Menu

Educational software suggestions, please

LostSurprise

My 9 year old received a g-tube and is starting a new feeding routine. He's interested in video games during his time. We currently have some ancient (ie 16 years old) software that plays on an old computer we borrowed...Putt Putt Saves the Zoo, Pajama Sam, etc. 

Any suggestions on educational software that will move us in the the 21st century? ;) Fun stuff, not the worksheet variety?

He's 9, but he has a developmental delay of 3-4 years. I'm doing 1st grade work with him right now (adding/subtracting, 2-digit numbers, reading early-mid 1st grade, loves birds, working on penmanship). Also, his delay means that frantic, button-pushing and need for precise motor control may frustrate him. BUT, with his age we don't want to skew too young either (no preschooler stuff, definitely early-mid elementary age). 

Ideas? 

Maybe if you give more info as to what type of device you want suggestions for. It sounds like you're wanting software for a computer, but you mention older, so the operating system might make a difference as to what people would suggest.

A few years back my son used some of the school zone software. There was a math 1-2 game and I think a spelling game as well, also geared to the first to second grader. We have a mac, and I remember there were fewer choices in software than on the windows based PC. Now he primarily uses and ipad for those sorts of things. 

We use things that are internet based mostly.  Starfall.com takes math up to multiplication and basic fractions.  Iknowthat.com is a little further along.  Jumpstart.com has several options.  Clever Dragons is another. BBC education has a lot of materials.  If you visit BigFishGames.com and take a look at the family and kids games you might find some that you can download and play.  There are several learning resource catalogs that offer actual software that you can purchase and install- but I'm not sure how much of it is entertaining.  Can you do online games- there are more of those than I could name. 

You might browse here if you need the actual software:

http://www.softwareforkids.com/

Thanks for the good start.  :001_smile:

The old educational games I unearthed for him are from '96-97 (Windows 97 compatible/PC). They are definitely compatible with systems up through 2000. Dh had to borrow back a computer he attached to the CDC machine he donated to a Maker group to make them work.  :001_rolleyes: It may or may not be a long term solution. I'm sure he could find something else to hook up to the CDC machine but he lacks a lot of time for that. Our current systems are Windows 7 or 8. We have some Apple products (ipod/ipad) but they wouldn't be available for the time we'd use this. 

I've done some stuff online, but Starfall doesn't make him do things so he listens to them read stories to him. I've pieced together 4-5 other online resources but a lot of things either are too difficult for him (his reading is still entry level and his reaction times slower than average), aren't very educational (most fall into this category), or don't challenge him enough. It's really hard to find things that work!

Thanks...and people should feel free to list web sites or apps they consider helpful for first graders. If we can't use the apps during this time I can always use them in the car or the evening.