Menu

need a use for small single skeins of sock/fingering yarn (preferably to knit)

kbutton

A friend gave me some wonderful sock yarn that was intended to be ankle socks. I won't wear them, but now I have three skeins of yarn that will not work at all with patterns I have or can find free online (Knitting Pattern Central). It's fingering weight yarn, none of the three colors can be combined together (heathery purple, pink, and dark turquoise). I have 231 yards/50 grams of each, and it's superwash merino/nylon. I have boys, so these colors will not do for them. Every promising pattern leaves me just a little short of yarn, and I already have some odd lengths of sock yarn that I'm using for toddler mittens. I have one of the One-skein Wonders books, but I really don't need a checkbook cover. Even the handwarmer patterns I like require more yarn. I might be able to combine the turquoise with a grey, but then, I'm still not sure what to do with it, except maybe make a hat (and then I'm not sure what "weight" the two strands together would be). I am not really interested in making up my own striped pattern (not enough experience to be comfortable with the idea).

Ideas appreciated...even having a more reliable directory of free patterns to peruse (by yarn weight and length) would help if someone has suggestions that way.

Second searching Ravelry. I'm not sure you'll be able to see this if you're not a member but there are 6 pages of free knitting patterns that call for 225 yds of fingering wt yarn that are not socks. Not all of those will truly be within that range but you'll still have a lot to choose from--shawlettes, fingerless mitts, hats and more.

ETA: hmm, now it says 29 pages, not sure what happened there.

Yep, ravelry is the place for a question like this -- enter type of yarn and yardage in the search, plus type of craft (knitting), whether you only want free patterns (this would rule out any patterns in books or magazines), only patterns with pictures, etc.