Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ravinlunachick

Gift Ideas for a 9yr old mythology fan?

We already own the D'Aulaire's books as well as several others. I'd like to find something other than a book to give her, if possible. She is particularly fond of Greek myths, but enjoys a wide variety.

I had thought about some sort of action figures. Unfortunately, she is not a big fan of Playmobil, though her little sister may get a few sets! ;)

Dover has quite a few coloring and paper doll books related to mythology.

Sometimes museum gift shops have dolls and other types of gifts like you are looking for. I'd look &/or call the Carlos Museum, the British Museum, the Met, and the Smithsonian giftshops for starters....

Etsy would be another place to look.

She might enjoy Mythmatical Battles (and, hey, there's an educational component).

Cafe Press has a lot of mythology based gifts (a mere 18,100 items according to their site).

I've heard good things about the game Zeus on the Loose by Gamewright.

Jim Weiss has the audio Greek Myths, as well as Heroes in Mythology: Theseus, Prometheus, …, and A Storyteller's Version of... Arabian Nights, Egyptian Treasures: Mummies and Myths … among others.

Regards,

Kareni

Does Papo make anything specifically Greek? I know they make a Cerberous and something else, (we have those)........

There is a logic puzzle called Athena

Extreme Dot-to-Dot, mythology edition

Hmmmm.........

Brainstorming will continue.

I believe Safari has several mythogical creatures tubes for small figures, too, just looking at DD's Lego bins (she has one of small figures she uses with Legos, and I see several mythological monsters in there).

If you can find the old Lego Atlantis sets, they're great for building Greek-style buildings. There are medusa, cyclops, and Minotaur minifigs, and mermaids/mermen. in the single series packs (your best bet is EBay to get specific figures). Pharoah's quest had mummies, skeletons, and Anubus (Egyptian mythology), and there's also been a cleopatra minifigs in the series packs. The Fantasy and Historical figures minifigs set is a good one-I don't think it is explicitly mythological, but a lot of "stock characters". My DD built most of the odyssey out of Legos at one point.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I knew I could count on the Hive! We enjoy GameWright games, so I'll definitely check that out.

The best things about Zeus on the Loose are that the box is small, the Zeus is cute, the game is quick to play, and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to quickly understand the rules. You can get started on a game almost immediately.

I think I'm going to get dd a few of those and the tube of mythical creatures (I only saw one but I will double check).

I'm also getting her Zeus on the Loose, a Camp Halfblood t shirt, and at least one Dover Greek coloring book. 

Has anyone seen the Mythlopedia books by scholastic?  I have a couple ordered through the library to look at before I buy them. 

Has anyone seen the Mythlopedia books by scholastic? I have a couple ordered through the library to look at before I buy them.

I just looked them up on Amazon -- they look very cool!

Has anyone seen the Mythlopedia books by scholastic?  I have a couple ordered through the library to look at before I buy them. 

I just looked them up on Amazon -- they look very cool!

Answering my own question here.  I picked up Oh My Gods and She's All That at the library.

Unfortunately I think they're way overpriced :glare: .  The books are really small, 9x7, I was expecting something more the size of an Usborne or DK encyclopedia.  And the book on the Gods has only the male gods then She's All That has only female goddesses. You would need all four books at $11 each to make a full myth encyclopedia.

So, does anyone has a recommendation for a myth encyclopedia?

Answering my own question here. I picked up Oh My Gods and She's All That at the library.

Unfortunately I think they're way overpriced :glare: . The books are really small, 9x7, I was expecting something more the size of an Usborne or DK encyclopedia. And the book on the Gods has only the male gods then She's All That has only female goddesses. You would need all four books at $11 each to make a full myth encyclopedia.

I was picturing big books, too! I agree that they aren't worth the money if they're so small.

My dd has always loved the book Goddesses.

And, don't know if this would work for your dd, but when my dd was younger, one thing she wanted were some fake grapes & a glass carafe to use when playing dress-up. So, a friend went to Michael's & got her a bunch of fake grapes, a green glass carafe w/ a cork stopper, a fake loaf of bread, added a small white sheet (to use as a blanket or toga), etc.... Dd loved it & used those items constantly. I still :lol: that fake grapes were such a birthday hit. Anyway, various dress-up/make-believe stuff, if that is something your dd would still be into....

Answering my own question here.  I picked up Oh My Gods and She's All That at the library.

Unfortunately I think they're way overpriced :glare: .  The books are really small, 9x7, I was expecting something more the size of an Usborne or DK encyclopedia.  And the book on the Gods has only the male gods then She's All That has only female goddesses. You would need all four books at $11 each to make a full myth encyclopedia.

Bulfinch's Mythology is the most comprehensive we have found.  My son wants to major in Classics and it is one recommended by local universities.