Menu

Good evening ladies... (and gentlemen)

fraidycat

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is as follows:

Share your ideas of the best items to found in a "movie prop" gift box.  Also best places/prices to find such items would be appreciated.

My 14 year old niece loves making home movies.  As in writing, directing, creating, acting in, and editing her own movies at home - not just videotaping the family as they go about life.  She has video camera, editing software, etc. already.

She is very difficult to buy for!!  So my Mom and I both had the same idea for her for Christmas.  Stuff to use as props for her movies.  I was thinking maybe some wigs, different eyeglasses, and she also likes "old-fashioned" (phones, cameras, etc.) so anything along those lines is great.

So, if you were a fantastically funny, exceptionally creative 14 year old girl who enjoyed making movies - what would YOU like to find in a prop box?  She doesn't need cosmetics/make-up.

And if you were the Auntie/Grandma to this child, where would you shop to find the best prices on several different pairs of eyeglasses frames, wigs, etc.?

I would see what I could find at thrift shops and garage sales. I bet you could put together a box of things. :)

Or ya'll could make her a nice chest to keep such things in. :)

You can find fun things at costume specialty stores like gashes and fake scars or wigs and such. They may even be having a sale atm. If it was my dd I would get a bucket of fake blood and then call it a day.

I second the sheets.  They might also work for doing 'green screen' special effects.  Should be info online.

One of those movie clapper boards would be fun too!

Some other ideas:

a horse head mask...amazon

mustaches...$1 store maybe or stocking stuffer type aisle at target or world market type places

thrift store wallets made into FBI badges

old purse and shawl

briefcase with file folders with official looking papers inside

File folders with not gross crime scene photos, crime scene tape (might be on halloween clearance)

Thanks everyone.  Great ideas! I didn't even think of thrift stores.  Duh!!

She is so fun and creative - and dry humor hilarious.  She has always been "that child".  You know, the one who can entertain herself for HOURS on end.  Pretend play.  Create characters out of nothing - with accompanying voices.  Keep herself busy.  Yeah.  I didn't get one of those - mine think I am here for their personal entertainment 24/7.  :)

I think my bro and SIL are looking in to getting her an actual green screen with software to add in the backgrounds, etc.  Like I said, she is HARD to buy for (has no answer when asked what she wants!!) so we're all thinking along her hobby line and trying to make our best guesses as to what she'd like.

She does have a clapper board already.  That was her keepsake that she picked out at Universal Studios last year.  She uses it.

My SIL might not like me too much if I get her fake blood.  :-)  They have light colored carpets!  LOL  However, my sister does theater make-up - not as a job, but she did take the course for it when she did her esthetician training and has all the stuff (she does do quite a bit at Hallowe'en), so niece has her own personal make-up artist at her beck and call to create the blood and gore, if need be.  ;)

I would think lots of accessories such as costume jewelry, scarves, hats, shoes, capes, uniforms; thinking little kid dress-up box on steroids. And yes, thrift stores and garage sales. A big old-fashioned trunk to put it all in. Maybe an old typewriter, monocle, cane.

I think I saw a megaphone at Sears in the Men's department in their "gifts" section.  Don't forget a beard! (costume shop) and perhaps a spy gear set for old style detective movies. sunglasses, hats, binoculars, trench coat, handcuffs? 

What kind of movies does she like to recreate?

Great minds.  I was just thinking that maybe I need to get her some Spy Gear stuff like my DS has for a CSI kit.  He has one with fingerprint dusting powder, fingerprinting ink and paper, etc.  My nephew (her little brother) might even have some of that stuff already, so I will have to do some more detective work of my own to figure out what they have already.  

She seems to cover many different genres.  Creepy thriller, mystery, spy stuff, comedy, drama, music videos, "reality" shows.  Really, whatever mood strikes her at the moment. So for PROP gift giving it is good - but bad.  Good: The possibilities are endless.  Bad: The possibilities are endless!  LOL

I'm trying to decide if I want to narrow down to one specific time period, or genre, etc.  I will have to talk it over more with my Mom and SIL and maybe scout the thrift stores a bit before I make a final decision.  They are the ones who actually get to see more of her finished product because I am far away and she hasn't put them online (youtube or whatever), AFAIK. I've seen a few of them when home visiting, but not much.  I just get to hear the "you have to see the new show Drama-Llama made next time you're home, it's so (funny, awesome, creepy, etc.) it's about x y z."  I just tossed a "few things" into my Amazon cart for ideas and inspiration.  A "few" = over $250 worth - most under $10!  LOL  Now I get to decide which are the must-have items.