Menu

Yet Another Annoying Word of the Day (Most emphatically NOT CC)

Aelwydd

The Strawberry Hill was a step up from Malt Duck, and we were way cooler than those who had to settle for Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Wine Coolers *sniff* I had a lot of worship time during my days with wine coolers. Most of it was to a porcelain god though.  :rolleyes:

PBR is now the big hipster beer.  Tallboys.  

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently had a lady respond to a facebook post of mine in a paragraph of wall-to-wall Christianese. Even having grown up in the church, I couldn't translate it.

There's an app for that. Actually, I don't know if there is or not. But there is a website:

http://www.dictionaryofchristianese.com

And a blimey cow video:

http://blimeycowbeta.com/videos/how-to-talk-like-a-christian/

Woot.

If this rather innocuous thread started out with controversy, I can only imagine what my little post would do. :boxing_smiley:

You could be the catalyst for the next great Kerfluffle.

Board infamy.

That's all I'm sayin'.........

Yes, what she said! A Kerfluffle would be awesome right now because I am feeling unproductive and the Internet is boring to day.

8ef7bbcd.jpg

Ha! The prayer of the Just Man! My uncle always says the blessing at family meals. It always starts with "Our precious Lord, we just come to you today..." My sisters and I (who are Catholic) always thought it was a hoot.

Oh, Moxie, I'd forgotten that "just" opener!  Yes, a classic. :lol:

An unofficial contest? Really?  Where do you live?

I don't understand how these terms are so frustrating, or how you are having to constantly hear them to get you this agitated. I'm a Christian in the deep south and in a small rural town & I don't hear these things constantly in my daily conversations.  So I'm wondering how you are in earshot of all this lingo.

Granted. There is a lot about Christianity we could pick apart, but God honoring, fellowship, Christ follower? Those terms really pi$$ you off this badly?? II'm just not sure why?  

I'm willing to guess that most on here just have a dislike of jargon in general. It grates on my nerves, especially when the grammar is twisted. I hate it in Christian circles, in my DH's work writing and speaking, and in politics. Most of the time there are other words that already say what the jargon term is trying to say, and say it better. 

An unofficial contest? Really?  Where do you live?

Texas?

]I don't understand how these terms are so frustrating, or how you are having to constantly hear them to get you this agitated. I'm a Christian in the deep south and in a small rural town & I don't hear these things constantly in my daily conversations.  So I'm wondering how you are in earshot of all this lingo.

Granted. There is a lot about Christianity we could pick apart, but God honoring, fellowship, Christ follower? Those terms really pi$$ you off this badly?? II'm just not sure why?

In my book, "really annoying" and eye-rollingly worthy do not constitute "so frustrating" or "agitated" or "pissed off."

They just equate really annoying.  You're exactly right, there's a lot to pick about Christianity, but my original post isn't about picking on Christianity. I'm not talking about anything crucial to the heart of Christianity.

I'm talking about an annoying trend to take perfectly useful and serviceable words, like "godly" and "honorable," and finding ways to meld them that come out sounding really awkward. It doesn't sound more pious to my ear.  It just sounds ridiculous.

I'm sure Christians aren't the only ones who have this habit.  Ergo, why I said other words may be added to the list!

Other groups surely do it.  But, since my upbringing was Christian, and that's my framework now, a lot of these terms happen to derive from that culture.

I'm willing to guess that most on here just have a dislike of jargon in general. It grates on my nerves, especially when the grammar is twisted. I hate it in Christian circles, in my DH's work writing and speaking, and in politics. Most of the time there are other words that already say what the jargon term is trying to say, and say it better. 

Indeed. Precisely.  Exactly.  Indubitably.

In other words, spot on.

P.S.  Oh, and also meant to add: politico speech is the worst.  It's right down there with corporate speech. There is some truly stupid language in both those arenas, lol.

Texas?

In my book, "really annoying" and eye-rollingly worthy do not constitute "so frustrating" or "agitated" or "pissed off."

They just equate really annoying. You're exactly right, there's a lot to pick about Christianity, but my original post isn't about picking on Christianity. I'm not talking about anything crucial to the heart of Christianity.

I'm talking about an annoying trend to take perfectly useful and serviceable words, like "godly" and "honorable," and finding ways to meld them that come out sounding really awkward. It doesn't sound more pious to my ear. It just sounds ridiculous.

I'm sure Christians aren't the only ones who have this habit. Ergo, why I said other words may be added to the list!

Other groups surely do it. But, since my upbringing was Christian, and that's my framework now, a lot of these terms happen to derive from that culture.

I must have misread your tone then. In your first post it seemed to me you were pi$$ed off. My first thought was someone missed their morning coffee. I didn't realize the term "God honoring" could illicit such annoyance. I get what you're saying better now.

I agree that there are phrases in general that can be eye-roll worthy, not just via "Christianese". Although, my husband always laughs when he hears "hedge of protection". :)

I must have misread your tone then. In your first post it seemed to me you were pi$$ed off. My first thought was someone missed their morning coffee. I didn't realize the term "God honoring" could illicit such annoyance. I get what you're saying better now.

I agree that there are phrases in general that can be eye-roll worthy, not just via "Christianese". Although, my husband always laughs when he hears "hedge of protection". :)

"Hedge of protection." :lol: :lol: :lol:  I'd forgotten that one!

In order to guard against the "enemy's ambush."  

Sorry, I know that was an extremely silly pun.

My tone was meant to be sardonic, not angry.  I had originally thought to start it on a different annoying word -- "criticality" -- that I've heard several times at my place of employment.  But I thought probably most people had never heard of it heere and would be all :huh: .

I agree that Christianese can be too much & it's mostly annoying when it seems to be mostly for show.  Like any jargon, really.  But it isn't the word that's annoying it's the appearance of insincerity that bugs me.  I could be wrong about their sincerity but it does annoy me.

I do understand the spirit of this thread but I can't get on board with making fun of how people pray.  That I really don't get & it's pretty disappointing that so many Christians feel it's OK to make fun of how other Christians pray.  

I just want to toss in my vote for Manischewitz as the best cheap wine of teenagedom.  It makes the most beautiful barf-on-the-beach* ever.

* Not the name of a cocktail. The literal thing.

momoflaw, the "just" prayer thing is pretty well-established "laugh territory."  By that I mean, it's something that fellow evangelicals and I used to laugh when I was in that church.  My family still laughs about it.  And they still go to the same church.

I've heard Catholics and Catholic comedians make plenty of jokes about their prayers and Hail Marys. I didn't grow up in that tradition, so I don't have the "inside" humor on that.  But, I don't get mad or offended when I hear Catholics or ex-Catholics joke about that. 

I'll let others answer for themselves on here.  But, I feel that if, after explaining the point of my post several times now, folks are still insisting it's about attacking Christianity -- please, enough with the persecution stuff.  If the quirks of modern language are so sancrosanct, that every phrase or word gets angrily defended, because it's used by some Christians, somewhere, some of the time, that's really sad, IMO.

momoflaw, the "just" prayer thing is pretty well-established "laugh territory." By that I mean, it's something that fellow evangelicals and I used to laugh when I was in that church. My family still laughs about it. And they still go to the same church.

I've heard Catholics and Catholic comedians make plenty of jokes about their prayers and Hail Marys. I didn't grow up in that tradition, so I don't have the "inside" humor on that. But, I don't get mad or offended when I hear Catholics or ex-Catholics joke about that.

I'll let others answer for themselves on here. But, I feel that if, after explaining the point of my post several times now, folks are still insisting it's about attacking Christianity -- please, enough with the persecution stuff. If the quirks of modern language are so sancrosanct, that every phrase or word gets angrily defended, because it's used by some Christians, somewhere, some of the time, that's really sad, IMO.

We'll have to agree to disagree about mocking people's prayers. I have only heard it here and I think think it's rude and tacky.

As to he original point of this thread, I already said I did unde stand it. I haven't claimed persecution or anything else. Nor have I taken offense to any criticism of jargon.

I just want to toss in my vote for Manischewitz as the best cheap wine of teenagedom.  It makes the most beautiful barf-on-the-beach* ever.

* Not the name of a cocktail. The literal thing.

My memories of Manischewitz are all tied to really bad headaches. :P

We'll have to agree to disagree about mocking people's prayers. I have only heard it here and I think think it's rude and tacky.

As to he original point of this thread, I already said I did unde stand it. I haven't claimed persecution or anything else. Nor have I taken offense to any criticism of jargon.

Ok, now I'm confused.  You don't take offense to criticism of jargon.  Well, the "just" prayer is part of that.  It's mainstream jargon, as pervasive as "like" is in conversation.  No one is mocking other people's invidividual prayers, momoflaw.  That would be tacky.

I don't remember who brought up the "just" thing, but it was about the contemporary use of it in a number of generic, public prayers.  We can make fun of it because it's so commonplace, and because most of us have either prayed it ourselves, or heard it in public prayer. 

Aelwydd, I know that some people have taken your post the wrong way, but I'm a Christian and I appreciate the laughs.  I grew up in the United Methodist church, so I can't join the Catholics for cheap wine (only grape juice for me!), but I now attend an evangelical, non-denominational church and the jargon in this thread is very common in my circle.  Sometimes we don't realize how much jargon we use until a new Christian shows up and can't figure out what we're talking about and asks why we "just pray" for this and "just ask" for that.  My own dh prays for the food to "nourish our bodies" every time he prays over our food. I'm sure I've been guilty of using a few of these terms too and I choose to laugh at myself.  Now, you and the bickering posters really do have a "heart issue" and need to "get right with God".

I'm going to put up an Electric Fence of Protection with razor wire on top!

---------------hedge of protection separating a direct response from a general one -----------------------

I vote that this is a light thread that I have thoroughly enjoyed. The title warned us that there might be some irreverent humor. I love observational humor. I once lost half a day of my life because a friend was trying to explain how black churches are different from white churches. She sent links and down that bunny hole I went. If I didn't find it entertaining, I wouldn't have kept going. The same is true for this thread.

I'm going to put up an Electric Fence of Protection with razor wire on top!

I also vote that this is a light thread that I have thoroughly enjoyed. The title warned us that there might be some irreverent humor. I love observational humor. I once lost half a day of my life because a friend was trying to explain how black churches are different from white churches. She sent links and down that bunny hole I went. If I didn't find it entertaining, I wouldn't have kept going. The same is true for this thread.

put up your electric fence then, whatever that means.  

i misread the OP's tone and said so to her & even said i understand now more where she was coming from (in the post you quoted ironically).  i've posted light hearted comments here too. did you not click on my link where they were "worshiping" Jesus spinning smelly socks?? 

put up your electric fence then, whatever that means.  

i misread the OP's tone and said so to her & even said i understand now more where she was coming from (in the post you quoted ironically).  i've posted light hearted comments here too. did you not click on my link where they were "worshiping" Jesus spinning smelly socks??

The first sentence is a response to the "hedge of protection" and the reason I quoted your post. The hedge thing is exactly what amuses me about this thread and definitely belongs on the list.

The rest is addressed to the thread in general, but no single post specifically. I should have separated it more. I'll fix that.

The first sentence is a response to the "hedge of protection" and the reason I quoted your post. The hedge thing is exactly what amuses me about this thread and definitely belongs on the list.

The rest is addressed to the thread in general, but no single post specifically. I should have separated it more. I'll fix that.

okay. got it. sorry. i thought you were needing protection from my comments or something, like i was too hard on the original poster and a debbie downer to the thread. when really, i just didn't understand what she was so mad about. she explained herself further though & i even tried to add to the fun a little :)

Aelwydd, I know that some people have taken your post the wrong way, but I'm a Christian and I appreciate the laughs.  I grew up in the United Methodist church, so I can't join the Catholics for cheap wine (only grape juice for me!), but I now attend an evangelical, non-denominational church and the jargon in this thread is very common in my circle.  Sometimes we don't realize how much jargon we use until a new Christian shows up and can't figure out what we're talking about and asks why we "just pray" for this and "just ask" for that.  My own dh prays for the food to "nourish our bodies" every time he prays over our food. I'm sure I've been guilty of using a few of these terms too and I choose to laugh at myself.  Now, you and the bickering posters really do have a "heart issue" and need to "get right with God".

:D

Yeah, all groups have jargon, and I know some jargon even annoys people who are members of that group, as you've noted. I can understand if out-group members criticizing another group's jargon seems rude too. 

Anywho, I don't care, obviously :)  

I, too, remember "nourish our bodies."  My friend's father always prayed that God "might bless this food to the nourishment of our bodies, and us to the service of thy will."  I always sort of liked that. When do we every get to be that florid in our speech. At the same time, I realize it's not standard speech and that's what made it stick out, and what made it special--however it struck me aesthetically.

In the same way, when I went to a Beachy Church, and took my then-boyfriend/now-husband, the King Jamesy prayers grated at his last nerve, but I loved it. It's an affectation, sure, but its a cultural marker and keeps the in-group status in place.  

Similarly, the English of the KJV is not the English of the day when it was used. It, too, was an affectation, actually resembling speech of somewhere between 50-70 years prior to the time during which it was translated. It was translated that way to give it extra weight--the beauty and gravity of "past" language. 

My favorite hymn is still "Be Thou My Vision" because I just friggin' love the syntax and lexicon. 

Anyway, sorry, this is neither here nor there. I have tons of annoying words in my head, but I've just never been able to chat about the overtly Christian ones before. There are plenty among in-group atheists too. *shrug*

Not for anything, but I didn't get the impression that anyone here was making fun of the way anyone else prays.

I thought most of the comments were very lighthearted and funny, and that when people talked about specific churches, they were speaking of their own religions, not poking fun at others' beliefs.

That said, I could understand that someone who had only skimmed the thread might have gotten the wrong idea, but if they did, I hope they will go back and read all of the posts to see that this is not an anti-Christian thread at all.

Don't forget the prayer before a potluck: "Bless the hands that prepared this food." Hmmm, I thought I had a whole body, not just hands.

You have to be careful to avoid talking about the sexual suggestive parts..........

You know, the knees, elbows, etc.

I can't hear shiny without thinking Firefly.  Irregardless (my least favorite word) of the detours this thread has taken I've been snorting coffee up my nose over some of the words- especially "nourish" our bodies.  My Dad always used that phrase to pray over our meals.  It's so silly but still; I love it.  Growing up with God at every meal, caring for us...

OkĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ for some reason I CANNOT remember why shiny is a Firefly thing.  

For pity's sake, I just watched it...

I know I'm just having a dumb moment.  But I still can't remember.  :lol:

Ok, now I'm confused.  You don't take offense to criticism of jargon.  Well, the "just" prayer is part of that.  It's mainstream jargon, as pervasive as "like" is in conversation.  No one is mocking other people's invidividual prayers, momoflaw.  That would be tacky.

I don't remember who brought up the "just" thing, but it was about the contemporary use of it in a number of generic, public prayers.  We can make fun of it because it's so commonplace, and because most of us have either prayed it ourselves, or heard it in public prayer. 

eh, laughing in response to someone's prayer is tacky, no matter what words were used.  Doesn't matter if it's your own faith tradition or not.  "just" isn't really jargon - people of all flavors of Xianity say it - mostly because they're nervous, not because "just" has any special significance to their faith.

It isn't about not being able to laugh at myself - I don't do it anyway so there isn't anything to laugh at.

eh, laughing in response to someone's prayer is tacky, no matter what words were used.  Doesn't matter if it's your own faith tradition or not.  "just" isn't really jargon - people of all flavors of Xianity say it - mostly because they're nervous, not because "just" has any special significance to their faith.

It isn't about not being able to laugh at myself - I don't do it anyway so there isn't anything to laugh at.

Of course. The "just" is a filler--but the fascinating thing is that it's so Christian. This is _the_ Christian prayer filler word among some Christian groups. It's actually Very Interesting!  If you look at different denominations, you'll find that they have their own prayer phrases--including fillers! These are not things we are born with, but they are markers of co-cultures within a larger culture (national, or religious, or what have you.) 

I bet if you put together an ecumenical prayer group, I could pretty quickly identify many of the different groups based on their phraseology, even if they're praying for the same thing and all they're all Christian.

Are we really mocking his prayer? I don't think so. What's actually of chuckled at, is that this particular linguistic variation is so obvious. It's similar to when I hear someone repeating "um" a hundred times in a presentation, or hearing my daughter say "like" in every other clause. 

Here's something interesting. My husband had a friend in Scouts who used the word "although" in every sentence. Even when it didn't belong. "We need to set a fire although."  "It will probably be rainy tonight although."  It was completely ridiculous. So, at a campout all of the boys starting using "although" in all of their sentences.   

Their Scout friend quickly stopped using "although." Kind of sad, maybe. But it was noticeable, and it was amusing.

Same thing with the just.  Fascinating, really. Of course I don't believe prayer is some sort of great thing that we can never be amused by, or even note the idiocyncracies in.

DH's pet peeve phrase is "each and every" we have a particular pastor who user it frequently,

I keep count and text DH in the booth to harass him about it.

Our pastor always says, "Let me unpack this for you..." I like him as a speaker, but that cliche just makes me cringe....Stop unpacking already. Just tell us what you mean. 

Our pastor always says, "Let me unpack this for you..." I like him as a speaker, but that cliche just makes me cringe....Stop unpacking already. Just tell us what you mean.

Ha! I know what you mean.

Most of the phrases in this thread don't bother me in isolation or when used infrequently.

It is when they reach some undefined critical mass that I start feeling.......

Whenever I unpack this emotion, I'll get back to you!

:P

Here's something interesting. My husband had a friend in Scouts who used the word "although" in every sentence. Even when it didn't belong. "We need to set a fire although." "It will probably be rainy tonight although." It was completely ridiculous. So, at a campout all of the boys starting using "although" in all of their sentences.

Their Scout friend quickly stopped using "although." Kind of sad, maybe. But it was noticeable, and it was amusing.

Same thing with the just. Fascinating, really. Of course I don't believe prayer is some sort of great thing that we can never be amused by, or even note the idiocyncracies in.

I wouldn't use the words fascinating or interesting or amusing in this example.

I'd use the words demeaning, mocking and ridiculing. I wouldn't treat someone I called a friend that way.

I wouldn't use the words fascinating or interesting or amusing in this example.

I'd use the words demeaning, mocking and ridiculing. I wouldn't treat someone I called a friend that way.

For the "although." Yes, I agree, they were mocking and ridiculing--that's why I said it was sad.

Back to my point. . . (!)

To recognize a _culturally_ promoted lexical expression, that's primarily identifiable in prayer--that's fascinating to a linguist. I realize that if you are a believing person you may find any comment on a person's prayer to be critical and mocking, but  . . . bah. Whatevs. Feel free to be offended for those people who are being commented on here and who have no idea people have made note of their obvious speech patterns.