Menu

Flying Jetblue...really need advice on luggage

dancer67

I am flying for the first time since 9/11. I guess many airlines have baggage requirements. I am sure they probably did years ago when I flew, but I can't remember. So I would like a new piece of luggage for Christmas. My brother is buying this gift for me. Jetblue's requirements state no larger then 62" combined. I really need to pack a lot of stuff.

I am looking for a piece of luggage that has spinner wheels, is very roomy and can pack many things,excellent quality, does not exceed the 62" requirement(Including wheels and handle which I read that some measurements they give online are not accurate because they do not count this but the airlines do), and not to exceed $200.00.

I want this to last a long time.

I am not sure if the hard sided cases are better or not???

And how do you really know if your bag weighs under 50 pounds?

Links are greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

In my (rather extensive) experience, the listed measurements will be fine. The airline is not there with a tape measure checking that the wheels/handle bump the bag to 63" or 64" territory, I promise. 

If you think you'll be packing a ton, and are worried about weight limits, I would go with soft-side. There are some fairly durable bags out there, and the extra weight of hard side adds up if you suspect you'll be maxing out your weight limits. 

We find large duffels to be best for packing as much in as possible, but the ones we have do not have the spinner wheels. We got ours at Target, and it meets your other requirements, but not the spinner wheels. So far ours have made 3 yrs worth of international trips --- from Brazil to Houston to Denver, back to Houston, back to Brazil --- 3x thus far, no signs of wear/tear yet, at all. As well as a few local/in-country trips. 

Just in case, here's an Amazon link to the one we have (Target lists it as unavailable): http://www.amazon.com/Ful-Hybrid-Rolling-Duffel-30-Inch/dp/B007RNHWFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384353219&sr=8-1&keywords=ful+duffel+bag

re: checking the weight, it's not 100% accurate, but usually my husband weighs himself w/o the bag, then picks up the bag and weighs himself holding the bag. The difference = the weight of the bag. It's close enough. They do have scales at the airport where you can check, and they'll allow you to adjust/remove items/repack as needed when you check in if your luggage is overweight.  

For weight, I just get on my scale and then get on it again holding my suitcase. Is it 62" tall? Because I think you'll find almost any suitcase is within size regulations. That's taller than I am!

No, 62" combined total -- length, width, depth/height of bag. One side of each, not total circumference (ie, you don't double the length). 

I would look for something as light weight as possible while still being somewhat durable. Unless it's a really light case, you're going to go over weight before you fill a suitcase that size nine out if ten times. Even if the lighter ones are a little cheaper/less sturdy, I would go for that and use the money saved to replace in a few years if needed.

Yes it is 62" all the way around (L+W+H). I had heard that someone bought a piece of luggage and the measurements were 60". But when he got to the terminal, Delta said it was larger because of the wheels and handle.

Where do I find a hanging scale?

And thanks so far for the suggestions, sounds like a softsided one might be the better option.

Yes it is 62" all the way around (L+W+H). I had heard that someone bought a piece of luggage and the measurements were 60". But when he got to the terminal, Delta said it was larger because of the wheels and handle.

Where do I find a hanging scale?

And thanks so far for the suggestions, sounds like a softsided one might be the better option.

I've never seen them measure the dimensions on a checked bag (not to say it never happens), but they can be *very* strict with carry on dimensions especially on small planes and international flights.