Menu

have you read the neverending story?

mmpmelmack

I am looking at books for DS for Christmas, and have settled on the hobbit, and am looking at the neverending story, I don't have time to preread right now.  I am wondering if it has any sexual content?  I don't mind falling in love, or kissing.  But I would not choose the book if there are any other sexual references.  DS is 7 and reads at about a 6-7th grade level.  I am looking for 3 books for Christmas for pleasure reading.  He has read all of harry potter, and Narnia.  He likes to read magic/fantasy  but not super scarey books.  if you have any other ideas for books they would be much appreciated!  TIA!

There's nothing inappropriate.

My eldest read it at 8-ish, and wept when she finished because she'd never be able to read it for the first time again.

There's a gorgeous hardcover edition with Bastian's story in purple text and the remainder in green:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Neverending-Story-Michael-Ende/dp/0525457585/

If he likes this, I'd recommend Ende's Momo in another Christmas or two. :)

There's nothing inappropriate.

My eldest read it at 8-ish, and wept when she finished because she'd never be able to read it for the first time again.

There's a gorgeous hardcover edition with Bastien's story in purple text and the remainder in green:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Neverending-Story-Michael-Ende/dp/0525457585/

If he likes this, I'd recommend Ende's Momo in another Christmas or two. :)

Momo is one of our all-time favorite books, it makes a great read-aloud. I don't hear it mentioned very often...

Just a bit off topic, but I have the book. I showed it to DS and he said, "No I don't want to read it because it says it's never ending!" Hehe

Ask him if he's open to your reading the prologue aloud. That's all it took DD the Younger tonight. She was also put off by the cover. :)

It's a wonderful book.

Just a bit off topic, but I have the book. I showed it to DS and he said, "No I don't want to read it because it says it's never ending!" Hehe

When my now 15 year old read a library copy of Neverending Story at about age 8 it was missing the last page. It really WAS the neverending story!!

We still laugh about it.

I love The NeverEnding Story. The book was a little long-winded, and some parts were a bit creepy ( the starving dog on the chain passage was a bit much for me) but dd was fine with it. We read it when she was 6 though, and I'm easily disturbed whereas those things don't phase her. I'd check out the book and skim. Nothing se*ual in it, though.