Menu

Baker's Chocolate is now a FOUR-ounce box?!

TrixieB

I had the same shock with chocolate just a couple of weeks ago. I knew I had a half package in the pantry, and I grabbed one at the store. I figured I'd be good for several batches of the awesome brownie recipe I found.

When I got home, I thought something was "off" about the shape of the package. I didn't realize it was thinner by half until I actually opened it up and my brain registered that they were wafers, not blocks. :-p :-p :-p

And it's EVERY brand.

This messes with recipes. Frustrating.

Yes! That is definitely the thing that I find the most frustrating!!!

Recipes that call for:

16 oz frozen spinach (most of the packages I'm finding are 10 oz. )

32oz frozen hash browns (now 24 oz)

28 oz spaghetti sauce (now 24 oz)

Etc.

etc.

Very irritating!!!

Yes! That is definitely the thing that I find the most frustrating!!!

Recipes that call for:

16 oz frozen spinach (most of the packages I'm finding are 10 oz. )

32oz frozen hash browns (now 24 oz)

28 oz spaghetti sauce (now 24 oz)

Etc.

etc.

Very irritating!!!

Aaarrrghhh.  This happens to me all the time.  I have a lot of older cookbooks, and I am forever having to use one and a half packages of something to get the right amount.  Drives me nuts.

Last fall Baker's Chocolate was an 8 ounce box. Now it's a 4 ounce box, and the price is the same.

I am so sick of the shrinking game that the food manufacturers are playing.

What is the price? Amazon sells 4 packs of semi-sweet 8oz boxes for $18.90, and unsweetened for $15.99.

I can convert between 4 and 8 oz. the price is ridiculous.

My dd has a cake she likes that calls for several pre pared mixes together. Her sleepover birthday party (16) was last night. I pulled the recipe out and it wanted the 16 oz box of one thing ( now 15), the 4 oz of another ( now 3.9) and 16 oz (now16) of something else. But it also called for 4 eggs, 3/4C oil, and 2 C water. So, if some of the ingredients have stable sizes and others do not at some point the recipe won't work . Last night's cake was fine.

When prices go up (materials, shipping, insurance), people will abandon a brand who increases its price too rapidly...even if those prices have a lot to do with costs. So companies shrink packages because people don't notice that as quickly (or at all). 

They've done the research. It ticks me off too and I'll leave a brand that does it too much, but the truth is that it works. 

My favorite brownie recipe calls for 5 oz of unsweetened chocolate.   So, I bought my usual box which I thought was 6 oz.   Imagine my surprise when I was making the brownies and there was only 4 oz.   WHAT?   So insanely annoying.   I should have noticed it was lighter, but who has the brainpower to keep up with ALL these things?   Please, just raise the price people!!!!

I just used that Baker's box yesterday and was examining the contents with a dumbfounded look on my face. The bars are skinny and only one thin sheet. I was shocked. I figured I picked up the wrong box, that maybe they're offering a 4oz box in addition to the 8oz.

Thanks to who suggested amazon.

Simple substitution for baker's chocolate is cocoa powder. The instructions are on the label. I hate when they play with sizing to trick to people.

I never buy baking chocolate, but keep both "regular" and dark cocoa on hand at all times.  Much more useful to me.

Aside: I don't like recipes that call for a package or container or something. I prefer recipes with real measurements, whether it is ounces, grams, or cups/spoons.  A recipe calling for a 15.5-oz can of diced tomatoes does me no good when I am using diced tomatoes either out of a giant Costco can, or out of my freezer.   (I mean, I can easily figure it out, but how about just "2 cups" or whatever.)

I remember some of my mother's old recipes calling for "a number 2 can of <whatever>."  Somewhere I guess I had a conversion chart for those!

Powder is cheaper. Or get over to Trader Joes. They have the best baking chocolate prices I have seen.

Well, I went to Trader Joe's this afternoon.  They didn't have unsweetened baking bars.  I looked in the baking aisle, and in the chocolate bar section (just in case).  But their cocoa powder is a better price than Hershey's so I bought some to try it.

Well, I went to Trader Joe's this afternoon. They didn't have unsweetened baking bars. I looked in the baking aisle, and in the chocolate bar section (just in case). But their cocoa powder is a better price than Hershey's so I bought some to try it.

That's the issue with TJs. Stock changes too much. Though mostly I bake with the uber dark stuff and not the unsweetened bakers bar.

Well, I went to Trader Joe's this afternoon.  They didn't have unsweetened baking bars.  I looked in the baking aisle, and in the chocolate bar section (just in case).  But their cocoa powder is a better price than Hershey's so I bought some to try it.

They're not with the chocolate bars or with the baking aisle stuff at any of our TJs. They're in "pound plus" huge slabs in the shelves above the freezer section where the chocolate chips and all evil goodies live. :)

This thread has prompted me to go look at my 4 boxes of Baker's chocolate that have been in my pantry for 15 years now.  I don't even know why I have them.  It seems as some point I thought I should have them in my pantry (much like my mother did and she never used it either).  I think I may have used one square to teach my children that not all chocolate is good to eat so don't sneak it.

Breyers isn't even ice cream anymore, it's a "frozen dairy dessert" - check out the carton next time you are at the grocery store.

Have not bought any in a long time because it contains corn syrup.  Have they decreased the milk-fat content such that it no longer qualifies as ice cream?

(Your link won't load in Firefox, so I can't read the article.)

They're not with the chocolate bars or with the baking aisle stuff at any of our TJs. They're in "pound plus" huge slabs in the shelves above the freezer section where the chocolate chips and all evil goodies live. :)

I thought I looked in the right part of the shelves there.  I saw some big chocolate slabs, but none were unsweetened.  :glare:  I will look again next time I go to TJ's.

Breyers isn't even ice cream anymore, it's a "frozen dairy dessert" - check out the carton next time you are at the grocery store.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Haagen-Dazs all the way, baby!  REAL ice cream! Even though it now comes in almost-a-pint size containers. :angry:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Haagen-Dazs all the way, baby!  REAL ice cream! Even though it now comes in almost-a-pint size containers. :angry:

Ben & Jerry's for me!  (chunky monkey)  We actually like to make our own ice cream with the Kitchen Aid attachment.  I think it tastes pretty close, just more like a soft serve ice cream rather than freezer hard.

I never buy baking chocolate, but keep both "regular" and dark cocoa on hand at all times. Much more useful to me.

Aside: I don't like recipes that call for a package or container or something. I prefer recipes with real measurements, whether it is ounces, grams, or cups/spoons. A recipe calling for a 15.5-oz can of diced tomatoes does me no good when I am using diced tomatoes either out of a giant Costco can, or out of my freezer. (I mean, I can easily figure it out, but how about just "2 cups" or whatever.)

I remember some of my mother's old recipes calling for "a number 2 can of <whatever>." Somewhere I guess I had a conversion chart for those!

Not that you asked but:

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blhelp7.htm

I have recipes like that, too. Plus ones that call for a cube of oleo. :lol: