Menu

Anyone's kids sleep in a metal loft bed?

ChristusG

Our girls share a room and my DD9 really needs a desk in there.....but we don't have room for one. They are currently in an Ikea Kura bunk bed, which DD9 is getting a little big for. I was thinking of getting DD9 a loft bed with a desk underneath. However, we can't spend a lot. There's a metal one at WalMart for under $200. I'm just wondering how sturdy they are? How well made? If we do this, I plan to switch DD6 to the top bunk of the Kura bed and put some of her things underneath. Plus, DD9 is getting a guinea pig for Christmas so we'll need room for their cage in the kids bedroom. UGH LOL....I need a bigger house.

We have a Wal-mart one - under $200 - possibly the one to which you are referring. Our now 20 year old, has slept in it for 3 years now. It would do best in a room with 9' ceilings as our 6'1" guy does have to duck a bit if sitting upright. I recommend a low profile mattress to give a bit more headroom. But, as far as sturdiness, we never had any trouble. 

Not a metal one, but we have a wood one from IKEA.  DD15 had it until she was too tall for it (ceiling issue) and then it moved to dd8s room. We haven't had a problem with it at all.  

You may want to check Craigslist. You can find loft beds on there in our area quite frequently.