Menu

World Geography courses

I am looking for your suggestions on an open and go, student directed geography course for the high school level.  We are not afraid of tests.  But I hate making them up myself, so hopefully there will be tests already written.

In Ontario, he would need one geography credit approx. 150 hours ( Carnegie)  Since, my eldest two were in the school system, I know that it was a joke of a class my kids sat in.  They spent the first 2 weeks learning how to colour in maps neatly.  I'm not looking for my son with delays in his fine motor skills to be expected to colour in map neatly.

He loves history and doing his work on a computer is prefered due to his difficulty in holding a pencil.  Typing is his preferred choice for any written work.

Please tell me what curriculum you and your child enjoyed.  Thanks

We're using Oak Meadow and my son's enjoying it!

Oak Meadow provides a syllabus along with the textbook, which has questions and answers as well as activities for each weekly chapter.  Many of the activities are research-style projects and can certainly be completed with the help of a computer.

The text is by Glencoe (I think!) --- informative and very colorful with lots of detailed maps.

I highly recommend it as it's easy to pick up and go....and my son is able to complete the work independently.

Here's a link:

http://www.oakmeadow.com/curriculum/high-school-social-studies.php

It's the 4th one on the list and there's a sample available to view for the syllabus.

We used PAC World Cultural Geography last year.  We really enjoyed it!  I added music/art/architecture/cuisine to make it more engaging. 

Just curious, what types of resources did you add for for the music, art, architecture, etc? Thinking of using the PAC geography course as well.

Just curious, what types of resources did you add for for the music, art, architecture, etc? Thinking of using the PAC geography course as well.

We used the internet a fair amount.  Our library has a nice selection of travel "coffee table" type books with gorgeous photos.  Art was easier to do by region.  We checked books out of the library on African art, Asian art, etc.  I have a few architecture books that I've purchased at used booksales.  They were excellent resources.

Music was fairly easy to do using the net and what I already had on my ipod.  Music was really fun actually.  We listened to some folk music as well as modern music.   We could also watch some video of folk dancing. 

You can chose to study an individual country or a region.  We found it interesting to listen to or watch music/dancing from various countries within a region and compare/contrast the differences.  Ethnic clothing was interesting as well. 

One dd also did some research on languages.  How they compared/contrasted.  The origin of the language and evolution of the language and how it developed. 

Also, we read books from the region.  We picked short stories, poems, longer works from various countries to read.  Adding a few recipes to give "local flavor" made the study very interesting.

The sky is really the limit with this study.  You can rocket through it, or you can really did deeper into it.