Menu

Strange Question: Braces and MRIs?

SewLittleTime

Ds got a referral to an orthodontist today to start the process of braces.  I knew it was coming based on his checkup 6 months ago. However, it brings up a strange question now for us. Ds was diagnosed with a gene mutation this summer that forces him to undergo MRI scans of his head, abdomen, and pelvis every 2 years.  He just had his scans done in September.  They asked a ton of questions about having metal anywhere in his body.  Which brings me to my strange question.  Can MRIs be done on a patient with braces? 

I'm set to call his drs. at Mayo tomorrow, but just curious if anyone might have some experience with a child that had braces and underwent an MRI and what provisions were made if any.

Or you can do braces like invisalign that don't have metal. Talk to the ortho about options. Maybe they can do nonmetallic for the part that's adhered to the teeth, then you'd just have to schedule ortho to take off the wires before mri and put them back after.

my son had to have a MRI about a month ago .  He wears braces but it was very important that he have this MRI.  His doctor sent us to CHOP (Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia) instead of going to any local place.  The radiologist at CHOP said that the images were full of glare but the doctor was able to read them well enough to get the results that he wanted.  The radiologist was not happy at all that ds had braces but what else were we to do.  Taking them out and/not doing the MRI were not options.

Thanks unsinkable and Jeannie in NJ for your perspective.

I have 4 orthodontists to choose from and will discuss some options during our consult visits.

You'd need to also talk to the doc who orders the MRI. If the braces cause enough artifact that they can't get a good read and the MRI is really important, the doc who orders it needs to know.

You'd need to also talk to the doc who orders the MRI. If the braces cause enough artifact that they can't get a good read and the MRI is really important, the doc who orders it needs to know.

I have a call in to the drs. Hopefully, I'll hear back from them soon.  His genetics dr. is extremely prompt in answering our phone calls.  The endocrinologist usually takes a day or two.  The MRIs are extremely important to his protocol for management of his disease.

I have a call in to the drs. Hopefully, I'll hear back from them soon. His genetics dr. is extremely prompt in answering our phone calls. The endocrinologist usually takes a day or two. The MRIs are extremely important to his protocol for management of his disease.

(((Hugs)))

It is really stressful to deal with issues like this.

can you go to a radiology lab at a children's hospital?  I would think they often have to do MRIs with dc with braces so would be more experienced with it than a non pediatric hospital.

He is a patient at the Mayo Clinic and seen at St. Mary's Hospital which is Mayo's Children's Hospital.  Given the number of patients they see, I'm sure they must do something for situations like this.  It's all new to me though, so I'm trying to find out some answers.