Menu

Prayers please for my mom.....Update 226

Robin M

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brother just called. She has two aneurysms. The one that bleed caused the major headache and issues. It some how scabbed over, which saved her.  As long as it remains that way until she goes into surgery, chances are 60%.  Heading to surgery in about an hour and will be 5 hour procedure.    The other aneurysm is minor one and not a concern. Although they say she have to avoid any stress and remain completely calm once does wake up.  Which is a laugh because she will be spitting mad because she made my dad promise no more hospitals.  Dad and Annie are completed exhausted and stressed, so looks like calling in my brother was a good idea.  Feeling better about that. 

I think it is very sad that her doctors are saying she has no say in her care because she is currently unconscious.  Clearly, she has made her wishes known before this crisis. 

praying for good decisions to be made by everyone.   Its never easy to have to make these kinds of choices in the moment and when there's a crisis.  :grouphug:

Her doctors not letting her make the decision on this would annoy me. Out of curiosity, is that even legal? Or does the family get the say and they prefer intervention?

I got the impression that she was either unconscious or otherwise unable to make the decision for herself, so her family and the doctors made the choice.

Creekland -- I hesitated to weigh in on this last night and hijack the thread.  But I'll give a quick answer based on how things worked when my mom was ill.

My mom had a durable power of attorney made up, 2 actually, for me to use in the event that she was incapacitated.  One gave me the legal authority to handle all her financial affairs, and the other gave me the power to make medical decisions for her.  The document that guided the medical decisions was her living will. All of these were drawn up by an attorney long before she was ill and I was sooo very thankful to have them as i was the only family member around to deal with all of it, as my brothers are on the other side of the country, and my dad having passed away years ago.

Having those documents and knowing my mom's wishes in no means eased the making of medical decisions. It was gut wrenching.  But, no doctor could make those decisions with the excuse that she wasn't conscious (or in her case due to dementia, not mentally capable) to make them for herself.

These documents make the life of your loved ones much easier in a time of crisis, and you are never too young to have them drawn up.

Thanks everyone.

Princess and Jenn:  Sorry my choice of words may have lead you to think she wasn't being given the choice.  My dad and mom have everything lined up with poas and living wills etc.  I have power of attorney for both of them.  My dad is making all the decisions and doing what is in the best interests of my mom.  She has good days and bad days as does anyone in frail health. On the bad days, she just wants to go home to God.  There is a no resuscitation order for both of them, but that wasn't the case here.  The doctors didn't make the decision for her or my dad. Dad was given all the facts and gave the go ahead.  If the aneurysm had caused massive damage, he wouldn't have chosen to agree to surgery.  She had one back in 84 and came through 100%.  We've actually almost lost her several times over the years from major illnesses.  She's a fighter, strong headed with strong opinions, but frail health wise.  That part bothers her. She doesn't want to be a burden to anyone, especially her kids.

I don't know if any of you have experienced the same thing with your elderly parents.  Now that we are grown up, they expect us to just forget about them, live our lives and not do anything for them.  So it always surprises them (but invariably happy) when we come in, take over, help out, insist on doing things for them.  We keep telling them its their turn for us to take care of them. It is what family does. 

Anyway, surgery turned out well with no complications. They'll be keeping her 100% sedated for the next two days and then slowly bring her out of it.  She made it through the night, that's all that matters to me right now.

:grouphug: Robin,

Wonderful news about your mom!  Will you head out to see them once your head cold clears up?

And I hope my post didn't come across as too impertinent.  It was not pointed at you and your situation, but meant to spread the word about the importance of having a power of attorney in place.  I wouldn't wish the year I had with my mom's situation on anyone, but things would have been so much tougher without those powers of attorney in place.  

Warmest wishes and prayers for her continued improvement and for your own peace of mind.

Dad just called. The aneurysm clip didn't hold so mom's going to have to have more surgery in the morning.  Since she is so weak, they'll be doing a different procedure called endovascular coiling which is supposed to be less invasive.  She's still unconscious, but starting to move around more which is a good sign according to the doctors.  They are giving her medications to try and stave off cerebral vasospasms which causes artery to spasm and close which could lead to a stroke.   Meanwhile, we are going to continue to be optimistic and work out the schedule for family to rotate through and two of us be there at all times.  My nieces are taking time off and my aunt will be heading out there.  If all goes well, I'll be heading out there in a week. :grouphug:

She just went into surgery.  Her chances are slim at this point but she's come through the fire many a time. However, this time my dad told her she could go if that's what she wanted.  She's been hanging on for him, because he hasn't been ready to let her go.  I had a long, comforting talk with my sister #1 and I'm okay with not being there.  The sister #2 that's there now is the one who needed to be. She had things she needed to say to mom and God has been doing his best to get us out of our own ways and deal with this whole thing.