Menu

Let's talk about tea again. The kind you drink.

AlmiraGulch

I found that jasmine white silver needle to be pretty fussy with the temperature and brew time. That one has to be perfectly brewed  or it is GAAHH! Bitter! However perfectly brewed it is lovely.

I don't measure water temp (people actually do that?) but if I either a) heat the water in a mug for 2 minutes in the microwave, or b) get the hot water from my Keurig, it's good.  When it was bitter and gross was when I tried to over-steep it.  Blech!  Never again.  If I want a stronger brew I'll follow their instructions and just add more tea. 

I don't measure water temp (people actually do that?) but if I either a) heat the water in a mug for 2 minutes in the microwave, or b) get the hot water from my Keurig, it's good. When it was bitter and gross was when I tried to over-steep it. Blech! Never again. If I want a stronger brew I'll follow their instructions and just add more tea.

We don't measure the temperature. We have gadgetry that does it for us! Here is my beloved water boiler that must appear in every tea thread. It has 3 temperature settings for different types of tea :-)

21B0FFCD-6180-48FD-AF7B-4F12321EE03A-207

Wow.  They really do make something for everything!

I'm drooling over that gorgeous teapot of yours, though.

The monkey teapot was a gift from my kids one year for Christmas. I love that thing.

I think I found dh's soul mate. I better not let him see this.

This is my most used appliance. It's ready for me in the morning and I use it several times a day. I do think that they are now making the electric kettles with different temperature settings, so that might be a less expensive and less counter-cluttering option. There are water boilers that hold less water, but I believe they are just shorter, so they don't take up less space.

I don't measure water temp (people actually do that?) but if I either a) heat the water in a mug for 2 minutes in the microwave, or B) get the hot water from my Keurig, it's good.  When it was bitter and gross was when I tried to over-steep it.  Blech!  Never again.  If I want a stronger brew I'll follow their instructions and just add more tea. 

Heating water in the microwave, or getting it from the Keurig, just doesn't make good black tea. I don't know  why. I use electric tea kettle, with just enough water for whatever cup I'm using, and that takes less than a minute to boil. Gotta have actual boiling water for black tea. :-)

The monkey teapot was a gift from my kids one year for Christmas. I love that thing.

This is my most used appliance. It's ready for me in the morning and I use it several times a day. I do think that they are now making the electric kettles with different temperature settings, so that might be a less expensive and less counter-cluttering option. There are water boilers that hold less water, but I believe they are just shorter, so they don't take up less space.

We had one very similar to what's in your picture when we lived overseas, but I haven't invested in one yet here. I did see a very reasonable electric kettle at Aldi but I don't know if it has temp settings. Dh is very particular about the right temp for different green teas. He cools tea water the really old fashioned way, by pouring the water into a traditional Japanese thingy that looks like a wide open teapot without a top and then pouring it into the teapot. 

I have rediscovered Earl Grey tea.  It is so smoothe and nice.  I like English Afternoon tea as well.  Dd loves English Breakfast with milk and sugar.  I like green tea with a spot of honey.  My all time favorite is ginger tea from Celestial Seasonings but it is only available at Christmas. 

I have used Teechino as a substitue for coffee.  It is good with milk and sugar.