Menu

dairy free "milk" that tastes great, and isn't cross contaminated

Spryte

with peanuts, tree nuts, or wheat?  Anyone have a great suggestion?  

Would like something to put on cereal for a picky eater.

We can have coconut milk, but have only tried the kind in cans that we know is not cross contaminated with other nuts.  But kiddo doesn't care for coconut milk - probably because he had to eat it plain for his 4 hour food challenge recently.  :)

Thanks for any help here!

Maybe hemp milk? I don't have any right now so I can't check what it says about allergens and cross contamination, but some people really like it. :) I don't love it, but it has a very good nutritional profile.

Also, So Delicious coconut milk in cartons says they are not cross contaminated. If your DS gets over his dislike for it, maybe that will be an option.

Flaxseed milk tastes awful, fwiw.

Good to know!  I just looked at flaxseed milk at the store.

Have emailed So Delicious, Silk, Rice Dream, and a bunch of other companies.  Hopefully we'll get some responses that are positive for no cross contamination (did that make sense?).

I'll try to find hemp milk, too.

He misses cereal with milk.  Juice doesn't appeal.  And obviously yogurt is out - he's allergic to dairy.  :)  

Thanks for all the ideas!

Hemp can cross with sesame (I mean in fields/transport in my understanding, not that they share proteins). I only mention because my tree nut anaphylactic son has sesame (it shares a protein with pistachio and cashew). This kid reacted to hemp. I had no idea that hemp could be dangerous for him. He is not actually hemp allergic I don't think. It was sesame contamination. 

I'd be careful with any extensive use of rice milks because of arsenic in rice.

I hope you find a safe sub he likes. It's so frustrating to have food allergies sometimes! If not, maybe you could add something to the coconut milk to make it a little more tasty to him? I'll say that my food allergy kid has found he starts to like things he didn't at first once he tries them enough. If this is sort of a new adjustment for him, maybe you could do alternative breakfasts with cereal/coconut once or twice a week to ease him in? We just do dry cereals here, though generally we eat non-cereal oriented breakfasts.

He misses cereal with milk.  Juice doesn't appeal.  And obviously yogurt is out - he's allergic to dairy.   :)

I can appreciate they aren't the same as milk, but there are non-dairy yogurts out there.  We've had mixed success.  The coconut yogurt was probably the best to suit our tastes, but YMMV.

Would goat milk be an option? Some people with dairy issues (particularly lactose) tolerate it well, others don't. If you can get it fresh, it tastes pretty much identical to cow milk - the goaty flavor that many people find off-putting and that is present in most grocery store goat milk develops over time.

Homemade coconut milk (made from shredded coconut) is my favorite taste-wise for straight drinking, cereal, things like that. It's also cheap, but definitely more effort. Canned coconut milk tends to taste stale and oily in comparison. Canned coconut milk watered down some might also be more appealing. I do use canned for baking and so forth. (Haven't tried the boxed, so I can't comment on that)

Rice milk is a reasonable replacement taste-wise, but has pretty much no redeeming nutritional value if that's a concern. Similar with oat milk, but that seems likely to be cross-contaminated with wheat as well. 

We don't drink cow's milk here, but I know the almond milk we use won't work for you. :(   (We have dealt with lots of allergy issues, too.)

One option, though, is what I often have for breakfast: 

rolled oats (raw)

raisins

fresh fruit

orange juice (in place of milk)

LOVE it! 

I would get a SoyaJoy machine and make your own. It doesn't make coconut milk so I still buy that, but for any kind of grain/seed/nut it works well.

Does it specifically say not to use coconut? The process for making coconut milk is basically identical to the process for nut milk - soak, blend, strain.

Allergies here too. We stopped eating cereals. Now we eat organic rice or organic oats. Azure Standard has delivery now to our area and has fabulous prices on large quantities of these. We keep dried unsweetened coconut flakes in house and use them to make coconut milk when needed for recipes. I recently read it is better if you heat it in the water first then process it. But I haven't tried that yet. It's just nice to have it around when needed.