Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ErinE

An innocent man spends 25 years in prison

His prosecutor, who withheld evidence supporting innocence, gets disbarred, 10 days in jail, and fined $500. According to new reports, it's the first time on record a former prosecutor is going to jail for such a crime. I think it's criminal his sentence is so light.

Here's the story:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/08/21373060-ex-texas-prosecutor-first-in-history-to-be-jailed-for-withholding-evidence

Background on the case:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/innocent-man-part-two?fullpage=1

Another wonderful example of why I'm against plea bargaining. No dang way he should have gotten off so light.

Another wonderful example of why I'm against plea bargaining. No dang way he should have gotten off so light.

I don't think a jury would have given such a light sentence. The former prosecutor probably knew the prosecuting attorney and the sentencing judge. I don't think the scales of justice are evenly balanced here: losing his son and his in-laws plus 25 years prison vs. 10 days and a minimal fine.

I am glad to hear of the prosecutor being held accountable but I agree with those who say the sentence was too light. At least it sets a precedent for the prosecutor to be held accountable.

What's even more shocking, given crimes against the defendent of this magnitude occur, is that people are still put to death. Hard to release a dead, innocent man.

Thanks for linking this. I spent the day reading the Texas Monthly story off and on. It is incredibly well done, but makes me sick to my stomach. I agree with the pp . . . it is unfathomable that we still execute prisoners when the exoneration rates are what they are. The abuse of positions of power at this magnitude is sickening.

What's even more shocking, given crimes against the defendent of this magnitude occur, is that people are still put to death. Hard to release a dead, innocent man.

I agree - what if he had been sentenced to death?!?!?!

I think that's why he and the family insisted the man who was convicted this March for killing his wife not face the death penalty.

On a related note, watch any of the 48 Hours shows on Ryan Ferguson. Last week an appeals court vacated his murder conviction because the prosecution didn't share everything with his defense team. None of the evidence from the crime scene could be linked to him, and the witnesses whose testimony got him convicted have both since recanted and said the DAs pressured them.

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE A COUPON FOR
10% OFF
We respect your privacy.You’ll hear about new products, special discounts & sales, and homeschooling tips. *Coupon only valid for first-time registrants. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer. Entering your email address makes you eligible to receive future promotional emails.
0 Shares
Tweet
Pin