Menu

Dog people ... eye goop?

Hey dog people,

Why does my dog (a 4yo full sized labradoodle) have a milky, translucent eye goop every morning?  I had attributed it to seasonal allergies, which he does seem to suffer from (lots of scratching during those seasons.)  But, it is nearing winter, well past the first frost, and he still gets this in the mornings.  He did have an eye infection over a year ago and that goop was more yellow in color.  He is on high quality kibble and wet food.  Is this normal?  While I like our vet - he is rather low key - I am pretty sure he will downplay it or tell me to just give him Benedryl.  Since my dog acts strangely on Benedryl, I would rather save that for when he is suffering more. 

No, I don't think it's normal.  OTOH, that doesn't mean it's something you really need to worry about.  Do his eyes otherwise seem okay?  No redness or rubbing at them?  Are both eyes involved, or just one?

There are other antihistamines you can give besides Benadryl.  It's usually recommended first, because it's cheap and many people already have it on hand.  It won't work for all dogs.  It's usually a trial-and-error process to find out which antihistamine works best for a given dog.  Some of the newer ones like Claritin and Zyrtec seem to work better for many dogs.  You can probably Google and find dosages, or give your vet a call.  But . . . if he's not exhibiting other signs of allergies (like generalized itchiness), then I'd be inclined to take him in and have his eye checked out, just in case.  Especially if it's just one eye.

Also, no matter how "good" a brand of food supposedly is, it won't agree with all dogs.

We have a almost 3 year old Boxer and he has "eye boogers" almost everyday. Breeder and Vet were unconcerned. They do not bother him nor are his eyes red or itchy.  

It may be just a quirk of my breed. However if they started happening suddenly but was not bothering him then I would be watchful in case it progressed into somthing more serious.

It is both eyes.  He does rub his face on furniture to try to get rid of them, but tries to get me to stop when I try to remove them (by licking me.)  They are in the inside corners of his eyes and I have to rub those corners to loosen the goop and wipe it off with a tissue or Qtip.  He isn't generally very itchy now.  Only a little bit of scratching.  We have had to search high and low for a dog food that he can have - can't have grain or chicken or he has runny stools.  As an active dog (walks 5 miles a day), he needs a higher protein food.  After EVO red meat was recalled twice in 6 months, we switched to Wellness Core Ocean as it was slightly less expensive than two other, less available dog foods. 

Has this been a consistent problem or is it something new as of this year?  

Poodles (the doodle part of your mix) are known for having lots of tears.  If I remember right it has something to do with the shape of their faces.  In general it isn't a problem, other than cosmetic.  Simply wipe out the eyes with warm water and make sure to dry them afterward to prevent tear stains.  I usually take care of my Poodle's face both morning and evening.

On the other hand, if it is new(ish) for your dog, then it needs to be addressed.  A new vet who isn't quite as laid back may be needed.

Thosee are little different than my boxer. His don't require that much effort to remove. Don't have any advice but I hope that it is not serious. Vets are expensive and it is no fun to see your pet uncomfortable.  :(

I'd get him checked out.  Could be a sign of something more serious(diabetes for example).  I was a vet tech in my former life and this is not uncommon.  Not to worry you, it is probably nothing, but, better safe than sorry :001_smile:

UPDATE: 

Took the dog to the vet on an unrelated issue (bladder infection - saw blood in the urine minutes before I was supposed to leave for an out of town trip.)  So, I asked ds17, who was taking him to the vet, to ask about the eye goop.  The vet saw some of it in there and said that it was most likely allergy related and it should lessen as winter comes in.  He said to keep doing what we were doing - gently wiping it out - and to bring him in if the color changes from the milky translucent color.  And his bladder infection is clearing up since he is on antibiotics.

UPDATE: 

Took the dog to the vet on an unrelated issue (bladder infection - saw blood in the urine minutes before I was supposed to leave for an out of town trip.)  So, I asked ds17, who was taking him to the vet, to ask about the eye goop.  The vet saw some of it in there and said that it was most likely allergy related and it should lessen as winter comes in.  He said to keep doing what we were doing - gently wiping it out - and to bring him in if the color changes from the milky translucent color.  And his bladder infection is clearing up since he is on antibiotics.

Just saw your update.  I'm glad the vet thinks it isn't anything serious.

I've never used it myself, but I have heard good things about Vetericyn eye drops for dogs with excess tearing related to allergy issues.  I hope your pup is feeling better soon!