Menu

Yet Another Annoying Word of the Day (Most emphatically NOT CC)

Aelwydd

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel free to make any presumption you wish about my motive. That you can do so does not make it actually correct.

Now you've had your tiff. Next time, simply state your conclusion up front instead of asking as if you hadn't already decided what my inner thoughts and feelings are. It's more efficient that way, and simpler to note, and then move on.

I will not engage you any further on this. Feel free to start your own purposeful thread though. I won't even go over there and make insinuations about what you really think.

It's too bad you didn't keep reading before YOU had your TIFF because Orthodox6 already said she's happy to be corrected.

When I was a high schooler, I started attending a large church called "The Fellowship of Excitement." My atheist father always bit back a smile when I said the name.

The woman who discipled me, and whom I love dearly, always said how much she enjoyed talking of "the things of the Lord," with me. My Christian boyfriend, and now-husband got a pained look every time she said this.

When I worked in Christian publishing, our style book forbade the use of "gifting" (n.) and we had to use "giftedness" (n.). Just thought that might fit in with the topic of conversation.

Can't believe I missed this.

Fellowship of Excitement. Bwahaha!

(Was there a ring involved, by chance?)

My post was the correction. And you are welcome to take your animosity to another thread, because I will not engage you further, either.

What you call animosity I call speaking up for a friend who was the target of an unnecessary post, since she had already said she was happy to be corrected.

Is "I will not engage you further" the Chat board equivalent of "lalalalalalala I'm not listening to you"?

No, it's the equivalent of I will not trade insults and attacks with you, in a very fruitless and un-Christlike (another awkward word!) attempt to "win" a disagreement.

If it will satisfy you, go ahead and think of this as me "lalalala-ing" you. I don't claim to be a particularly adequate Christian, so I'm afraid I have no grounds to protest such a mark upon my dignity.

Red, red wiiiine...stay close to meeee...

No, it's the equivalent of I will not trade insults and attacks with you, in a very fruitless and un-Christlike (another awkward word!) attempt to "win" a disagreement.

If it will satisfy you, go ahead and think of this as me "lalalala-ing" you. I don't claim to be a particularly adequate Christian, so I'm afraid I have no grounds to protest such a mark upon my dignity.

Red, red wiiiine...stay close to meeee...

I didn't insult or attack you.

It's OK. I'll get out of *your* thread now.

Oooh, I thought of another one. A person I knew was criticizing the use of "just" in prayers. Someone I knew would pray--

"Heavenly Father, we pray you just bless Rob, Lord. We just ask you to lift him up, Jesus, and just to fill him with your comfort." etc.

The criticism was that using "just" slighted the power of God that the pray-er should be asking for such a thin slice. I thought this was silly at the time; it was a filler word, not a theological statement. Or, it was an expression of emphasis. Either way, I swallowed my own criticism in response.

Yeah, I heard that one a lot growing up. It's one reason liturgical prayer appeals more to me.

Oooh, I thought of another one. A person I knew was criticizing the use of "just" in prayers. Someone I knew would pray--

"Heavenly Father, we pray you just bless Rob, Lord. We just ask you to lift him up, Jesus, and just to fill him with your comfort." etc.

The criticism was that using "just" slighted the power of God that the pray-er should be asking for such a thin slice. I thought this was silly at the time; it was a filler word, not a theological statement. Or, it was an expression of emphasis. Either way, I swallowed my own criticism in response.

Ha! The prayer of the Just Man! My uncle always says the blessing at family meals. It always starts with "Our precious Lord, we just come to you today..." My sisters and I (who are Catholic) always thought it was a hoot.

Ha! The prayer of the Just Man! My uncle always says the blessing at family meals. It always starts with "Our precious Lord, we just come to you today..." My sisters and I (who are Catholic) always thought it was a hoot.

Does he also say 'nourish it to our bodies.'?

You ladies who are bickering . . .this is a 'heart issue' and we need to . . .

I forgot what we do for heart issues. Do we capture the heart? Mend it? Soften it? Who remembers?

That's fantastic!

I'm glad that my post conjured up images in your brain.  Fairies, perhaps, or unicorns?

Origin of FANTASTIC
Middle English fantastic, fantastical, from Middle French & Late Latin; Middle French fantastique, from Late Latinphantasticus, from Greek phantastikos producing mental images, from phantazein to present to the mind

L

I'm glad that my post conjured up images in your brain. Fairies, perhaps, or unicorns?

Origin of FANTASTIC

Middle English fantastic, fantastical, from Middle French & Late Latin; Middle French fantastique, from Late Latinphantasticus, from Greek phantastikos producing mental images, from phantazein to present to the mind

L

Or just a sign that the kids and I have been overindulgent with watching Dr. Who!

:P

I can't hear shiny without thinking Firefly.  Irregardless (my least favorite word) of the detours this thread has taken I've been snorting coffee up my nose over some of the words- especially "nourish" our bodies.  My Dad always used that phrase to pray over our meals.  It's so silly but still; I love it.  Growing up with God at every meal, caring for us...

Basically, there is an unofficial contest--at least it seems to me--amoung various Christian groups to find fault with mainstream Christian concepts, like "fellowship" or living a "godly" life.

They can't just be Christians--most of those are fake anyway, donchaknow? Nope, if you want to set yourself apart and above, you gotta create new language to accomodate your concepts. So, you're not just a Christian, with all that historical baggage and stuff that goes with that term.

Nope, you're a Christ-follower.

And you're not just living a godly life, or trying to live a santified faith.  Nah.  It's "god-honoring."

Yes, I know it technically all means the same thing. I never said there was logicalness to their methodocity. ;)

An unofficial contest? Really?  Where do you live?

I don't understand how these terms are so frustrating, or how you are having to constantly hear them to get you this agitated. I'm a Christian in the deep south and in a small rural town & I don't hear these things constantly in my daily conversations.  So I'm wondering how you are in earshot of all this lingo.

Granted. There is a lot about Christianity we could pick apart, but God honoring, fellowship, Christ follower? Those terms really pi$$ you off this badly?? II'm just not sure why?  

You are thinking too deeply for this. The purpose of the thread...is to grouse about a word. Other words may be added.

Well...while I use the word God-honoring myself, if you're taking additions, the word "missional" annoys me. I wrote further about that if anyone relates.

Heart issues: don't we "address" them?

Does he also say 'nourish it to our bodies.'?

Oh, I HATE that!  I grew up Catholic and most of my family are still Catholic.  Once thing I appreciated about it was the simple, 10-second, same-every-time grace before meals, when we said it.  Get in, get out, get on with the meal.  

I have one aunt and uncle who left the Catholic church decades ago and are....something.  I'm not sure.  Some sort of born-again Christian.  I'm really not sure how they identify.  Anyway, whenever that particular uncle (who I love and adore, by the way) co-opts grace, we all settle in with a drink and a book.  It's usually a long dissertation, asking for blessings for every single thing (isn't it supposed to be about the meal?), and it ALWAYS includes "Father God, we just ask that you bless this food and nourish it to our bodies..."  WHAT?  My sisters and I used to have to leave the room because we could barely stifle our laughs.  

They still make this swill? I thought it was outlawed. :ack2:

It was a key ingredient in the "Jesus juice" served at the secret, christian school parties back in the dark ages.

(Okay, according to my son I was a teen in the dark ages.)

Not that *I* ever attended such gatherings..........one just hears talk!

It was a key ingredient in the "Jesus juice" served at the secret, christian school parties back in the dark ages.

(Okay, according to my son I was a teen in the dark ages.)

Not that *I* ever attended such gatherings..........one just hears talk!

We consumed massive quantities of Strawberry Hill back in the day.  I can't even imagine drinking it now.  Gross.

Oh, yeah. Zima. I remember liking it. My younger self would not be able to handle my bourbon-drinking older self.

Well it could be argued that my adult self has poor taste in booze since my favorite drink at home is vodka and crystal lite!

ETA- well, it is a toss up between that and my fave local wine.

But..... my life is very shiny.  So I have to say 'brilliant' all the time.

L

Is your future so bright that you gotta wear shades?

This thread has literally made my head explode.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Oh, I HATE that!  I grew up Catholic and most of my family are still Catholic.  Once thing I appreciated about it was the simple, 10-second, same-every-time grace before meals, when we said it.  Get in, get out, get on with the meal.  

I have one aunt and uncle who left the Catholic church decades ago and are....something.  I'm not sure.  Some sort of born-again Christian.  I'm really not sure how they identify.  Anyway, whenever that particular uncle (who I love and adore, by the way) co-opts grace, we all settle in with a drink and a book.  It's usually a long dissertation, asking for blessings for every single thing (isn't it supposed to be about the meal?), and it ALWAYS includes "Father God, we just ask that you bless this food and nourish it to our bodies..."  WHAT?  My sisters and I used to have to leave the room because we could barely stifle our laughs.

I usually forget this is a thing, then I get ambushed with it at times when a reaction is inappropriate. It's just not fair.

When I was a high schooler, I started attending a large church called "The Fellowship of Excitement." My atheist father always bit back a smile when I said the name.

Hmmm . . . I may need to convert. I like the sound of that congregation!

Hey, if people are still arguing on Day 2, do we transition from tomato staking to blanket training?

Just looking at this gives me a hangover.  Then we moved on to wine coolers and thought we were so much more sophisticated.

The Strawberry Hill was a step up from Malt Duck, and we were way cooler than those who had to settle for Pabst Blue Ribbon. 

Wine Coolers *sniff* I had a lot of worship time during my days with wine coolers. Most of it was to a porcelain god though.  :rolleyes: