Menu

Useless Wednesday Poll #2 - My Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding - what to do....

FriedClams

26 members have voted

1. 1. Does using clear nail polish sound like a good idea to you?

• Do it! It'll be fine!
    • Are you serious? Knucklehead! No, no, no!!!
    • I don't have any clue either way, but your title was so annoying I want to vote.
    • Other. Because, well, if the poll is useless the data should be also.

A special scratch-and-sniff thank you to all who participated in last week's useless poll! My dogs, the poo, and I are all enjoying our daily walks. FWIW, I have always been a poop carrier, I was just really, really, really hoping you'd give me a pass. No such luck!! I will continue to look longingly at my neighbor's trash cans as I walk past them waiting for the men to come dump them, poop in hand....

Now, on to today's USELESS POLL..

I have sensitive skin. It's the only part of me that's sensitive. In my whole life. LOL!!! My beloved husband bought me a smokin' nice ring for our anniversary. It has tiny holes in the inside of the band for the bling on the front to - I don't know - drain or sparkle or something.

Anyway, I think the holes are getting stuff in them and it causes my finger to get all infected. If I wear the ring for more than a couple of weeks at a time my finger gets red, peely, itchy. I had a consult with Dr. Google and it said that it was a close relative to athlete's foot. I agree with the diagnosis.

So, here's my thought. I've looked for clear plastic ring inserty things I could line the ring with, but they don't make them apparently. My next thought, which could be brilliant or stupid, was "What if I coated the inside of the ring with clear nail polish? The water couldn't get in an start irritating my finger. I would be healed! Or, I do something stupid to a nice piece of jewelry. Tough call. I'll make a useless poll..."

I love the ring. I want to wear it. I don't want athlete's foot on my finger. If I take the rings off when my hands get wet I am certain I will lose the ring.

So here's the poll of the day....

I voted other because I didn't want to hurt your feelings by calling you a knucklehead like mytwomonkeys did. :) JK!!!

I usually just wear my wedding band unless I am going out or we have people over for dinner. Then I wear my anniversary ring and another ring that sounds like it is constructed like yours. I always take them off when I do dishes, etc. I just put them on the kitchen counter because I'm reckless like that. But, you could get one of those ring holders or something like that to put it in.

I really think your finger just needs time to breath.

Other because I wanted to add my useless response to your useless poll. The nail polish would rub off and you'd have to reapply every so often so I'm not sure it's worth the effort or possible damage. Maybe you could just take it off every few days at night to let your skin breathe. That's my vote.

I would clean the ring weekly with jewelry cleaner. It comes in a jar with a little plastic basket in it.  You put the ring in the basket and lower it into the jar and let it sit for awhile.  There is also a little brush you can use to brush the inside of the ring.  A water pik also works well for blasting stuff off the inside of jewelry.  Also, don't wear the ring at night so your finger can breathe.  You might try an anti fungal cream at night too.

HTH,

Mary

AMDG

My daughter has sensitive skin and the very first inkling we had was the not-so-funny red spots vertically along the middle of her torso when she was a baby.  The Dr, not Dr. Google but almost as smart, said to coat the onesie snaps with clear polish.  It is definitely a tried-and-true method for temporary use for us.

If it is a ring or clip on that my daughter wants to wear now and again, it is a great option, really, the only option that we've found particularly useful.  We have not found it to be as useful as we we would like for things she would have like to wear daily; watches, for example.  If the problem is the underside of the watch face, it does okay.  If it's the band, not so good.

So, to my belabored point, I think that just filling in holes will do it but if you find that it is the ring itself, you'll need to coat pretty often and it'll build up and look less lovely than you might want.

That's my kiddo's experience anyway.

Now if it's a nickel allergy then coating it with nail Polish could help. But usually good jewelry doesn't have a very high nickel content.

I have to be careful wearing my watch in the summer because if I get hot and sweaty the metal on the clasp irritates my skin and I get a big red sore. I guess it's a combination of the moisture and the nickel.

I think nail polish would work fine.  I also think if she took it off and cleaned it with mild soap and an old toothbrush every day or so and let her hand dry well for a while she may be fine.  I have a friend with this problem - she takes it off at night now and doesn't wear it when she is cooking.  Seems to have solved the problem.

If it's closely related to athletes foot (a fungus) then your skin needs time to breathe and dry out. I would guess the ring is trapping moisture against your skin.

I would think that just taking the ring off at night would solve the problem.

This, along with regular cleaning to remove the fungus growing gunk in the holes.