Menu

English Curriculum ?

I am wondering if there is an English curriculum that is pretty self-explanatory and encompasses grammar, writing and literature for high school which uses whole books as well as short stories and poetry.  I am not looking for something super rigorous, as my DD14 is not a strong reader, but I do not seem to have enough hours in a day to spend a lot of time with her.

Hake Grammar 8 would give the grammar and writing parts and then Lightening Literature or Literary Lessons Lord of the Rings could make up the Literature part.  (If you are looking for self teaching, clear, straight-forward and not terribly difficult for a 14 year old).

Possibly Oak Meadow?

I will look into Oak Meadow.

Hake Grammar 8 would give the grammar and writing parts and then Lightening Literature or Literary Lessons Lord of the Rings could make up the Literature part.  (If you are looking for self teaching, clear, straight-forward and not terribly difficult for a 14 year old).

I am looking for self-teaching, clear, straight-forward and not terribly difficult for a 14 year old!  Do you know if Hake Grammar and Writing includes essays?  I have looked at Lightening Lit, but I will look again.  I do not think LLLotR will work as this girl is not interested in any kind of fantasy writing.  

Now that I think of it, another option might be K12's Literary Analysis and Composition.  It's considered an 8th/9th grade course, and it has everything--grammar, writing, vocabulary, and literature.

I also think that Nscribe's idea of combining Hake Grammar and Lightning Lit is a good one.

Now that I think of it, another option might be K12's Literary Analysis and Composition.  It's considered an 8th/9th grade course, and it has everything--grammar, writing, vocabulary, and literature.

I also think that Nscribe's idea of combining Hake Grammar and Lightning Lit is a good one.

Thank you, Kai.  I will look at K12 as well.

BJU English covers both grammar and writing, but you would need another program for literature.  BJU offers literature for high school, but not in the same book/course as English. 

Analytical Grammar offers grammar, but not writing or literature.  They do have resources for The Essay and The Research Paper to cover writing. 

CLP has a grammar and writing book, but again, the lit is separate.

Lightning Lit or Excellence in Lit coupled with a grammar program would work.

Check out Excellence in Lit's Intro to Literature level. I think it is a great choice for a 14 yr old that isn't a strong reader. Very friendly literature choices..

Thanks you for this. Excellence in Lit looks justl ike what I need for my friend I am helping !

For her younger one I am thinking to split the 1st course into 2 years maybe? Anyone used that? (need 7th - 12th covered).

She is planning to have the papers graded by one of those pay per paper services, any recommendations?

Thanks you for this. Excellence in Lit looks justl ike what I need for my friend I am helping !

For her younger one I am thinking to split the 1st course into 2 years maybe? Anyone used that? (need 7th - 12th covered).

She is planning to have the papers graded by one of those pay per paper services, any recommendations?

For 7th & 8th I really like Lightning Lit's Jr High series (LL7 & LL8). They are significantly more gentle than EIL. We do LL 7, LL 8, EIL Intro (9th), then skip over EIL Lit & Composition and head right into EIL American. 

You can use each EIL unit independently, so you can easily spread them out or rearrange them any way that works for you.