Menu

Let's talk about tea again. The kind you drink.

AlmiraGulch

I know there have been several threads about this topic, but honestly they didn't mean anything to me at the time so I didn't pay attention.  I've searched, but I keep coming up with threads for that OTHER teA. Also not helpful, so here we go again.

I recently (yesterday) rediscovered the joy of freshly brewed, loose-leaf, high quality tea.  I haven't been a tea drinker in many years, beyond iced or the occasional cup at the Chinese restaurant, but I went a bit nutso at the Teavana store and now I have some that I'm really enjoying.

If I recall, I think I used to like roobios but I didn't get any of that this time.  My  favorite of the three I bought is this Silver Needle White.  It's heavenly.  I also bought this Strawberry Rose Champagne, but I'm not enjoying it as much as I think it's too sweet (I don't sweeten it...it just tastes sweet to me).  The third one is this Qi'Lan Fireside Oolong, and I'm also enjoying that. It seems to be not quite as light as the Silver Needle, and has an earthy undertone.  I'm having some right now, actually.  It's soothing.

So....what's your favorite?  How do you take it?  I'm really enjoying it, but it's pretty expensive and I'd love some suggestions before I go spend a ton of money.  Luckily I didn't buy much of any one of these, so I haven't spent too much yet. 

PG Tips with milk and sugar. Nectar of the gods.

I like mine plain, but I'll heartily second the PG Tips. I don't disagree with the arguments that fancier, loose tea is superior, but there's just something life-affirming about PG Tips.

Roasted green tea is also a beautiful thing. 

I like mine plain, but I'll heartily second the PG Tips. I don't disagree with the arguments that fancier, loose tea is superior, but there's just something life-affirming about PG Tips.

I just had to look this up since I've never heard of it.  This is why I ask these questions here!

What are PG Tips?

What are PG Tips?

They're just a brand of tea bags. Regular black tea, in theory, but somehow better than others I've tried. I can get them at my regular grocery store, so they're not hard to find. Though my friend swears that the ones she buys at the Indian grocery are better than the ones she gets elsewhere (despite their being labeled exactly the same and having no discernible difference); I have no idea if there's anything to her theory or she's just deluding herself, but she's happy :).

PG Tips is a basic, strong brand of Indian (black) teabag.  It shouldn't be expensive, because it's the kind of tea that many Brits drink as a staple, many cups a day.  It's similar to 'English Breakfast' but a) it's a brand, not a blend and b ) it's not fancy.  It's normally drunk hot with milk and (if desired) sugar added.

L

Teavana is pure evil. I walk in, planning to try a couple of free samples and be on my way... but then it sucks me in and the next thing you know, I'm whipping out my credit card.

I try to resist. I really do. But it's like the Borg and I have been assimilated or something.

Must. Stay. Away. From. The. Mall.

Here are my tea sources:

www.teaguys.com (too many faves to name them all, but roasted cocoa mate is my go-to weekend breakfast treat)

www.adagio.com (love the cheap shipping and the samplers)

www.harney.com (current faves are Paris and White Christmas, but they have lots of others I really like)

www.elmwoodinn.com (blueberry infusion is to die for - excellent hot or cold, makes an exceptionally good sun tea - all fruit, though, so technically not a true tea)

Teavana is pure evil. I walk in, planning to try a couple of free samples and be on my way... but then it sucks me in and the next thing you know, I'm whipping out my credit card.

I try to resist. I really do. But it's like the Borg and I have been assimilated or something.

Must. Stay. Away. From. The. Mall.

My daughter and I just discovered Teavana's chai blend. It's heavenly. I'm justifying the $1/cup as a lot cheaper than a cup of coffee at Starbuck's. ;-)

My usual tea is Twinings and I vary it up. I also really liked Lipton's Peppermint tea, but it's been discontinued.

I'm not a big tea drinker--I love coffee!--but have recently discovered Tulsi Red Chai Masala by Organic India. Found it at the local health food store. Bought it for dh because he loves chai, but he doesn't like this one. Maybe it's too rooibos for him. Its an herbal blend, sort of a cross between rooibos and chai. It's funny that I like this one because I don't really like chai and have to be in the mood for rooibos. But this one I really like. I've found over the years I don't care for fruity herbals but it's been hard to find a caffeine-free tea that I like.

I HAVE the nice loose teas and all of the teapots and paraphernalia, but I start every morning with a Trader Joe's Irish Breakfast teabag, steeped exactly 5 minutes and served with a teaspoon of sugar and a splash of milk. I'm not a breakfast person and this holds me over for a few hours while I become fully awake.

I second someone else's recommendation for the Organic India Tulsi tea, but I really like the plain (not red) Chai Masala.  It's lower in caffeine, so that's a plus, and tulsi (holy basil)  is an adaptogen herb.  : )  I buy it in bulk.

Another delicious tea is Goodearth's Cocoa Chai.   Yummm, with cacao nibs combined with chai spices.  Tom Thumb used to carry it, but now I have to get it from Amazon.  It's worth the trouble.  : )

My favorites come from Republic of Tea . com.  I always order Ginger Peach, Blackberry Sage and Chai in loose-leaf bulk bags.  I have drank these three for about 10 years and we also order different seasonal varieties on occasion.  I can't recall any we haven't enjoyed.

We drink our hot tea with cream only, no sweetener.   

I wanted to add, that while I LOVE all of my pretty teapots, the one that gets the most use is not the nicest one. It is clear glass, has an insert for loose tea, and washes up nicely in the dishwasher. It makes messing around with loose teas almost as easy as tea bags. I don't think the little spoons and balls that you put in individual mugs let the leaves spread out enough.

I have found Lipton Loose Tea, which to my great surprise does not taste any different than any other loose black tea I've tried. And it's inexpensive.

Sadly, I cannot find it everywhere, so you might not be able to find it, either.

Twinings loose teas are good, and widely available (at least, they are where I live). Cost Plus often has Twinings. You just have to read the container carefully to be sure that it is loose tea and not tea bags. Ask me how I know this. :glare:

My favorite on-line source is Glenbrook Farms. All of the breakfast teas are good; I have also enjoyed the rose tea (a black tea with rose flavoring), and the hazelnut-flavored tea.

I put sweetener and cream in my tea. Always milk/cream in hot tea, never lemon (in iced tea, lemon). :-)

I don't care for tea, but my youngest dd is pretty knowledgeable.  Since I'm her main supplier  :laugh:, I'll tell you her favorite:  Jasmine Dragon Phoenix Pearls.  I would also like to recommend Strand Tea Company as a source.  The teas are high quality, the website has great descriptions, and the price reflects the cost of the tea, not marketing and real estate.  We've been ordering from Strand for several years, and I'm always amazed at the customer service.  About a month ago, I was sending tea to dd at college in NYC, but I somehow managed to put New York, Ohio with the correct zip.  It confused Strand's postage machine, so I received a nice email from Jack Strand clarifying my intended address.  Something similar has happened before.  I like to patronize this business (I have no other interest in the recommendation).

What are PG Tips?

Super low quality sweepings off the drying floor that are packed in tea bags and sold to English people who douse it with so much milk and sugar that they don't know the difference.

It is third (or forth) rate tea that some people are "used to." Bottom of the barrel.

Bill

Super low quality sweepings off the drying floor that are packed in tea bags and sold to English people who douse it with so much milk and sugar that they don't know the difference.

It is third (or forth) rate tea that some people are "used to." Bottom of the barrel.

Bill

That's the POINT of a strong black tea. You CAN add milk and sugar and still taste the tea through all that. I call it 'Breakfast.' Still, I just get my 4th rate sweepings from Trader Joe's at a bargain. It's all about consistency of flavor and caffeine kick in the morning. In the afternoon I switch to real leaves, pots, teacups, and nothing added to the tea. ðŸ˜

I like Tazo Awake or Zhena's Gypsy Coconut Chai hot in the morning. I like Mighty Leaf Green Tea Tropical and Tazo Zen iced. I love Stonewall Kitchen's Raspberry Peach iced and their Cranberry Orange either iced or hot. I must admit I am tempted to try PG Tips as a sort of immunization against becoming an offensive, pompous, tactless, know-it-all snob.

That's the POINT of a strong black tea. You CAN add milk and sugar and still taste the tea through all that. I call it 'Breakfast.' Still, I just get my 4th rate sweepings from Trader Joe's at a bargain. It's all about consistency of flavor and caffeine kick in the morning. In the afternoon I switch to real leaves, pots, teacups, and nothing added to the tea. ðŸ˜

PG Tips isn't even quality black tea. It is very tannic, so one is pretty much forced to mask the flavor with milk and sugar. But it is to tea what Folgers and Maxwell House are to coffee. It is a foil for milk and sugar.

There are extraordinary teas (meaning beverages made from infusions of the leaves of Camellia sinensis, not roobios or peppermint, etc) but PG Tips is not one of them. I know people are habituated to it, but....

Bill

I don't like rooibos. Everyone's palate is different  but for some reason it tastes like chapstick to me.  It's strange...I am not sure why it tastes like that to me. :lol: I also don't care for vanilla in my tea.

I like Jasmine teas, I usually have a couple of them stashed away.  I usually drink green tea   I like white cherry, gunpowder, and I buy Oolong jasmine for when I don't want to fuss with correct temps.

I don't have a local Teavana anymore but when I did I liked that silver needle white someone linked above and I think I tried all of their black teas at some point. I miss it being nearby since they have some very specific teas I enjoy and I could buy 2 ounces at a time so I could try different teas more easily.  This place is near me http://www.amanzitea.com/ I have been pleased with what I have purchased from them so far (except the time I accidentally bought Rooibos bleh!)  I am drinking their cherry pineapple green tea atm. It is good. They tend to have more light/fruity teas. I wish they had more of the black teas that Teavana has. 

This place is also near me but I haven't made it over there yet. http://tealoha.com/ I plan to stop by there Friday when I have to be out that way.

Dh likes chai I bought some nice chai for him recently. :)

I usually grow my own mint, and lemongrass so I don't buy those They are both very easy to grow. I still like making tea from them but because I find them refreshing. :) I particularly like cold lemongrass& mint tea in our hot humid summers.

I am not really a tea snob, I can't have dairy so I am not putting any in my tea. I do toss a tea bag in a cup and then dump lemon and honey in it sometimes. Cheap teas can be good just as some expensive teas can be bad. I have tried some expensive teas that I really would have just preferred a teabag of Twinnings to what I received. People have bought me tea, my sisters even bought me some at Disneyland! :lol: I rather liked the Mad Hatter tea. 

I am putting together a list of things to try from  websites mentioned on the last tea thread :lol: 

I don't care for tea, but my youngest dd is pretty knowledgeable.  Since I'm her main supplier  :laugh:, I'll tell you her favorite:  Jasmine Dragon Phoenix Pearls

I really love jasmine dragon phoenix pearls. I am uber fond of the black jasmine phoenix pearls. I am bummed I cannot get it locally anymore. :( It was fun getting that little bag into my hands and the anticipation on the drive home. :lol:

A little passionate about this subject--I drink several mugs of hot tea each day. Right now I'm trying to decide what after-dinner tea ( for me that means no caffeine) I'm in the mood for.

Most mornings I gravitate toward a chai of some sort.  I use cream and a sprinkle of sugar in my chai.

I never liked milk/cream in my tea until I visited Kenya-- the tea there has so much tannin (I think that is what it is called) that you MUST put hot milk (what they typically serve) in it or you will be sorry! Once I got home I kept the habit (but I do not take the time to warm the milk/cream).

I absolutely love a good pumpkin chai-- again with cream, a sprinkle of sugar and a few drops of stevia...

I actually like most rooibos--the Republic of Tea has a nice strawberry rooibos...

I enjoy a cinnamon tea (HEB store brand).

I have a collection of loose teas as well-- my favorite is a Xiao blend from a specialty shop in the city. It is PRETTY to look at (herbs and flowers and such)... but it has a wonderful flavor...  OK-- that settles it  I MUST have this one tonight!  I don't care for tea leaves in my tea-- so I use disposable tea bags held together with a tea clic.

I just finished a coup of the Qi'Lan Fireside Oolong.  It's really good.  It has a much stronger flavor than the Jasmine Silver Leaf White, my other current favorite, and was a really satisfying evening drink.

Just for fun, I added a little milk this time.  It added just enough to the texture to make it a bit more substantial.  I liked it. 

When I drink Chai I sometimes add sugar (always milk), but that's the only tea I'll add sweetener to, and I have to be in the mood.  When I am, it's really good.  When I'm not....ick.

The Silver Needle White I linked to isn't actually the right one.  It's the Jasmine Silver Needle White I've been drinking, and it's heavenly.

I typically just like the tea with nothing in it, but on occasion I do like a nice black tea with milk.  Never sugar.  I don't like sweet tea.

I found that jasmine white silver needle to be pretty fussy with the temperature and brew time. That one has to be perfectly brewed  or it is GAAHH! Bitter! However perfectly brewed it is lovely.