Menu

Storing ham in the fridge

Night Elf

Is it frozen and you are defrosting in the fridge?

We get a Honey Baked for Christmas from a parishoner--it usually come 3 or 4 days before the holiday, and I believe it's frozen, so we just pop it in the fridge and it takes that long to defrost. We nosh from it prob 4 or 5 days, so I'd say, if your ham is fresh, you could get it 3-4 days ahead of time (but I'd freeze leftovers pretty much right away if you've already had it out.)

I would like to buy it ahead of time so I get a chance to get the smallest one possible. It is already cooked, but not frozen. I'd like to just buy it and keep it in the fridge until Thanksgiving day, which is why I'm wondering how early I can do that. Or, I guess I can get it even sooner and freeze it for a week or so. I could thaw it in the fridge, maybe pulling it out of the freezer on the 26th? I'm hoping for something around 3 lbs. if they still make them that small. They also used to sell them in 1 lb. packages which would be fine with me as well.

Could you do hamsteak instead? The ones we get usually feed 3 people. We get two and have a little bit of leftover for lunch for one. 

We eat these year-round (not big ham eaters otherwise). 

We grill them (or broil) with a glaze made of brown sugar and lemon juice. It's yummy and quick (they are already cooked).