Menu

Do you eat dinner or supper or something else all together?

Sun

101 members have voted

1. 1. Is your evening meal dinner, supper, or something else?

• Dinner
    • Supper
    • Sometimes dinner, sometimes supper
    • Tea
    • Other (please explain!)

We eat dinner.  

My in-laws (from Wisconsin) call lunch "dinner" and the evening meal "supper".  I think. :p   It's always very confusing to me when we visit them.  Especially since they eat their evening meal at 4:30pm.  To me, that's a late lunch.   :D

Is that a cultural thing? That would confuse me too. How about the restaurants in Wisconsin - do they call the noon meal "dinner" or is it just how families call them? 

Is that a cultural thing? That would confuse me too. How about the restaurants in Wisconsin - do they call the noon meal "dinner" or is it just how families call them? 

I'm really not sure.  I haven't noticed this at restaurants in WI, but then again we really don't go out to eat much when we visit them (they live in a small farming community - there's not much around).  They do have a "Supper Club" nearby.   ;)

I always understood "dinner" to be the largest meal of the day, regardless of time served.

So, we usually eat lunch and dinner, as we eat our largest meal in the evening.

But on holidays (Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas), we eat dinner in the afternoon.  On those days we are usually we are not then hungry for supper. :lol:

It's dinner in California, which is where I've lived most of my adult life.

However, in southeastern Virginia/Outer Banks North Carolina, it was supper. Dinner was the mid-day meal.

This has been my experience in all the southern states we/our families have lived in.

I say dinner or supper for the evening meal, but typically in the South dinner may also be used for the noon meal or the largest meal of the day.

Which is probably why my grandparents (and their relatives) called the mid-day meal "dinner." My g-grandfather was a farmer (after he retired from being a minister); my g-grandmother prepared a whopping big breakfast, then set to work on a whopping big dinner, with supper being mostly leftovers.

Growing up in the south (NC) and being the grandchild of farmers, the midday meal was called dinner and the evening meal was supper.

Now the midday meal is lunch and the evening meal may be called either supper (usually the casual reference) or dinner (more formally).  I voted for supper because within our immediate family that's typically what we use.

Dinner and Supper mean the same thing here, the evening meal.  We usually call it dinner.  Lunch is Lunch.  More often though, it is brunch because we don't get up early enough, or eat early enough once we are awake to have both breakfast and lunch.  It's 1:30 here and I'm having brunch....

I grew up in Arkansas, and I call the evening meal supper.

The only time I use "dinner" is for lunch on Sunday when it always has been called "Sunday dinner". The rest of the week that meal is called "lunch", but not on Sunday.

ETA: I forgot about holidays! Those are also always a "dinner" no matter what time of day they are served (Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas dinner, etc.).

all of the above.  Let me explain...

At noon, *I* eat lunch, whereas all the local people here are saying that I am eating dinner at noon along with them.

In the evening, around 6pm or so, *I* eat dinner, whereas all the local people here are saying that I am eating supper in the evening along with them.

We have lunch 11-1 and dinner after 4.  Anything in between is usually a snack.  But for holidays we have big dinners around 2 and then have leftovers around 6.  Very, very occassionally, and mostly if we're around my northern-born and raised parents, we have supper at night instead of dinner.

Dinner.  There's something about the word "supper" that I don't like.  Isn't that odd?  When it's a holiday meal that we eat later in the afternoon (2ish), we call that dinner as well, and later in the evening, we call it leftovers!  Mmmm…leftovers.   ;)

I wish I could bring myself to say"supper". It would clear up so much confusion. 

We have breakfast/ brunch, lunch/dinner, and then dinner(again). My kids say supper, but dh and I do not. 

Dinner whether it's at 3:00 PM on Sunday or 6:00 PM on Wednesday.  It's our main meal of the day.  Supper would be a very light meal after dinner and would only occur on Sunday where the main meal is served earlier.

Actually, it's usually 'Food's ready', and everyone comes.

I use both to mean the evening meal, but mostly call it dinner.  When the girls and I were listening to the Little House books, lunch was always called dinner, and the girls would get so confused as to what time of day it was in the books.   :lol:

From what I understand, historically, dinner was what most people now call lunch, and supper was the evening meal.