Menu

Any experience, opinions, or otherwise, on UT Dallas?

Elisabet1

You can PM me if you prefer. But, I loved UT Dallas when we visited. We have visited multiple times and I still feel that way. I really liked it better than A&M, based on the visits and such. It really has come a long way. And the average SAT scores are even higher than A&M and they have way better scholarships and such.

Problem is, people have commented to my daughter and me that she would be a fool to pass up A&M for UT Dallas. This is our ONLY qualm on this school. I am wondering if there is something I am missing here. I know that 20 years ago, UT Dallas was pretty unheard of. But it seems to have come a long way, and perhaps is even passing A&M by. Plus, it appears so far like it might be more affordable.

Please help with any and all advice! And PM me if you prefer.

Both of my older girls are at UT Dallas. I think it's a great campus. I think it's less well-known mostly because it started off as a graduate school only. Then they added junior and senior level courses. They had their first freshman class just 20 years ago.

My kids have had no problems with classes being canceled. The only time my oldest has had difficulty with getting into a class she wanted was when she waited 2 weeks past her registration date to even look at the class schedule for the next semester. My middle dd won't have any difficulties with classes filling up before her registration slot as long as she is in the honors program, because they have registration priority. She can register tomorrow even though she is a freshman. My oldest is a junior and won't be eligible to register until next week.

The dorms and apartments on campus are fantastic. My 20yo is in the apartments and my 18yo is in the dorms.

UTD has great scholarships available, so definitely wait until you hear about scholarship offers to make a decision. With my 20yo, the letter came mid-December, but with my 18yo, the letter came at the beginning of January.

If your dd wants to major in geology, then I would probably push towards A&M. Otherwise, I'd go for UT Dallas all the way.

My oldest looked at A&M, but the football culture was so prevalent there that she absolutely hated it.

Both of my older girls are at UT Dallas. I think it's a great campus. I think it's less well-known mostly because it started off as a graduate school only. Then they added junior and senior level courses. They had their first freshman class just 20 years ago.

My kids have had no problems with classes being canceled. The only time my oldest has had difficulty with getting into a class she wanted was when she waited 2 weeks past her registration date to even look at the class schedule for the next semester. My middle dd won't have any difficulties with classes filling up before her registration slot as long as she is in the honors program, because they have registration priority. She can register tomorrow even though she is a freshman. My oldest is a junior and won't be eligible to register until next week.

The dorms and apartments on campus are fantastic. My 20yo is in the apartments and my 18yo is in the dorms.

UTD has great scholarships available, so definitely wait until you hear about scholarship offers to make a decision. With my 20yo, the letter came mid-December, but with my 18yo, the letter came at the beginning of January.

If your dd wants to major in geology, then I would probably push towards A&M. Otherwise, I'd go for UT Dallas all the way.

My oldest looked at A&M, but the football culture was so prevalent there that she absolutely hated it.

My daughter already did not like A&M because of the football culture also.