coveted gifts) so stockings are filled with high quality things the kids need or really want.  Earrings, nail polish, ds game, tin of thinking putty, fancy candy from a specialty store, etc.  The boys stockings are cheaper but girl things are small and add up fast.

If you run low on space in the stockings, you can stuff things into the water bottles. (Ask me how I know this...)

We don't give necessities as gifts, either. I sometimes threaten my ds when he's being annoying that if he doesn't watch out, this will be his very first "All Socks and Underwear Christmas-a-Palooza." He is not amused.

:lol: I will be thanking you for that tip on the big Eve, when filling those stockings!  We always end up with the stockings overflowing and sitting on a little pile of stuff that didn't fit.  Oops!

Someday, I will threaten DS with a sock and underwear Christmas-a-palooza, too - once he stops believing in the Jolly Man.  

It seems like I spend so much each year on the "little things"....at a dollar or two each, that adds up fast.  And it doesn't help that Grandma made really nice....but HUGE....stocking for the kids...

so, if you have any great, cheap, stocking FILLERs....I am all ears.  I am going to put a can of Pringles in each stocking this year....that takes up space....but there is still room for other things....UGH!

We do candy (candy canes, chocolate coins, etc) and then fruit (pomegranates and oranges and apples). We usually do new toothbrushes and toothpaste. A thing of bubble bath or soap/shampoo. A pack of new socks and underwear (or undershirts for dh). We also put in a few small toys or fun pencils or markers

Okay, so I'm a Grinch.  We haven't done stockings since the boys reached the early elementary/kindergarten years.  At that point there was little that could be put in a stocking that would've meant much to them.  They aren't candy lovers and would have been stunned (and not in a good way) to have found something as routine and necessary as a toothbrush or toothpaste.  Fruit would've been weird, since there's always plenty of that around.  So . . . stockings had turned into mostly money wasters.  We decided to put the money into "real" gifts instead.

I do mostly candy in stockings.  Everyone expects a bag of gummi bears. That takes up quite a bit of room. I also put in land o' lakes specialty hot chocolate packets. They are usually on sale right now for 50 cents a piece. Some people get card games or sports cards but those are more expensive. Then there are the chocolate coins and usually something pepperminty. Dvd's and cd's take up space, you can find cheap ones in the bins at Walmart. I usually find one or two nostalgia or funny ones that I know someone will enjoy.

Okay, so I'm a Grinch. We haven't done stockings since the boys reached the early elementary/kindergarten years. At that point there was little that could be put in a stocking that would've meant much to them. They aren't candy lovers and would have been stunned (and not in a good way) to have found something as routine and necessary as a toothbrush or toothpaste. Fruit would've been weird, since there's always plenty of that around. So . . . stockings had turned into mostly money wasters. We decided to put the money into "real" gifts instead.

We can only hope that your heart will grow three sizes one day. :D

Stockings have one huge advantage that you may have missed. First, you wrap up a whole bunch of teeny little things, and be sure to use lots of tape. LOTS of tape. Second, you remind your kids that they can't open their real gifts until they open every last item in their stocking. And then, of course, you'll want to take pictures of them with each and every little gift.

It's sheer torture, yet who can fault a mom for thoughtfully wrapping up all of those little presents?

What a nice mom.

Bwahahahahahahahaha.

I think underwear is an awful gift!  Well unless there is something special about the underwear I suppose. 

Yes, I think so, too.  My stepmom loved to give underwear in stockings and laugh as we opened it.  It was funny in a sick sort of way, but I was horribly shy as a teen so thus the sick part... 

Oh!  But on the embarrassing end... Santa did once put a rather large box of condoms in our 22 year old DS's stocking.  That probably earned me an evil stepmom badge (even though DH was the one to slip it in there), but it was well worth the investment considering *that* girlfriend.   :ohmy: 

Less than $10 per kid here.  I have 4 little girls, and each thing I see that MIGHT go in a stocking makes me think, "this much $ x 4 = ??" AND "do I really want four of these things in my home?"  I also don't actually *fill* any stockings.  They hold stuff, yes, but they're far from full, even with some red/green tissue paper.  I'm totally not a grinch, though, y'all - I LOVE Christmas.  My people just don't get that many gifts.

I'm afraid to guess........... I have an overall budget that I sort of stick to (If I bought it before November, it didn't come out of the Christmas budget). If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say around $75 each.... there is usually a gift card for the movie theater in there, which does bring up the total.

I'm afraid this might make Catwoman keel over, but we don't do stockings.  Stocking stuffers x5 = lots of $ and small things to step on.  

I have wrapped "stocking stuffer" type gifts and put them under the tree (they get gum every year), and last year I made several reindeer soda bottles and put those under the tree.  I also wrapped battery powered toothbrushes one year (they'd been asking for them LOL).

I made some bad decisions because DD was an only for so long and we do way too much for stockings.  I'm kind of embarrassed by it and would like to start over but its too late now.  We actually do this at St. Nicholas Day but the idea is the same.  It's usually $50-65 of stuff. 

DD and now DS gets:

A Christmas themed Playmobil set

A Christmas book for their collection

A Christmas puzzle for us all to put together as a family

A chocolate coin

Ours are more expensive this year. I'm determined NOT to buy things just 'because'. In years past, I have bought little notebooks, pencils, toys from the $1 section, but just a few days after Christmas, those same things are left strewn around the house and inevitably get tossed. So this year, I'll be spending more, but it will be stuff they will actually use and love.

Electric toothbrushes and toothpaste set (I normally get the plain ones) $5x3

Mr. Bubbles shaving cream soap $2.50x3

Schleich figurines-$15x3

Gum-$2 for 3 packs

Sculpey clay for dd1-$15

Play doh for dd2 and 3-$3x2

Fancy hair stuff-$5x3

Chapstick-$2x2

Fancy chocolate from a local place-$3x3

Rainbow loom bands-$5x2

Kindle and iTunes GC-$5x2

Fuzzy socks-$2x3

Little people cars for dd3-free!

So far, I'm up to $115 for all three. Yikes! I guess it's not too bad per stocking, but still!!!

We can only hope that your heart will grow three sizes one day. :D

Stockings have one huge advantage that you may have missed. First, you wrap up a whole bunch of teeny little things, and be sure to use lots of tape. LOTS of tape. Second, you remind your kids that they can't open their real gifts until they open every last item in their stocking. And then, of course, you'll want to take pictures of them with each and every little gift.

It's sheer torture, yet who can fault a mom for thoughtfully wrapping up all of those little presents?

What a nice mom.

Bwahahahahahahahaha.

You WRAP the stocking stuffers???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

People wrap the things for a stocking?  It's the gift bag y'all.  Occasionally there has been a mix of wrapped and not wrapped inside the stocking.  We do fruit, nut, candy, toothbrush and socks/ underwear plus a few special books or art supplies or a toy.

When I fill their stockings, I usually put in an orange, some Hershey's kisses, one of those small, ornament-shaped bottles of Coke, and a small $5-ish gift. Occasionally I'll put something useful in, too, like a box of crayons or gloves or a toothbrush. So I guess less than $10 for each stocking. We do stockings three times over Christmas, though, the first one being for the commemoration of St. Nicholas (I replace the gift with an ornament and leave out the soda), then on Christmas, and one last time for Epiphany. If I'm really lucky, I'll find stocking stuffers on clearance between Christmas and Epiphany, and cut my cost in half!

You WRAP the stocking stuffers???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

People wrap the things for a stocking? It's the gift bag y'all. Occasionally there has been a mix of wrapped and not wrapped inside the stocking. We do fruit, nut, candy, toothbrush and socks/ underwear plus a few special books or art supplies or a toy.

We posted at the same time. I can't imagine wrapping gum.

You DON'T WRAP the stocking stuffers???????????????????????????????????????????

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Yup. I wrap everything but the candy. I'm a wrapping fool. :)

I had never seen those very cute finger puppets before...ever...I have to buy 3 of them...my kids would actually really like them.   THANKS!!!!!!

I just went to Amazon to look at these more closely....HOW IN THE WORLD AM I TO PICK ONLY 3....they are ALL so cute!!  This is so NOT fair!!!!!