Menu

WRTR, which edition?? 4th to learn from, then 5th or 6th?

marylandhsmom

I'm slowly learning the Spalding method here, and I have the 4th edition of the WRTR.  I checked out the 5th ed from the library, and I liked how it fleshed out a few sections (handwriting, presenting phonograms, and even the Ayres list seemed more complete).  I was thinking of actually getting it, cutting off the spines, and combining the two manuals (am I crazy?!).  But I haven't been able to look at the 6th edition.  What is the benefit of the 6th??  Ellie?  Hunter?  Anyone?  Thank you!!!!  :)

Don't do that. Just pick one and go with it. Really, truly. Just pick one.

*I'm* most familiar with the 4th, although I do own the 5th and 6th so I can try answer questions from people who have those. But really, don't try to combine them. Just pick one. And if you do the 4th edition, be sure to get phonogram cards that go with it. There are slight differences between 4th and 5th/6th, and it's easier to get the ones that go with the manual you have.

Do cut off the spine, though, and have the book drilled for three holes, and keep it in a three-ring notebook. If you get the 5th or 6th, you can put each one in two notebooks, one for each part.

Just do one. If you have the 4th I recommend doing the 4th for YOUR teacher notebook. You'll be able to switch over with the kids to a later version if you want to. But for YOUR first time through, making YOUR notebook, just pick one.

Just use the supplied flashcards for YOUR learning, if you do the 4th. Don't put any roadblocks in your path.

The only thing I like better about the 6th edition is the cursive handwriting instructions. The index is nice in the 5th and 6th too.

Don't read the integrated language arts in the 5th and 6th until after you have completed your spelling notebook. Don't get distracted. More isn't always better. Often it's just more confusing.

I found the 5th and 6th integrated Language arts to be a tease. I'd be almost ready to teach it, but not quite, then would buy more and more pricey and time consuming materials from Spalding, that gave me more questions and never even answered the original ones. The more I spent and studied, the less I felt ready to teach.

Then I took out the 4th and JUST did the 4th, for better or worse. Just DID it. Ploughed ahead not matter what on the spelling. I finished my notebook and then and only then did I start looking at the competition and forming opinions again.

What I decided is that all the competition is equal, with both strengths and weakness that WRTR doesn't have. Because of copyright laws no one can copy AND add to WRTR's best parts. So some of the best stuff is missing, even if there are modern dictionary updates and worksheets.

If you take the time to COMPLETE the 4th, you will never regret it, no matter what you choose to use afterwards. And your own spelling is very likely to improve significantly.