Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Night Elf

Earrings for sensitive ears

Recommended Posts

I'm not sure if my dd has sensitive ears or not but I don't want to take a chance. I found what I'm looking for on Etsy but the earring is silver colored surgical stainless steel. What might be the problem with this type of metal or whatever it's called? The shop owner has some other designs in sterling silver. She does custom orders so she might work with me to make exactly what I need. Would sterling silver be better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be mistaken, but surgical stainless steel is supposed to be ok.

It's the nickel that causes problems for people,

The purer the metal, the better, so maybe sterling would be better.

 

We went with gold for the posts, but I'm hoping surgical ss will be ok when the posts come out (dd just got hers done 2 weeks ago). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two children that get red, puffy ears from earring posts.  Their ears also turn black and goopy if the earring stays in too long.

 

One thing is to not wear the earring for more than a day-- to give the ear some rest.--

Another thing is to dip the post in a type of barrier (like neosporin)  before putting in ear.

 

The best thing I have found is a high quality GOLD post -- the higher the gold content the better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dd doesn't like yellow gold. And the Etsy shop I found doesn't offer white gold. The earrings aren't expensive so i might just give the stainless steel a try. I'm getting conflicting information from searching online, but I haven't found any that says it's bad. She only wears them when she goes out. At home, she just leaves in regular studs, but I can't remember what metal they are. I paid about $50 for them when she got her ears double pierced. Her original holes turned black after wearing black studs continulously. We weren't sure if the black was from the type of metal (cheap earring), or the color of the earring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

surgical stainless steel is usually safe for allergies. 

 

 

cheap metals contain nickel - which is most likely to cause a reaction.   even gold or silver are not "pure", but an alloy.  unless you know what they are combined with, even they can be questionable.  (my mother reacted to gold.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I ever found that sort of worked for me were these plastic looking things that went over the post and using plastic backs. Even then, after a couple of hours my hears would swell and get infected, so I gave up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

The best thing I have found is a high quality GOLD post -- the higher the gold content the better.

 

This was the only solution for my mother, who was afflicted with extremely sensitive skin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an earring company called Simply Whispers that sells earrings and jewelry for those with allergies. My mom has a severe nickel allergy and she loves these earrings! I have a mild allergy and my girls are moderately allergic. QVC shows a lot of allergy-friendly jewelry as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an earring company called Simply Whispers that sells earrings and jewelry for those with allergies. My mom has a severe nickel allergy and she loves these earrings!

My daughter has a severe nickle allergy as well and Whispers work well for her too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep I can relate-I'm like that too---I either have to do the "studs" that you get pierced with or earrings made for sensitive ears....SIMPLY WHISPERS has alot to choose from-I've bought alot from them....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have very sensitive ears. The big problem for me is nickel, and surgical steel does usually have nickel in it.  Sterling silver is not usually alloyed with nickel, so I'm usually OK with that.

 

It used to be that I had to get earrings that were specifically nickel free, but it seems that at this point, most earrings labeled "hypoallergenic" also now are nickel free.   

 

(Three of my kids also share this nickel problem, but the fourth does not.   I got this from my dad, who always had trouble with watch backs and could not wear his wedding ring, and my brother and sister also have it--it is highly heritable.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DD has really sensitive ears, I try to stick to gold or sterling silver but sometimes there is a pair of earrings that she thinks are awesome and just has to wear.

We put clear nail polish on anything that will be touching skin and she is good to go. She reapplies the nail polish each time she wears them just in case some of it has chipped off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE A COUPON FOR
10% OFF
We respect your privacy.You’ll hear about new products, special discounts & sales, and homeschooling tips. *Coupon only valid for first-time registrants. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer. Entering your email address makes you eligible to receive future promotional emails.
0 Shares
Share
Tweet
Pin
×