Menu

K'Nex... how would you rate them?

plain jane

I'm looking at getting something different for my boys this Christmas.  They really like building things with blocks, Legos, Gears, Gears, Gears Crazy Creatures, Tinker Toy (although these were used as swords more often than not).  I'm looking at getting them some K'Nex.  One set would be a regular set of around 700 or so pieces, and the other set would be a special Mario themed set, similar to this (just to get the interest level up, my boys are Mario fanatics):

Before I go spending a ton of money on K'Nex however, I'd like to hear from real children :p  just how good, or not, these toys really are.  Thanks!

My son just got his first K'nex for his 7th birthday. He found the model directions to be a lot more challenging to build from than similarly rated Legos. And I haven't seen him do as much imaginative free building with them as with the Legos -- probably because he doesn't want to break his roller coaster. ;) But the accomplishment of building a creation with all those teeny pieces is a bigger deal than finishing a Lego kit, too!

I bought them when they first came out. (90's?)  I have a five-gallon bucket that is nearly full. dudeling likes them, or they'd be gone. 

I won't buy anymore.  lego is the man and is played with far more. (kids were playing with lego into their 20's.)

The Nintendo sets are awesome in theory, but they aren't made well. Whenever I see them in the store I feel tempted to throw the box in the cart, but ultimately I pass on anything knex based on past experience. Most recently we had the Mario kart race track and were disappointed. Several years ago we bought the girls the Ferris wheel set.