Menu

Stocking a kitchen...all over again

lamolina

I have seen a lot of kitchen threads lately and have lots of new ideas, but I am looking for some guidance. My family did something a little crazy, we decided it was time to give back to others and so we sold our house and everything in it and went to South America to help people. We will soon be returning to the US and will basically be starting over. We call it being like newlyweds but with 3 children!

I think I did keep my nice Calphalon pans, and other than that all I have is a spatula!

If you were in this situation, what would you need to start with in your kitchen!? And specific recommendations for brands are great too, I am so out of the loop on what is good anymore!

thanks!

I've given some thought as dd is currently looking at houses to buy - only she's lived at home so she doesn't have much of anything. so these are some of the more basic things I've thought of. (well - some aren't so basic.) she will probably buy many from thrift stores to start.    she cooks to relax.

mixer

blender

toaster

microwave

measuring cups and spoons

wooden spoons

various thermometers

spatulas

pancake turners

whisks

pyrex measuring cups

mixing bowls in various sizes

bakeware - 9x13, cookie sheets, cupcake tins, roasting rack

cooling rack

pots and pans

frying pan

griddle

It depends on what you like to cook/eat. 

I would say Basics are: 

good cutting board

good knives

12" frying pan (I like cast iron for this but it may depend on your stove or what you like)

3 qt. saucepan (not aluminum, at least revereware quality)

colander

large spoon/spatula/can opener/flipper/instant read thermometer/tongs

large mixing bowl/measuring cups/sliding measuring spoon/measuring glass (liquids)

cookie sheets

9x13 pan

plates/glasses/silverware/bowls

containers for leftovers.

You can do quite a lot with those items and then slowly specialize with other things you like to do.

Things I would add to Basic (ie MY Basic):

crockpot

stock pot or dutch oven

pizza stone

silicone sheets (I use mine for homemade pizza weekly)

pasta dishes (really just wide shallow bowls I love to use for serving or splitting a serving with dh)

cooling racks

muffin tins

bread tins/cake pan

8x8 square cake pans with lid (great for anything from a cake to an extra lasagna to freeze)

mixer

food processor

electric kettle

coffee maker

pitcher

1-cup sized bowls (mine were called rice bowls but they're perfect for anything you want to portion control)

kitchen shears

small fine-mesh colander