Menu

HELP please! I need a new book to read this week! Anything clean...

HappyGrace

Things I've read and enjoyed-anything by Francine Rivers, Maeve Binchy, John Grisham...

I can't find a good new fiction author so I've been reading and enjoying the following: Kisses for Katie, 12 Years a Slave, and a couple Christian biographies.

Just ordered the new John Grisham but it's not in yet, also the biography of the guy who created the Muppets (blanking on his name right now). Christian is good and also I am fine with secular if it's clean.

HELP please!!! Need something good to read this week because I have a couple days off to just relax and read! Fiction or nonfiction is fine!

I really liked The Thirteenth Tale. It's clean and really sucked me in. The Book Thief is clean, but it made me cry. :( Worth it, but I try to stay away from tear-jerkers normally. My own life has enough to be sad about (haha - sorta). I'm actually enjoying YA fiction with my 12 year old. We listened to the audiobook for Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes, and are now listening to the first Young Sherlock Holmes book, Death Cloud. I can knit while I listen, which means I get more "reading" done AND more knitting.

Miss Julia

No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency

Jeeves & Wooster

Mrs. Pollifax

I just reread Mrs. Mike, a book I'd read as a girl in my mom's Reader's Digest Condensed Books. I'd not remembered the book until seeing the description of the free Kindle download.

http://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Mike-Ben-Nancy-Freedman-ebook/dp/B00FY5YB4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384174202&sr=8-1&keywords=mrs+mike

Elizabeth Goudge:  The Scent of Water and The Dean's Watch.  Most of her wonderful books are out-of-print; however, both of these are available through Amazon.com and, I'm pretty sure, Christian Book Distributors. 

Happy reading!

I 2nd all these ones recommended.

Things I've read and enjoyed-anything by Francine Rivers, Maeve Binchy, John Grisham...

Our tastes are similar. :)

I recommend books by:

Fannie Flagg - my favorite is Can't Wait to Get to Heaven - but I've liked them all. 

Mitch Albom - Tuesdays with Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven - loved them both. 

Ken Follett - Pillars of the Earth, etc. 

Anne Tyler - The Beginner's Goodbye and lots of her other books

Sarah Addison Allen

Alexander McCall Smith - but I much prefer his Isabel Dalhousie series over the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. 

Other Titles:

The Housekeeper and the Professor

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society