Menu

An innocent man spends 25 years in prison

ErinE

His prosecutor, who withheld evidence supporting innocence, gets disbarred, 10 days in jail, and fined $500. According to new reports, it's the first time on record a former prosecutor is going to jail for such a crime. I think it's criminal his sentence is so light.

Here's the story:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/08/21373060-ex-texas-prosecutor-first-in-history-to-be-jailed-for-withholding-evidence

Background on the case:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/innocent-man-part-two?fullpage=1

Another wonderful example of why I'm against plea bargaining. No dang way he should have gotten off so light.

I don't think a jury would have given such a light sentence. The former prosecutor probably knew the prosecuting attorney and the sentencing judge. I don't think the scales of justice are evenly balanced here: losing his son and his in-laws plus 25 years prison vs. 10 days and a minimal fine.

Thanks for linking this. I spent the day reading the Texas Monthly story off and on. It is incredibly well done, but makes me sick to my stomach. I agree with the pp . . . it is unfathomable that we still execute prisoners when the exoneration rates are what they are. The abuse of positions of power at this magnitude is sickening.

On a related note, watch any of the 48 Hours shows on Ryan Ferguson. Last week an appeals court vacated his murder conviction because the prosecution didn't share everything with his defense team. None of the evidence from the crime scene could be linked to him, and the witnesses whose testimony got him convicted have both since recanted and said the DAs pressured them.